• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hey guys, I'm new here!

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hey guys, what's going on. I'm somewhat new to the whole gun scene. Been practicing with my new SIG P226 .40 cal for the past few weeks and just applied to get my CCP as well. I'm thinking about going OC to test the waters. I feel a little nervous and self conscious though I know I shouldn't because I'm exercising a basic right. I've been thinking about taking the famed Wally-World (Wal-Mart) Tour for the past few days. Been working up the nerve to actually do it. Guys have any advice for a first time OC person?:?

Orygunner

imported post

Hi Dispatcher, and welcome to OCDO!

Absolutely the most critical piece of advice you really must follow is this:

Know the state and local firearm related laws for where you live!

I would suggest checking in the State forum here on OCDO for where you are located, and you will probably find forum threads that link to your local laws.

You should take the time and energy to studyand understand the applicable laws for yourself so that you have 100% confidence that what you are doing is legal. Don't take what anyone posts here on the forums as fact, because "someone on the internet said I could" is not an excuse that's going to hold up in court.

Once you're sure what you're doing is legal, enjoy exercising your right!

...Oh, and fill in your account info with your Location (at least your State) so we know where you are...
...Orygunner...

Dispatcher

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Oh, I'm from Virginia! I like to take everything I hear with a grain of salt. I'm doing extensive research on my state and local laws.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dispatcher wrote:
Oh, I'm from Virginia! I like to take everything I hear with a grain of salt. I'm doing extensive research on my state and local laws.
Wecome to OCDO. Why don't you join us over in the Virginia forum? There are quitea few active members down in the Tidewater area who can give good advice, share experiences, and enlighten you.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

In Virginia, you can OC more places than you can CC (under the laws of the state). Basically, OC is the norm whereas CC is the exception since to OC requires no "permission" form our employees (read that as local and state governmental agency personnel) and CC requires a permit (from the word "permission") to carry an arm.

One of the most interesting things is this. You will most likely notice that few people give you a thought or second glance when you are OC'ing.

Enjoy and please do join the frey.