• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Successfully completed my 1st OC!

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Hi all California OCers,

I recently decided to join the OC movement because I spoke with a lawyer and he guaranteed I'd get denied by my local Sheriff. I still plan on submitting my application for a CCW so I can say I tried. Until then I'll be Open Carrying.

So my outing was uneventful in respect to LEO encounters. Most people didn't notice and those that did seemed not to care.

I made a trip to Star Bucks in Cupertino and went to Kinko's to print more Pamphlets and laminate my 'OC is legal' card. Because of all the great posts here I felt prepared, I took my audio recorder and had a card in my wallet.

Thanks everyone!
~Bad Ace

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Welcome to the forum and thanksforintroducing Open Carry to Santa Clara County.

Im curious though- this is your first post. Have you been lurking long? And how did you come to find OCDO?

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Thought I'd wait to post until I had something to contribute :)
I've been lurking for a week or so.
I found OCDO while searching for info on obtaining a CCW in Santa Clara.

If anyone else is in the Bay Area let me know. I'd like to a attend meet-up.

cato

imported post

bad_ace wrote:
I took my audio recorder and had a card in my wallet.

Thanks everyone!
~Bad Ace
Good job. Be sure to include one of the training memos too or all of them. Don't forget the friendly witness(es)....

Luchador

imported post

Hi

Long time lurker, First time poster

In the photo above, The guy in the skirt is just too much. OC is in your face. OC in a kilt thats askin for trouble.

Thanks for all the great info folks

David

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Luchador wrote:
Hi

In the photo above, The guy in the skirt is just too much. OC is in your face. OC in a kilt thats askin for trouble.

David
What's wrong with OCing in a kilt?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Luchador wrote:
...In the photo above, The guy in the skirt is just too much. OC is in your face. OC in a kilt thats askin for trouble...
Calling a kilt a skirt is askin' for trouble. Being raised by a Scotsman, I can tell you this does not end well when done in person!

Decoligny

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Luchador wrote:
...In the photo above, The guy in the skirt is just too much. OC is in your face. OC in a kilt thats askin for trouble...
Calling a kilt a skirt is askin' for trouble. Being raised by a Scotsman, I can tell you this does not end well when done in person!

I was watching the History Channel last night, a show about the TT races on the Isle on Mann.

They went into some of the laws they still have on the books there. It appears that if a"Manx" (resident of the Isle of Mann)spots a Scot wearing a Kilt on the Beach,it is perfectly legal for him to shoot the Scot.

Not kidding, really on the books. Kinda puts the kiabosh on wearing Kilts there.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Did the two Police in the background follow you guys around the whole day?.....lol....great pic....I gotta put up the ones from our little meet up here in the great northwest.

cato

imported post

Luchador wrote:
The guy in the skirt is just too much.

Thats "Lady from Hell" to you bub! ;)

http://realmenwearkilts.net/

wear a kilt and save a life:

Scot whips off his kilt to save a man's life (UK News, 21 May 97)]

A Scotsman saved the life of a stranded hillwalker on a remote mountainside by taking off his kilt and wrapping it round the shivering man. Bare-bottomed Andy Young, 43, braved the elements as he stripped down and used his kilt and thick cotton shirt to keep the hypothermic man warm. Mr Young cuddled close to Tom Mitchell, 41, and sang him traditional Scottish songs while they waited two hours on chilly Sron Ghorm, near the Aultguish Inn, Wester Ross, for a helicopter. Mr Mitchell, of Collynie, Methlick, near Aberdeen, went for a lone hill walk on Monday but did not return to the inn. Friends were particularly concerned because he is an epileptic. Mr Young said: "It was all I could think of because he was shivering so much. I cuddled in close beside him and I think our body heat kept us alive. I sang songs to him to keep his spirits up. I sang MacPherson's Rant, the Skye Boat Song over and over again. "When the helicopter arrived, I took my kilt and shirt back and looked on as he was winched into the helicopter. I did not want to have to walk into the inn naked."

the life you save may be your own!

Safer in the Kilt

A new (British) safety report confirms what every real Scot knows. Donning the kilt instead of trousers is good for your health. Department of Trade and Industry determined that putting on trousers poses a serious risk of injury because people lose their balance and topple over hurting themselves. The critical and most dangerous part is pulling up the second leg when the first is still at half mast. The yearly home accident report by the DTI estimates there were 4400 trouser victims last year. Another 400 injured themselves putting on their underwear. Kiltmaker Gordon Nicholson of McCalls of Edinburgh seized on the report as evidence of what he has been preaching for years. He said: "If people would only wear traditional costume, all this pain and injury would be prevented. "I have never heard of anyone injuring themselves putting on a kilt. "I've heard of people injuring themselves once they've got it on," he added. "I would think if there were any injuries linked to kilts then they would be from dancing or drinking."
]

Decoligny

imported post

cato wrote:
Scot whips off his kilt to save a man's life (UK News, 21 May 97)]

A Scotsman saved the life of a stranded hillwalker on a remote mountainside by taking off his kilt and wrapping it round the shivering man. Bare-bottomed Andy Young, 43, braved the elements as he stripped down and used his kilt and thick cotton shirt to keep the hypothermic man warm. Mr Young cuddled close to Tom Mitchell, 41, and sang him traditional Scottish songs..."

That just brings up really distrubing images of Willy the Groundskeeper from "The Simpsons".

And I sure didn't know "Stranger's in the Night" was a traditional Scottish song.

willy.gif

elsensei

imported post

hey! that's the workman's utilikilt. I have that one too! And it does do well in water.

prcE6

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
i was told that if you submit your ccw permit, if (haha) it gets turned down, they can use that against you later to sat "if its been turned down before its probably for a reason, and im going to stick with the first persons decision"
Absolutely right. Before I found OCDO, I was looking into applying for LTC in Sac or Placer County. (I had plans to move to Roseville at the time). It was a good thing I didn't even try in Sac. According to this document: http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments/Sheriff/Saveatrip/~/media/srf/Cwp/CCW%20Criteria%20pdf.ashx, one of the criteria for a denial is "Applicant was previously denied a license to carry a concealed weapon"

Since then however, the good people here have convinced me that I really don't want to pay forn a revokable permission slip from the "man". And I truly mean that, too.

HariCarry

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Luchador wrote:
Hi

David
What's wrong with OCing in a kilt?
Hey, when the big push comes in San Francisco you can bet your next paycheck SOMEBODY will OC in a thong!

w8291

imported post

Go bad ace!
I'm prepping for my first OC soon. I'm in Alameda county so it'll be just as difficult.

bad_ace wrote:
Hi all California OCers,

I recently decided to join the OC movement because I spoke with a lawyer and he guaranteed I'd get denied by my local Sheriff. I still plan on submitting my application for a CCW so I can say I tried. Until then I'll be Open Carrying.

So my outing was uneventful in respect to LEO encounters. Most people didn't notice and those that did seemed not to care.

I made a trip to Star Bucks in Cupertino and went to Kinko's to print more Pamphlets and laminate my 'OC is legal' card. Because of all the great posts here I felt prepared, I took my audio recorder and had a card in my wallet.

Thanks everyone!
~Bad Ace