• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA gun laws.... Help!

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Dispatcher wrote:
Frankly such a statement shocks me to the core.  Killing is bad.  Killing is always bad.  That is why every reasonable gun owner hopes that he never is forced to pull the trigger in self defense.  If you have to pull it, you have to.  However, no one *needs* to be killed, ever, that's a gross oversimplification.  There are situations in which you must defend yourself with lethal force, but to say that someone needs to be killed... that's terrible.  My gun is NOT for killing people.  It is a deterrent and a tool for self defense.  If I am forced to take a life in self defense, then so be it.... but it's not as arbitrary as "oh hey this guy needs to die"

I see what you're getting at and am completely sympathetic to your point of view, Dispatch; I often use the "fire extinguisher analogy" myself - I really, truly hope I never have to use one of the three fire extinguishers I've got in my house, but if the day comes when I do have to use it, I will do so effectively, unerringly, and unhesitatingly.

I do disagree slightly, however. I want to be aware that the reason I've got the gun is a terrible reason. I don't want to sugar coat that or rationalize it. It's not just a tool. It is there to kill someone, and I want to keep in mind what a horrible thought this is. I feel that this mindset helps restrain the arbitrary and capricious mentality one can develop towards a gun, which as you note, is a danger. To me, it is a weapon, and its only purpose is to kill, whether a bear, a wolf, a coyote, or a human. Given the imminent danger to myself or an innocent third party of an immediate serious bodily harm, I will use it for its intended purpose. Just as dispassionately as I would a fire extinguisher. But certainly not as readily.

TexasNative

imported post

I disagree, user. If I'm ever compelled to use my gun against an attacker, I do not use it to kill him, but to stop the attack. Yes, one possible, even likely, horrible result is that my attacker may die, but that's not the purpose of my gun, nor my intent if I had to use in that type of situation.

My self-defense guns are to protect me and mine, not to kill anyone, even if that ends up being the result of that self defense.

HardChrome

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
I disagree, user. If I'm ever compelled to use my gun against an attacker, I do not use it to kill him, but to stop the attack. Yes, one possible, even likely, horrible result is that my attacker may die, but that's not the purpose of my gun, nor my intent if I had to use in that type of situation.

My self-defense guns are to protect me and mine, not to kill anyone, even if that ends up being the result of that self defense.
When I carry my .44, my intent is not to hurt them at all but to make them wet their pants and flee. :)

ravonaf

imported post

A gun is a weapon. The NRA needs to learn a little common sense.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/weapon

weap·onplay_w2("W0069400")n.
An instrument of attack or defense in combat, as a gun, missile, or sword.
2. Zoology A part or organ, such as a claw or stinger, used by an animal in attack or defense.
A means used to defend against or defeat another: Logic was her weapon.tr.v. weap·oned, weap·on·ing, weap·ons To supply with weapons or a weapon; arm.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The issue is crystal clear to me, because my intended use of a gun is strictly defensive. I teach folks not to even think about touching their gun unless and until they have a reasonably held good faith belief that they or an innocent third party is subject to the imminent threat of serious bodily injury.

The use of a firearm for any other purpose may be as simple as the crime of brandishing a firearm, and as serious as attempted murder, with several interesting crimes in between (mayhem, malicious wounding, assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated battery, etc.), as well as some profitable (for me, anyway) civil aspects.

If you're not involved in the military/tactical/police end of society, and have no reason to serve search warrants on drug dealers, and it's not your job to make arrests, you'd best not even think about touching your gun unless you've got reason to kill. And if you have that reason, you'd better be effective (or you and those whom you should be protecting will likely wind up dead).

If you do not have a good reason to kill someone, don't touch the gun, don't show off the gun, don't tell anyone that you've got a gun. For strictly defensive purposes, the use of a gun should be as simple as working a light switch. On or off.

The use of a gun to intimidate another person (whether or not you happen to think he's a "bad guy") will likely end you up in jail. You're certainly free to ignore me if you like, free legal advice being worth what you've paid for it. But start saving your pennies for your legal defense fund.

TexasNative

imported post

Open carrying is a marvelous deterrent, and the lawfulness of open carrying is the very reason for this site's existence, user.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Open carrying is a marvelous deterrent, and the lawfulness of open carrying is the very reason for this site's existence, user.

No question about it. And it's the one way in which you can let "bad guys" know you're ready without running the risk of (justifiable) legal actions against you. You don't have to touch the gun or make noise about it to make your point.

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TexasNative wrote:
So...we said all that to say, "we agree?" :)

Nah - we did all that so all the invisible folks out in internet land who'll read it will know why we agree.

darthmord

imported post

+1 User

I have to agree. OC, people tend to be more polite and courteous toward me than they would be if I were CC or not armed. That of course is contingent upon them noticing the firearm in the first place (many do not). Typically, when it is appropriate in the conversation, I thank them for the courtesy (and also for not making a big deal about it because it's not really).