• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should "Carry On!" be our informal motto?

FMCDH

imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
English-Carry on

Latin- proveho
Ahh, the beginnings of a mafia.... Ciao fratello, Proveho! (Italian/Latin mix)

Or... Ave frater, Proveho! (all Latin)

Hmm...maybe not. :?

(both loosely translated as, "Hello brother, Carry On!")

Bullbuster

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I read a bit on the meaning(s) of the word 'motto'. I wonder what our correspondents think it means.

Hay the Boy Scouts Of America have been useing "Be Prepared" as a moto sense if founding. Guess thats why they tought us how to shoot.

NightOwl

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
I think you are missing the point. We on this site work to promote RTBA and particularly OC (open carry) and as such advertise and promote these rights by OCing - by the way we carry.

Therefore "carry on" is very much a double entendre though perhaps only recognizable as such to insiders - it is to them that this is directed.

Yata hey
Didn't miss the point, and I've been here long enough to have caught on, despite not posting often. Try a peek at a reg date once in a while. Not an old hand, but hardly a newbie. If it should be heard by a non "insider" the message they're going to get is people telling each other to go back to what they were doing. Seems an odd thing to me, but whatever.

Mike wrote:
Ymmv? Huh?

Only strictly speaking does "carry on" mean a terse "continue what you are doing." Even in the military the term is often used jokingly or in a very friendly way by superiors or by peers. Ina broad sense, "Continue what you're doing" is the code meaning we seek to send - somthing that "hello" does not do

think up beat, like you know "Party on Dude!" You all remember that one right? See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVXGC896Jdw
Ymmv=Your Milage May Vary. TBH (to be honest), Imo (In my opinion), Irl (in real life) are all things I use fairly often online without even thinking about it...sorry for being unclear. Too many years of internet jabber I suppose.

Yeah, even with the upbeat tone and all, it still doesn't really seem too fabulous to me. Not that I have anything better to offer, lol. Either way, that just means I won't be using it, not that it's trash.

russcook

imported post

Mike wrote:
Of course we have "A right unexercised is a right lost," but that's kind of hard to get our of your mouth in an informal setting or as a greeting?

But what about "Carry On!"?

Comments??

I like it. Too much discussion about unintended meaning, the public not understanding it, etc. I think it's short, direct, to the point, and WE all know what we mean when we say it.

Adopt it!

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I RECEIVE CRIMINALS

WITH OPEN CARRY ARMS

Shamelessly plagiarized from someone's prior post.

I like Carry On! as well, however, there is a certain...ambiguity...to the phrase. We know what we want it to mean, but here is a short list of what others might think:
  • The Kansas song "Carry On My Wayward Son"
  • Military commander saying "Continue as you were"
  • Airplane luggage that stays with you during the flight
  • A mother's admonition "If you carry on this way I'll tell your father"
Obviously, there are others, but those are the ones I thought of or read about in this thread. By comparison does any such ambiguity come to mind with "Live Free or Die" or "Don't Tread on Me!"

I would be happy for someone to just tell me why I'm wrong so we can get on with it.

Open Carry: The New OC or The New OC: Open Carry

Well, I'm tapped out for now. Let me know when we have t-shirts and hats. I'll wear them.

:cool:

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

The count is now 58,602 CARRY ON! iI am liking it!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

FMCDH

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Cowboy_Rick wrote:
The count is now 58,602 CARRY ON! iI am liking it!!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
From a population of 17,782 members, that sounds like another corrupted democratic poll. Over and out.
((Facepalm)) :quirky

jbeck

imported post

[align=center]I RECEIVE CRIMINALS[/align]

[align=center]WITH OPEN ARMS[/align]
This one had me chuckling. I would defintely wear it. "with open arms" is an amusing motto itself simply because of the emotional mood it puts the average person in that hear it (i.e. longing, love, happiness). Has my vote!

Alexcabbie

imported post

Among the other common usages for the expression "carry on" is that in large parts of the Gay community "carry on" means to act like a screaming nelly fool; OR to promiscuously flirt with every male in the vicinity (also known as "carrying on like trash"). Of course since nobody is going to be OCing in Dupont Circle in DC soon, "carry on" is probably safe for a T shirt.