Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: New AR15 :)

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    I just ordered all the parts for the stripped lower I have coming in next week :celebrate

    I think I may have to make another order and put together a AR15 pistol...that would likely get some :what: open carrying it around. I think I did fairly well post election, altogether my vanilla AR is only going to be around 750-800.



    Product Product Code Quantity Price AR-15 Complete Lower parts Set
    AR15LWRPARTSET 1 $60.00 M-16 Bolt and Carrier Assmebly
    M-16 Bolt and Carrier Assmebly 1 $115.00 AR-15 Charging Handle, Complete
    Charging Handle 1 $15.00 M4 5 Position Mil-Spec Stock Assembly
    Color - Black M4StockAssy 1 $60.00 AR-15 16 Inch Pre-Ban M4 Flat Top Barrel Assembly
    Barrel - Chrome Moly Bolt & Carrier - No Bolt and carrier Charging Handle - No Charging Handle Color - Black AR-15 16\\ 1 $325.00 Order Date/Time: Mar 01 2009, 19:06 PM Payment Method: mals-e Shipping Method: Flat Rate Subtotal: $575.00 Total Tax: $0.00 Shipping: $0.00 Grand Total: $575.00

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Got links for these parts? I'm looking to put one together, myself.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    AbNo wrote:
    Got links for these parts? I'm looking to put one together, myself.
    http://www.tonyscustomuppers.com/cart/

    I was a bit iffy at first but after looking on the internet I've only heard good things about him. I got the stripped lower from:

    http://www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_...0&term=175

    It's only a $140 and it seems built well enough.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    Oh, I have a DPMS stripped lower sitting on my desk right now. It was about $120.

    Thanks for the links.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892

    Post imported post

    jwidman wrote:
    SNIP

    I think I may have to make another order and put together a AR15 pistol...that would likely get some :what: open carrying it around.

    I hope you're joking. I would not want to be anywhere around someone that was open carrying an AR pistol. I don't care if it's okay, it's absurd.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    3,806

    Post imported post

    I hope YOU are joking, I mean really now.

    It wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

    I'd have to inspect it though.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    T Dubya wrote:
    jwidman wrote:
    SNIP

    I think I may have to make another order and put together a AR15 pistol...that would likely get some :what: open carrying it around.

    I hope you're joking. I would not want to be anywhere around someone that was open carrying an AR pistol. I don't care if it's okay, it's absurd.
    Well as much as I would like to CC a AR15 pistol I don't think that would work too well
    Don't worry, I probably only OC something like that at the range....probably :P

  8. #8
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    T Dubya wrote:
    I hope you're joking. I would not want to be anywhere around someone that was open carrying an AR pistol. I don't care if it's okay, it's absurd.
    You're right. I would rather be around someone openly carrying a fulllength AR. Greater accuracy at longer distances!

    Grow up. A gun is a gun. Don't add fuel to the "evil, scary black rifle" crowd.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Norfolk, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    119

    Post imported post

    i want an AR-15 myself I dont know where to start but now Im thinking about building one but I dont know where to start but it seems cheap.Im going to need help getting this thing done.I need the AR-15

  10. #10
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    T Dubya wrote:
    jwidman wrote:
    SNIP

    I think I may have to make another order and put together a AR15 pistol...that would likely get some :what: open carrying it around.

    I hope you're joking. I would not want to be anywhere around someone that was open carrying an AR pistol. I don't care if it's okay, it's absurd.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    Your AR15 is a registered RIFLE. You want to place a shorter upper on it and change the butstock to turn it into a PISTOL but you can't, see the firearm is a RIFLE by serial number, and nothing wil change that. You are actually proposing creating an SBR.

    The only way (to my knowledge) to have a LEGAL AR pistol is to buy an AR designated from the factory as a PISTOL.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892

    Post imported post

    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    Your AR15 is a registered RIFLE. You want to place a shorter upper on it and change the butstock to turn it into a PISTOL but you can't, see the firearm is a RIFLE by serial number, and nothing wil change that. You are actually proposing creating an SBR.

    The only way (to my knowledge) to have a LEGAL AR pistol is to buy an AR designated from the factory as a PISTOL.
    I'm sure you are right. The only thing I can add is that I'm sure butstocks on a pistol is a no no unless you register it as an AOW.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892

    Post imported post

    SGT Jensen wrote:
    T Dubya wrote:
    I hope you're joking. I would not want to be anywhere around someone that was open carrying an AR pistol. I don't care if it's okay, it's absurd.
    You're right. I would rather be around someone openly carrying a fulllength AR. Greater accuracy at longer distances!

