• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should "Carry On!" be our informal motto?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Of course we have "A right unexercised is a right lost," but that's kind of hard to get our of your mouth in an informal setting or as a greeting?

But what about "Carry On!"?

Some people are already using it as I have a couple of times on line and in person.

Down side, the term "carry on" is what my mom used to say when she was mad at me an my sistes for acting up, i.e., "stop all the carying on!"

Also downsie, sounds like "Party On dude" from that movie many years ago.

Upside, its easy to say, makes sense, anybody can undestand the term in the context of seeing an open carrier, etc. Also, in military settings, "carry on" is what the senior officer says when she's happy with what's going on and enters an area and wants everybody to just go on about their business and not stand by waiting for her to give orders.

Comments??

Overtaxed

imported post

I can see both sides of it... but I do like "carry on."

As with any "tag line" - the simpler, the better...

sheepdog

imported post

...how about a T-shirt that says:

Attention, Criminals: NOT a Victim-

A LEGALLY armed AMERICAN

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Mike wrote:
Of course we have "A right unexercised is a right lost," but that's kind of hard to get our of your mouth in an informal setting or as a greeting?

Some people are already using it as I have a couple of times on line and in person.

Down side, the term "carry on" is what my mom used to say when she was mad at me an my sistes for acting up, i.e., "stop all the carying on!"

Upside, its easy to say, makes sense, anybody can undestand the term in the context of seeing an open carrier, etc. Also, in military settings, "carry on" is what the senior officer says when she's happy with what's going on and enters an area and wants everybody to just go on about their business and not stand by waiting for her to give orders.

Comments??
The Michigan group is using "Nothing to hide"Another idea"With open arms"

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

'Carry on' is, to (ex)military, dismissive as from a superior to his people and not unlike 'whatever' to a different generation. Also it's like "over and out" that sounds very traditional and formal but to a radio operator is oxymoronic at best, meaning 'over to you but I'm not listening'.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Venator wrote:
Mike wrote:

Comments??
The Michigan group is using "Nothing to hide"Another idea"With open arms"
Oooooooo, I LIKE "with open arms."

Carry on is also good.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"Carry On" works for me. Plus, I'm sure it resonates with certain retired Lt.Col's around here. :)

I also like the others. Whatever you guys pick works for me. I know better than to get in the middle of these things, having lost the election for naming the monkey.

Separately, how about a T-shirt that says,

[align=center]I RECEIVE CRIMINALS[/align]
[align=center]WITH OPEN ARMS[/align]

Sonora Rebel

imported post

"Carry On' denotes... 'continue what you were doing. 'Same as "As you were"

'Present Arms' is a salute... so that doesn't work either. "To Arms" is an alarm... "Ready Arms" is a preparatory command.

'Go Heeled' is a 'westernism' meaning to be armed.

'Packin'' is generally understood by all. Hmmm 'Pack Open'? 'Don't sound right.

MANUAL OF ARMS FOR THE SHARPS RIFLE, COLT REVOLVER AND SWORDS (1861)
[font="Times New Roman, Times, serif"]Arms--At Will
One time and one motion.
[/font]
[font="Times New Roman, Times, serif"]XIV. At the command "At Will," carry the carbine with one or both hands to either shoulder, the muzzle always up.[/font]

There is nothing comparable for the pistol... Arms At Will seems all inclusive tho in the present context.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I think that Mike's suggestion/question is not so much directed at T-shirt or hat design (although that could be included) but rather as a greeting/salutation or parting word.

To that end it is an excellent proposal and one to which we can all identify. Basically it signifies approval with what the individual or group is doing. I have used it as such myself and will do so much more frequently now.

Thanks Mike. Carry on.

Yata hey

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
I think that Mike's suggestion/question is not so much directed at T-shirt or hat design (although that could be included) but rather as a greeting/salutation or parting word.

To that end it is an excellent proposal and one to which we can all identify. Basically it signifies approval with what the individual or group is doing. I have used it as such myself and will do so much more frequently now.

Thanks Mike. Carry on.

Yata hey

yeah, that's sort of thing - like let'sd say you bump into an open carrier - instead of saying uh, hi, are you on OCDO, ah, my handle is . . .

You just give a head nod and say "carry on!"

Sounds a little corny, but not too much if you say it sort of in a nonchalant knowing sort of manner.

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

58,453 and counting, I would "Continue ON" because the numbers are a growin'!

NightOwl

imported post

I don't really care for it. To me, it means something like "continue what you're doing", and to substitute it for a greeting to get a feel for it: "Continue what you're doing" sort of leaves me flat. Instead of hello, for example, you're just telling 'em to go back to what they were doing when before you got there...which ain't the best greeting in my book. Ymmv of course.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

NightOwl wrote:
I don't really care for it. To me, it means something like "continue what you're doing", and to substitute it for a greeting to get a feel for it: "Continue what you're doing" sort of leaves me flat. Instead of hello, for example, you're just telling 'em to go back to what they were doing when before you got there...which ain't the best greeting in my book. Ymmv of course.
I think you are missing the point. We on this site work to promote RTBA and particularly OC (open carry) and as such advertise and promote these rights by OCing - by the way we carry.

Therefore "carry on" is very much a double entendre though perhaps only recognizable as such to insiders - it is to them that this is directed.

Yata hey
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...&ct=result&cd=1&q=def+double+entendre&spell=1

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

NightOwl wrote:
Ymmv? Huh?

Only strictly speaking does "carry on" mean a terse "continue what you are doing." Even in the military the term is often used jokingly or in a very friendly way by superiors or by peers. Ina broad sense, "Continue what you're doing" is the code meaning we seek to send - somthing that "hello" does not do

think up beat, like you know "Party on Dude!" You all remember that one right? See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVXGC896Jdw

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

How about "FOLLOW ME", or LIBERATE THE OPPRESSED", both mottos have been a part of my life for 22 years! The last showed on my "FLASH" (De Oppresso Liber). These were Mottos that were and still are used in the Military, but I doubt if the 5th would mind!

FMCDH

imported post

After thinking about it a bit, Its kind of growing on me, although I have to admit that I didn't care for it at first.

The term has a multitude of meanings for people, but Military may react to it strongest, depending on experience of the individual.

For the most part, only Flag Officers use such a term on any kind of regular basis in the Coast Guard. Anyone else would probably get dirty looks and labeled an ass.

Its more often used as a joke or a punchline than anything else.

Overall, I think it would be just the light hearted, double meaning greeting that would go great with the OC movement.

Its almost like Aloha....works as both a greeting and saying goodbye.

Imagine the kind of fun we could have with that at OC get togethers! ;)

Bullbuster

imported post

You all have some good ideas. What about expanding on a couple of them a bit. Lets say into Latin. Some sayings in latin just sound cool as well. I did my best to convert a few of them.

English-Brother's Bearing arms

Latin-fraterna armifer

English-Uncovered/ exposed/ opened weapon
Latin-apertior-us armum

English-Carry on

Latin- proveho

Just some of my .02