Thread: Why you do not wear a Kydex paddle holster

Post imported post

I don't have a Kydex paddle holster but thought I would pass this along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ

Post imported post

...dang, Earl, that's baaaaaaaaaaaaaad.....

Post imported post

I have the sneaking suspicion that it was a low end one or it was a set-up.

State Researcher

Post imported post

OMG stop posting that dang video. That's an incredibly old Fobus holster that has since been redesigned. On top of that, the whole mechanics of how he broke the thing is so ridiculous that it would almost never happen in a real situation.

Properly designed and manufactured paddle holsters are very sturdy and safe for open carry.

Post imported post

not likely, when i'm not wearing a shoulder rig, i use a fobus paddle holster, just like that one. my buddy and i tried to do what the video showed, and guess what? my (nearly new) pants almost ripped instead of the holster breaking! looks like one of those "staged" videos to me....
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

...good looking out, though, if this were indeed a problem, it would have been good info...
    When the **** hits the fan, ask yourself: What Would Bugly Do?

Post imported post

Just put some stress on my Fobus....don't think it'll break like that.

Post imported post

Hmm...comforting to hear that people have put this to the test. I've been looking into a new holster, and I was seriously considering a fobus until I came across that video. This lead me to the much more expensive blackhawk, which is a very nice holster, but a little more than I cared to spend. Don't get me wrong, I was going to spend it as the security of the holster is significantly more important than the price tag, but if I can get a safe fobus, I'm all for it.

Fobus is also making a belt loop holster now, as well, which is a bit more to my preference, if anyone cares. Just thought I'd throw it out there, since it's a fairly new addition to their line.

Thanks to all of you who gave it a test and found it to be safe and reliable.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

That is a very old video. To my knowledge, no one has been able to duplicate the results; nevertheless, Fobus did considerable work strengthening their design a while back.

Fobus belt slide holsters have been available for some time now - their Roto holster system is available for those that like to play with their holsters.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Plus you have to understand that Fobus isn't made of kydex. It's just plastic. Believe me, I have a real kydex holster and a semi couldn't break it.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Fobus belt slide holsters have been available for some time now - their Roto holster system is available for those that like to play with their holsters.

Yata hey
    The roto option has been available for some time, the standard (not roto) belt holster that fits a taurus 9mm (as well as the similar glocks) has not. It wasn't on their site, and I called and spoke with a service rep, who advised me that it was in the works but not available yet. It is now.

My apologies for not being sufficiently specific as to the recent addition to their line.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

NightOwl wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
    The roto option has been available for some time, the standard (not roto) belt holster that fits a taurus 9mm (as well as the similar glocks) has not. It wasn't on their site, and I called and spoke with a service rep, who advised me that it was in the works but not available yet. It is now.

My apologies for not being sufficiently specific as to the recent addition to their line.
    My reply was only intended to be generic - glad they make it for you Taurus now.

Personally prefer the Blackhawk for my 1911s but that too is just a preference.

Success is finding what works for you.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.