Thread: Some SKS questions...

Banned

Post imported post

So I finally found an SKS that was both nice and cheap. I think it'll make a good SHTF gun. Anywho, I had a bunch of questions all of which I've forgotten, except one.

Is it possible to remove the grenade launcher? It appears to be threaded on and pinned into place. Can I simply remove the pins and unscrew it? I think it's pretty pointless and adding unnecessary weight, asare the launcher sight and bayonetwhich I'd also like to get rid of. Any advice on how to do this without ruining the gun?

And no, I obviously don't have a manual and don't want to buy one unless I have to.

Post imported post

well, you can only do it once you neutralize the barrel shroud... you know, that shoulder thing that goes up...

Post imported post

All your questions and much more can be answered at sksboards.com
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Banned

Post imported post

^Well obviously, but I'm already registered HERE.

unreconstructed1 wrote:
    well, you can only do it once you neutralize the barrel shroud... you know, that shoulder thing that goes up...

The what and the who? I don't know these guns from Adam so I couldn't even tell you if you're joking or being serious.

Post imported post

No need to register. I believe you can do searches there without even having a user ID.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Banned

Post imported post

Perfect, thanks.

Post imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
    ^Well obviously, but I'm already registered HERE.

unreconstructed1 wrote:

The what and the who? I don't know these guns from Adam so I couldn't even tell you if you're joking or being serious.
    The shoulder thing that goes up. You know?

Its a joke. To get it see here --->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rGpykAX1fo

Post imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
    I thought this gave it away:

"you know, that shoulder thing that goes up..."

I had assumed that your post was a joke, but maybe it wasn't.

I'm confused, isn't anything with a grenade launcher attached covered by applicable NFA laws, and therefore illegal to own without the appropriate tax stamp, meaning that you would have to have wanted the grenade launcher in the first place?

Post imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
    AWDstylez wrote:

I'm confused, isn't anything with a grenade launcher attached covered by applicable NFA laws, and therefore illegal to own without the appropriate tax stamp, meaning that you would have to have wanted the grenade launcher in the first place?

On an SKS that would look like this

and they are not illegal AFAIK. I believe many sks come with them standard.

I found a picture of one off but its much too large to post here. And I have seen them for sale seperately. I dont own one however so as to the how...

Banned

Post imported post

unreconstructed1 wrote:
    AWDstylez wrote:

LOL I've never seen that before.

No, my post isn'ta joke and I actually need some help. The grenade launcher is legal because it and the bayonet only make up two compliance parts. CT has a three part limit, any three parts.

Post imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
    No, my post isn'ta joke and I actually need some help. The grenade launcher is legal because it and the bayonet only make up two compliance parts. CT has a three part limit, any three parts.
    Then I apologize.

Post imported post

I used to have a Yugo. What you are talking about is worthy of quite a lot of info, so that's why I suggested SKSboards. Sorry if I come off as a jerk for not wanting to post info I know, but it's a pretty complicated subject, one I'm not completely sure on, and it's been discussed many times on SKSboards.

Post imported post

Save yourself a lot of work and trade that rifle for one that doesn't have the launcher on it.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

I am also learning new and interesting things about my SKS. Here in CA, mine is legal as long as the grenade launcher is not there(don't recall the CA code section, but a grenade launcher is what makes most Yugo SKS's illegal in CA). I bought mine with a muzzle brake installed in it's place. This web page/info seems to be something you should check out:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...rake/index.asp

surplusrifle.com has some good SKS info/links

Banned

Post imported post

4armed Architect wrote:
    I am also learning new and interesting things about my SKS. Here in CA, mine is legal as long as the grenade launcher is not there(don't recall the CA code section, but a grenade launcher is what makes most Yugo SKS's illegal in CA). I bought mine with a muzzle brake installed in it's place. This web page/info seems to be something you should check out:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2...rake/index.asp

surplusrifle.com has some good SKS info/links

Perfect. That'd get rid of the launcher and replace it with something useful.

If any other owners care, I found over on sksboards that the Yuko bayonets are just screwed in. What I hadn't noticed is that the ends of the screw are peened down which is why it wasn't coming free with a screw driver. Apparently I need to use an impact gun.

Banned

Post imported post

jeeper1 wrote:
    Save yourself a lot of work and trade that rifle for one that doesn't have the launcher on it.

They're hard to come by around here. I only paid $260 for this one and it's nearly immacculate. I can have the launcher legally, I just think it's ugly and adding useless weight and length.

Post imported post

Before you remove it buy an inert rifle grenade and a few grenade launching blanks and launch it a few times, it can be fun.
    Perhaps if you would use a real computer you wouldn't have to apologize for not being able to do so many things on the internet!

Post imported post

i dont know why you would remove the bayonet, those are always useful

Banned

Post imported post

^^^http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO6pjHiVEVA

jeeper1 wrote:
    Before you remove it buy an inert rifle grenade and a few grenade launching blanks and launch it a few times, it can be fun.
    Does it go far? I can't imagine a case that small launching that, quite large, grenade assembly.

Post imported post

Up to 600 yards.