• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ex-Gun Store owner sticking it to the City of Alexandria

Chuckles

imported post

If you have lived in Alexandria, you probably know of the Trophy Room in Old Town.

If you have lived in Alexandria, you probably know what a bunch of stuck-ups they have in the City Hall.

This is a story about Mr. Zarlenga, who used to own the Trophy Room, a hunting and fishing store, and whose store was basically forced to close by the city government. Instead of fading quietly into the sunset, Mr. Zarlenga rented his store space to someone who subsequently opened a SEX SHOP. By his own admission, Zarlenga wanted to rent out the space to someone who would surely aggravate the city. Well, I say, Good For Him!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/28/AR2009022801976.html

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Chuckles wrote:
If you have lived in Alexandria, you probably know of the Trophy Room in Old Town.

If you have lived in Alexandria, you probably know what a bunch of stuck-ups they have in the City Hall.

This is a story about Mr. Zarlenga, who used to own the Trophy Room, a hunting and fishing store, and whose store was basically forced to close by the city government. Instead of fading quietly into the sunset, Mr. Zarlenga rented his store space to someone who subsequently opened a SEX SHOP. By his own admission, Zarlenga wanted to rent out the space to someone who would surely aggravate the city. Well, I say, Good For Him!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/28/AR2009022801976.html
Funny? Maybe in a perverse sort of way but hardly OC related even by a stretch. Not really something I would even like to see related to our cause.

Yata hey

Virginiaplanter

imported post

"Tell George his recruiting Expences are not allowed, nor any of the Minute Officers. I have got a Warrant for £3..5 for the two Guns, chd. in his Acct. furnished the Detachment of his Compy. wch. march'd with Ensign Cofer. I have spoken to Capt. Lee about the two Guns, his Compy. carried from Dumfries; but he says he knows nothing about them, & unless George can make some other Proof, they will be lost, & no Satisfaction recd. for them; especially as Capt. Lee's Company, wth. the rest of the third Regiment is ordered to march imediatly to Carolina. He shou'd also get a Certificate from Ensign Cofer for the Musket he took of mine from John Tillet's Shop; tho' I had much rather have the Musket re-turn'd; for as we have a Bayonet for her, she wou'd now sell at £5…10."" - George Mason to Martin Cockburn., June 23, 1776.

The John Tillet mentioned was a gunsmith that had a shop in the town of Alexandria. So, The town council closed down what was an authentic 18th century business. The people of the City of Alexandria in relying on government people who don't know history are getting screwed by the City Town Council and zoning boards, not Mr. Zarlenga.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Virginiaplanter wrote:
"Tell George his recruiting Expences are not allowed, nor any of the Minute Officers. I have got a Warrant for £3..5 for the two Guns, chd. in his Acct. furnished the Detachment of his Compy. wch. march'd with Ensign Cofer. I have spoken to Capt. Lee about the two Guns, his Compy. carried from Dumfries; but he says he knows nothing about them, & unless George can make some other Proof, they will be lost, & no Satisfaction recd. for them; especially as Capt. Lee's Company, wth. the rest of the third Regiment is ordered to march imediatly to Carolina. He shou'd also get a Certificate from Ensign Cofer for the Musket he took of mine from John Tillet's Shop; tho' I had much rather have the Musket re-turn'd; for as we have a Bayonet for her, she wou'd now sell at £5…10."" - George Mason to Martin Cockburn., June 23, 1776.

The John Tillet mentioned was a gunsmith that had a shop in the town of Alexandria. So, The town council closed down what was an authentic 18th century business. The people of the City of Alexandria in relying on government people who don't know history are getting screwed by the City Town Council and zoning boards, not Mr. Zarlenga.
Interesting historical insight. Would be fascinating to to find that the locations were one and the same.

Yata hey

AbNo

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Chuckles wrote:

Funny? Maybe in a perverse sort of way but hardly OC related even by a stretch. Not really something I would even like to see related to our cause.

Yata hey
It's not OC related, but it's RKBA related.

Zarlenga is making a stand, in a rather humorous way.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I met Mike. He also took my Utah class a couple of months ago. He is a real decent guy. The City should not have screwed him like that. Guess they figured he should be giving more to their campaign funds.

mobeewan

imported post

I think he should hurry up before they rezone andopen a bondage and fetish shop in his other building, complete with authentic wooden stocks and 18th century styleclothing in latex and rubber.