    Grow up. A gun is a gun. Don't add fuel to the "evil, scary black rifle" crowd.

    You grow up poopie face. Unless the government collapses,or you're going somewhere with theintent of getting some,open carrying an AR pistol is stupid and only a fuggin tool would do it.



    Let's settle this: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/22530.html

    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  13. #13
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    T Dubya wrote:
    I'm sure you are right. The only thing I can add is that I'm sure butstocks on a pistol is a no no unless you register it as an AOW.
    If you add a buttstock to a pistol, it becomes a short barrelled rifle, not an AOW.

    I still disagree, there is nothing wrong with carrying a rifle or shotgun, as opposed to a handgun.

    Stop being anti-gun, poo-poo head. :X :P
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  14. #14
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    You guys are arguing theory vs reality. In theory a gun is a gun and it shouldn't matter. In reality a gun is not a gun and does matter. At the end of the day you might be able to get away with this but you are most likely, sooner vs later, going to get detained and possibly create more fright than trust.

  15. #15
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    I still fail to see a problem. If I am willing to be detained for carring a firearm instead of a, well... firearm, then why should you care? :?

    Would you feel uneasy at the sight ofme peaceably walking down the street with a rifle slung across my back?

    Do you feel that I would somehow destroy the Second Amendment by exercising it?
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    IMO, OCing a AR15 pistol is not a good idea.

    YMMV

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    You can go from a AR-15 Pistol -> AR-15, but you have to pay the $200 "SBR" NFA tax.

    A rifle cannot become a pistol.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    ., ,
    Posts
    276

    Post imported post

    .

  19. #19
    Regular Member richarcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,182

    Post imported post

    SGT Jensen wrote:
    I still fail to see a problem. If I am willing to be detained for carring a firearm instead of a, well... firearm, then why should you care? :?

    Would you feel uneasy at the sight ofme peaceably walking down the street with a rifle slung across my back?

    Do you feel that I would somehow destroy the Second Amendment by exercising it?
    Again, theoretically no it is not a problem. A gun is a gun. But in the REAL world there IS a difference and yes you CAN do damage to the gun MOVEMENT by not being smart about how you exercise it.

    Its kinda like the quote:

    “We cannot expect the Americans to jump from capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving Americans small doses of socialism until they suddenly awake to find they have Communism.”
    –Soviet Leader Nikita Khrushchev, 1959


    You can not effectively jump from carrying a 9mm on your hip....which is already pushing it in many areas....to carrying a rifle or modded AR15. It will immediately get rejected. Our movement needs baby steps. You can't desensitize in large steps. You have to nibble away at it in order to get to where we SHOULD be anyways. This is how we have begun to lose our rights and that is how we are going to have to regain them. Any jump directly to communism or to OC'd AR15s will quickly get rejected and, yes, be harmful for our movement. Baby steps.....



  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    From what I know.... when a firearm is made and is to be sold to the public it must have a few things. One is a serial number and another is that it has to be identified as either a rifle or pistol. Even if it not dressed out as one.

    You CANNOT take an AR lower that has been stripped and turn it into a pistol version if it was registered as a rifle. Even if it was NEVER a rifle.

    If you take the AR lower and add a SBR you risk 10 years in prison and $250,000 fine.

    Please remember that there are laws in place that regulate the purchase and possession of handguns. You cannot circumvent the system by taking a rifle and turning it into a pistol.

    Example: You cannot take your .22 rifle, chop off the stock and cut down the barrel making it into a pistol without filing some paperwork. That AR lower is the same thing.

    You need to ask the ATF for permission to do that.

    But you can always buy a pistol version AR lower.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    Building them is fun. I have been working on mine for the last year. Taking my time and ordering parts a little at a time.

    Go to the following link to learn all you will ever need to know.

    http://www.ar15.com/



  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    Bill in VA wrote:
    nakedshoplifter wrote:
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    Your AR15 is a registered RIFLE. You want to place a shorter upper on it and change the butstock to turn it into a PISTOL but you can't, see the firearm is a RIFLE by serial number, and nothing wil change that. You are actually proposing creating an SBR.

