• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out-of-Town Civilian Guest on Air Force Base

virginiatuck

imported post

This summer I will be driving through several states to attend a graduation ceremony at the Maxwell-Gunter Air Force base in Alabama. I was wondering if anyone here has experience visiting that base as a civilian and checking a gun into the armory. Or if you're in the Air Force, having civilian guests check a gun into the armory. If so, please share the experience(s).

I'm asking specifically about that base because, as I understand, policies and procedures can vary from base to base.

I will be contacting the base myself to get their instructions, I just want to hear some personal experiences. I don't know what I'll do if they don't allow it at all because leaving a gun in an unoccupied hotel room would be really stupid.

j2l3

imported post

Personally, I would try to find an option other than the base armory. I can't swear to actions now, but I was inthe Air Force for 20 years with extensive experience around the base armories.

Nice guns drew the attention of the armorers and were handled quite a lot. Occassionally getting damaged in the process.

Better if you know someone living in the base housing that will store it for you in their house.

eta: Many hotels have safes or safety deposit boxes that you can lock your gun up in as well. Check with your hotel and see what they offer. You don't have to tell them youwant to securea gun, just ask about in room safes or lock boxes a tthe hotel desk.

virginiatuck

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Personally, I would try to find an option other than the base armory. I can't swear to actions now, but I was inthe Air Force for 20 years with extensive experience around the base armories.

Nice guns drew the attention of the armorers and were handled quite a lot. Occassionally getting damaged in the process.

Better if you know someone living in the base housing that will store it for you in their house.

eta: Many hotels have safes or safety deposit boxes that you can lock your gun up in as well. Check with your hotel and see what they offer. You don't have to tell them youwant to securea gun, just ask about in room safes or lock boxes a tthe hotel desk.
You think a Glock19 would draw extra attention of the armorers? I'd think the sight of a Glock to an armorer would be like the sight of a Honda Accord to a parking attendant. Then again, Honda Accords were and maybe still are one of the most frequently stolen cars. Aside from the possibility of damage, is there a possibility or probability of theft from the armory?

My brother will be living on the base during his training, but he left his gun with me so that he wouldn't have to check it into the armory. So I guess he either doesn't know or isn't allowed to have a gun in his residence, wherever that is.

So I'm going to have his gun to return to him as well as mine when I go down there for his graduation.

I'm not sure a hotel desk lock-box/safe is better than the armory, but you're helping to change my view. I suppose the hotel desk would be a little better than the room safe. I'd never think about using the safe in the room. I've come across some hotel room safes that are a joke. They're either made out of bent sheet metal, not securely anchored, or they have a well-known or easily obtained default code that *always* works.

j2l3

imported post

Yes, I think a Glock of any model would interest the armorers. Natural curiosity is all it really is. They have complete access to it 24/7. The odds of theft are almost nil.

If your brother lives in the dorms, he can't keep it in his residence. Since he is there for training, I would guess that is his situation. If he lives in base housing, he should be able to keep it in his residence.

The safes in the hotel where I work require an engineer, an electronic decoder AND a call to the manufacturer to open without the correct codes. Each room occupant sets whatever code they want to use while they are here. I understand your concern.

Hotel safe deposit boxes are like bank safe deposit boxes. Two keys, You have one and the hotel desk has one. Requires both keys to open it. Lose a key and they will need a locksmith to come drill the lock and replace it to open it. Also, with a safe deposit box, YOU place the items in the box. At the armory, you hand it to them and they go put it away. You have zero control of that.

j2l3

imported post

Good advice, but likely won't be allowed. They do a physical inventory every shift change and will need to see it to verify it is still in their possession.

T R E Y

imported post

First time poster, long time reader. I am stationed at Maxwell and live in base housing. I would be more than happy to store it for you.

virginiatuck

imported post

T R E Y wrote:
First time poster, long time reader. I am stationed at Maxwell and live in base housing. I would be more than happy to store it for you.
Oh, that's so nice of you... because I know you so much better than the armorers. :uhoh:

I'm sure you're either kidding or trying to con me out of a gun. If you're kidding, thanks for the laugh. :) If you're sincerely trying to help, I hope you understand that I don't trust strangers. If I did, I'd leave it in my unlocked hotel room on top of the dresser. And if you're trying to con me, :cuss:.

At least there would be registration, documentation, and accountability at the armory.

Thanks anyway.

T R E Y

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
T R E Y wrote:
Oh, that's so nice of you... because I know you so much better than the armorers. :uhoh:

I'm sure you're either kidding or trying to con me out of a gun. If you're kidding, thanks for the laugh. :) If you're sincerely trying to help, I hope you understand that I don't trust strangers. If I did, I'd leave it in my unlocked hotel room on top of the dresser. And if you're trying to con me, :cuss:.

At least there would be registration, documentation, and accountability at the armory.

Thanks anyway.
Just trying to help, I have been in the Air Force for 14 years now and stationed at Maxwell for 4. I live in base housing and was just offering a suggestion. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.