• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why you do not wear a Kydex paddle holster

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

OMG stop posting that dang video. That's an incredibly old Fobus holster that has since been redesigned. On top of that, the whole mechanics of how he broke the thing is so ridiculous that it would almost never happen in a real situation.

Properly designed and manufactured paddle holsters are very sturdy and safe for open carry.

bugly

imported post

not likely, when i'm not wearing a shoulder rig, i use a fobus paddle holster, just like that one. my buddy and i tried to do what the video showed, and guess what? my (nearly new) pants almost ripped instead of the holster breaking! looks like one of those "staged" videos to me....

NightOwl

imported post

Hmm...comforting to hear that people have put this to the test. I've been looking into a new holster, and I was seriously considering a fobus until I came across that video. This lead me to the much more expensive blackhawk, which is a very nice holster, but a little more than I cared to spend. Don't get me wrong, I was going to spend it as the security of the holster is significantly more important than the price tag, but if I can get a safe fobus, I'm all for it.

Fobus is also making a belt loop holster now, as well, which is a bit more to my preference, if anyone cares. Just thought I'd throw it out there, since it's a fairly new addition to their line.

Thanks to all of you who gave it a test and found it to be safe and reliable.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

That is a very old video. To my knowledge, no one has been able to duplicate the results; nevertheless, Fobus did considerable work strengthening their design a while back.

Fobus belt slide holsters have been available for some time now - their Roto holster system is available for those that like to play with their holsters. :)

Yata hey

chris in va

imported post

Plus you have to understand that Fobus isn't made of kydex. It's just plastic. Believe me, I have a real kydex holster and a semi couldn't break it.

NightOwl

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Fobus belt slide holsters have been available for some time now - their Roto holster system is available for those that like to play with their holsters. :)

Yata hey
The roto option has been available for some time, the standard (not roto) belt holster that fits a taurus 9mm (as well as the similar glocks) has not. It wasn't on their site, and I called and spoke with a service rep, who advised me that it was in the works but not available yet. It is now.

My apologies for not being sufficiently specific as to the recent addition to their line.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

NightOwl wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
The roto option has been available for some time, the standard (not roto) belt holster that fits a taurus 9mm (as well as the similar glocks) has not. It wasn't on their site, and I called and spoke with a service rep, who advised me that it was in the works but not available yet. It is now.

My apologies for not being sufficiently specific as to the recent addition to their line.
My reply was only intended to be generic - glad they make it for you Taurus now. :)

Personally prefer the Blackhawk for my 1911s but that too is just a preference.

Success is finding what works for you.

Yata hey