    The only way (to my knowledge) to have a LEGAL AR pistol is to buy an AR designated from the factory as a PISTOL.
    Not so. A stripped, bare receiver that's never been anything but a receiver is neither a rifle nor a handgun;a bare receiveris a firearm, but is not a rifle or a handgun until it is built into one.Read the regs. 18USC CH44 921(a)(7) defines a rifle as: a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder. If there's no shoulder stock it's not designed/intended to be fired from the shoulder. Likewise, as a stripped/bare receiver it's not designed/intended tobe held andfired with a single hand (see 18USC CH44 921(a)(29).) Either it fits the definition of a rifle or it does not. That said, once you puta stock on your receiver it becomes a rifle. At that point, if you want to use it as a stockless rifle (a "pistol" for the sake of clarity in this thread) then it needs to registered with the BATF in the NFRTR as a short-barrled rifle (i.e., one that's less than 26" OALand/or bbl length less than 16"...see 18USC CH44 921(a)(8) and 26USC CH53 5845(a) and (c).)

    Furthermore, there is no way to "register [it]" as a rifle, or as a pistol. There's no registry/data base of rifles and pistols either in federal of Virginia state law.The only federal registry is the NFRTR (National Firearms Registry and Transfer Record) created under the '34 NFA (26USC CH53)for registration of NFA devices (i.e., Title II firearms) only...no Title I firearms.



    HTH
    I am pretty sure they are sold as "PISTOL" or "RIFLE" - when buying my last lowers I could specify which.

    I'd bet you a beer on it.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gainesville, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    56

    Post imported post

    LEO 229 wrote:
    From what I know.... when a firearm is made and is to be sold to the public it must have a few things. One is a serial number and another is that it has to be identified as either a rifle or pistol. Even if it not dressed out as one.

    You CANNOT take an AR lower that has been stripped and turn it into a pistol version if it was registered as a rifle. Even if it was NEVER a rifle.

    If you take the AR lower and add a SBR you risk 10 years in prison and $250,000 fine.

    Please remember that there are laws in place that regulate the purchase and possession of handguns. You cannot circumvent the system by taking a rifle and turning it into a pistol.

    Example: You cannot take your .22 rifle, chop off the stock and cut down the barrel making it into a pistol without filing some paperwork. That AR lower is the same thing.

    You need to ask the ATF for permission to do that.

    But you can always buy a pistol version AR lower.
    Actually the new 4473 has a special category for receivers by themselves:


    Someone from the AR15 forums wrote the ATF and asked what the specifics were and they said that you can turn a lower receiver into a pistol but it has to have been from a new receiver that had never been a rifle before. Also once it was made into a pistol you could then freely convert it into a rifle. If you want to go the the SBR route building a pistol is nice because you have a fun toy while waiting for your tax stamp.

    Since lowers can be made into pistols they are also illegal to be sold to those under 21.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    Interesting.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,607

    Post imported post

    jwidman wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    From what I know.... when a firearm is made and is to be sold to the public it must have a few things. One is a serial number and another is that it has to be identified as either a rifle or pistol. Even if it not dressed out as one.

    You CANNOT take an AR lower that has been stripped and turn it into a pistol version if it was registered as a rifle. Even if it was NEVER a rifle.

    If you take the AR lower and add a SBR you risk 10 years in prison and $250,000 fine.

    Please remember that there are laws in place that regulate the purchase and possession of handguns. You cannot circumvent the system by taking a rifle and turning it into a pistol.

    Example: You cannot take your .22 rifle, chop off the stock and cut down the barrel making it into a pistol without filing some paperwork. That AR lower is the same thing.

    You need to ask the ATF for permission to do that.

    But you can always buy a pistol version AR lower.
    Actually the new 4473 has a special category for receivers by themselves:


    Someone from the AR15 forums wrote the ATF and asked what the specifics were and they said that you can turn a lower receiver into a pistol but it has to have been from a new receiver that had never been a rifle before. Also once it was made into a pistol you could then freely convert it into a rifle. If you want to go the the SBR route building a pistol is nice because you have a fun toy while waiting for your tax stamp.

    Since lowers can be made into pistols they are also illegal to be sold to those under 21.
    I did not know all the details involved but what you posted is on the money with what I believed.

    The only question I have is can an end user buy a blank stock unregistered AR receiver?

    If so how would you register or identify with the ATF what is was going to be. Otherwise you could easily flip-flop what is is and who would ever really know what is was born as originally.

    It seems that the wholesaler would sell them to a company who would then manufacture the firearm and register it as either a rifle or pistol.

    But again... it was interesting to see the details are out on the AR lower now that a few companies are making AR pistols.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •