• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What kind of interferances are permitted with firing guns on rural private property?

CathyInBlue

imported post

I'm considering buying real estate in a rural, southern Indiana county. I have concerns that neighbors might object to the noise and get the law involved in some manner. What kind of legal defenses do properly set up ranges for private use only situated on private land outside of any corporation-run town or city have against such busy-bodies?

In addition, as it stands, the real estate resale company that holds the land wants to enforce a "covenant" on it. Not in my lifetime will I consent to such idiocy, but I wonder if anyone else might have encountered similar idiotic encroachments on their private property rights. This particular convenant contains this line.

No noxious or offensive activity shall be carried on upon any lot.

Now, I have no intention of signing any legal document making any covenant enforceable against me or my private property, and this one contains a number of obvious misspellings and grammaticly tortured passages that would seem to make enforcement problematic, but I can see neighbors who have thinking I had as well, and trying to use that clause against me since firearms are obviously noxious and offensive.

What say you, Indiana OC?

Prometheus

imported post

Ahh the joys of buying real estate. You actually don't own it.

We need to fight for Allodial title here in Indiana. Thats another topic.

If you live OUTSIDE of city limits you can shoot on your own land. If you own over 40 acres (might be 30) you can shoot on your own land even if you live in city limits.

Private property is not subject to the same laws as public shooting ranges.

They cannot actually do anything to you about noise during "normal hours" I don't have the statute handy, but it's something like 7am to 10pm give or take an hour or two.

You'll need to read all the statutes. Also call the Sheriffs office and speak with someone who actually KNOWS which isn't always easy. Best bet, do some reading at in.gov, the online codes and statutes make it pretty easy.

ralphb72

imported post

In our County there is no law about the discharge of firearms (outside city limits). I read something the other day that said they get and respond to shots fired calls and go to check them out and make ask the person to be considerate of their neighbors if they are shooting at night etc.

Anderson IN

imported post

I have a place just outside of French Lick/West Baden andtarget practice offthe back poarch all the time.

Talked with the local LEO and he stated as long as you are not in city limits have at it! :monkey

357mag mama

imported post

I live 10+ miles out of town in rural Grant County and have just 1 acre, my neighbor has 11 acres and we don't get along. Last week, he shot his shot gun up overtoward my house when my husband and young daughters were out front, pellets hailed down on them from above, but no one was hurt. My husband called 911 and a young Sheriff deputy came out. He took statements from my husband and kids and went over to talk to the neighbor. They talked for a while and the deputy came back to talk to us. He said the neighbor lied and told him there was no way he had shot toward our house and was just shooting at birds. The neighbor then proceeded to complain to the deputy about me shooting my Stoeger shotgun in the back of our property everyday and that he was upset because the pellets were going over onto his property (700 feet from his house, a vacant field). The deputy told me that there was no problem me shooting, butI haveto have a "proper back stop" to be legal. He also said there is no noise ordinances and if somebody complained, he could only "ask" me to tone down the noise and that I didn't have to if I didn't feel like it! The sheriffs here don't know much and they have told me in the past to talk to their supervisors because they themselves"don't know the law"?!?

Jubbie

imported post

My parents live on 5 acres in Warrick County. Hopefully the laws don't change whenever I inherit the place. I'd move out of Hammond now, but after my trip down last weekend I realized there aren't any jobs down there. A guy who lives across the street from my parents fires off his cannon every year around the 4th.