• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

General attitude encountered OC

abearir

imported post

CC for years, and getting real tired of disarming before going into "prohibited" places. How much feces have people encountered OC here in MT... Real curious as to GTF specifically.

MT GUNNY

imported post

Ive Lived in Great Falls for about 8 Years , However I wasnt Exersizing My 2ND Amendment Rights during that time . You are still in MT and All MT Laws Regarding Carrying Guns Still apply in Great Falls. So Know your Laws and start OCing. I Personaly Think You will have NO Problems, Most will not even Notice your Carrying.

Let us know how things go here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum34/621.html

40s-and-wfan

imported post

I don't live in Great Falls, but I can say this: For the most part, I don't hear anyone react at all about me OC-ing. Most of the people will look but are either too scared/intimidated/nervous to say anything. They tend to keep their comments to themselves!

I actually love it when they come and talk to me though! I like to think I'm well-versed in the laws and regulations here in Montana and I'm more than willing to talk to people, whether they are for or against me carrying! I love the conversation. I respect their opinions. If I win a supporter for our side then great, if not then it's their choice!!

40s-and-wfan

imported post

You know I thought about that, but I kinda' thought people would prolly take that with the same apprehension as "Go ahead punk, make my day..." I could always change it to "Go ahead punk, askme why..."

MontanaCZ

imported post

Since I live between Helena and Great Falls, I have done both. I get a comment or two now and then, and a question once in a while, but mostly in Helena (liberal bastion that it is). The only "issue" that I ever had, and not much of one at that, was at the Helena Wal-Mart.

I don't go into prohibited places (CC wise), or eat at them either, so I can't help you there.

-CZ

Catherine

imported post

I have not had a problem with OC out here.

My husband does carry both ways.

CRIME is up in Western Montana especially in Missoula, MT. I would like to see everyone open carry, scare off the BAD GUYS and make the anti gunners get a LIFE. Grin.

Catherine

LeMat

imported post

I have carried since 1993, but admittedly, it's almost always been concealed.

There was that one summer down in Darby when I was working up in the mountains, but I was packing a 6" Anaconda and those don't conceal too well.

20 years ago (maybe 15), I don't think you would have gotten a second look, but with theimmense influx of "imports" over the recent years, I have a hard time wanting to put up with people freaking out. I just don't know if I have the desire to deal with some soccer mom calling the police, complaining about some "Big, scary looking guy carrying a gun". :banghead:

For those in Flathead County, could you imagine carrying anywhere in Whitefish? :uhoh:

40s-and-wfan

imported post

I've carried before in Whitefish but on a limited basis. I did in the mall not long ago and got no reaction about it. Of course my pistol, holster and coat behind it are all black! It's funny how we're all afraid of the reaction of one of the 'Fishes residents. Maybe the next time our group of guys meets, it should be in Whitefish, just to tempt things!!

abearir

imported post

WoW, I'm amazed. just got back from lunch at a local bar/restaurant...not even a glance or comment noticed. This is the way it should be.:celebrate

CVFD27

imported post

"the next time our group of guys meets, it should be in Whitefish..."

Aye, but, might I suggest we start in the Eureka/Fortine area first, let folks know we're heading south to Whitefish, and after Whitefish (with a large enough party to make even the most jaded eatery owner salivate at a group-sized tip), and keep it moving south to Idaho...

If we got a paper tosend a reporter to the Whitefishgathering, we would likely pick up local interestand support as the travelling roadshow headed south; with regularly scheduled gatherings (say, every Wednesday evening at 6:30 PM for an OC dinner at location xxx in town zzz)...inside of a month and a half we would've covered the great state of MT north to south. :cool:

Not every participent would need to go to each dinner meeting--think of it as a relay race with the baton handed off after each few gatherings. If this takes off the way it could, members from the Idaho border area could start a 'west to east' OC dinner gathering once we pass Missou; followed by other W/E & N/S gatherings until the whole state had been canvassed...

This is how RMEF started out guys, and a few simultaneous 10 to 20 person dinner gatherings at the same time on the same date, in different towns and cities, could sure get some attention and positive press--especially by restaurateur's that wouldlove the added boost to their bottom line in these tough economic times...

Can you imagine an OC night each week, simultaneously,at three or four restaurants cross-state; or better yet, an anniversary OC night at five or six Helena restaurants--also simultaneously? That my friends, that would make national headlines... :dude:

Any takers?

-S

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

Post a schedule in advance - Date, Time, and Town

More people will show up !

Handguns and Long Guns Open Carry.

Sounds like a good party.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

abearir,
Let me know what the OC attitude is over there in the GF-area. I'm interested to know as I'm looking at a job over there and am hoping to be moving there before too long. I'd love to know what kind of either support or BS I should expect to encounter when and if I come over there. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

For whose who have open carried in Missoula, Helena, and Billings.

Any problems ?

What stores, etc do you open carry in ?

MontanaCZ

imported post

I OC in Helena a bit, mostly during the warmer months. The only issue I have had was at Wal-Mart last year and was detailed in a thread here.

The only times I have OC'd in Great Falls was to Big R to get supplies and the truck stop. Maybe I should go into Barnes and Noble one time.

-MCZ