• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newbie From Cali

kipster1368

imported post

Was wondering if there is as much drama to by firearms in AZ as there is in California. What are the legistics on purchaseing handguns in AZ. Do they do the background check and what will keep you from buying firearms from this state? Some please help.

I am moving out of this bleep bleep bleep state very soon and will be heading to Surprise AZ. to be with my family and would like to start buyiing firearms. Cali wont let me purchase firearms legaly. No I am not a felon and have no felonys on my record just two small mistaminors. from over 10 years ago. What and were can I go to start my new adventure?

KIP

Michigander

imported post

Unless it's covered by the feds, (as in NFA stuff) it's a matter of a 4473 and a nics check at the store, and a straight up cash for the gun(s) swap in a private sale.

I'm not sure about the misdemeanors though. Might be a law or 2 about that. Better make sure about that, and hopefully somebody here will know. Don't wanna make 2 small misdemeanors into one big felony. :what:

In any case, congratulations on your escape to Free America. :cool:

chrsjhnsn

imported post

kipster1368 wrote:
Was wondering if there is as much drama to by firearms in AZ as there is in California. What are the legistics on purchaseing handguns in AZ. Do they do the background check and what will keep you from buying firearms from this state? Some please help.

I am moving out of this bleep bleep bleep state very soon and will be heading to Surprise AZ. to be with my family and would like to start buyiing firearms. Cali wont let me purchase firearms legaly. No I am not a felon and have no felonys on my record just two small mistaminors. from over 10 years ago. What and were can I go to start my new adventure?

KIP
Kip, your spelling is a felony!
but enough of that, what misdemeanors and when did they happen?
domestic violence for instance means you can not legally own firearms
in any State.

r6-rider

imported post

does a misdemeanor even show up on a NICS? i thought it was just for felonies and everything else was state information. and if that were the case CA is very strict on keeping all their records confidential. i had 3 points on my license when i came to AZ, told AZ dmv i didnt have any, they did a "check" and nothing came up haha.

**everything i just said is false and i do not advocate illegal behavior**:shock:

lostone1413

imported post

Hope that you leave CA in CA Most that come to AZ from their do everything they can to make Arizona like California

me812

imported post

I'm not sure about the misdemeanors though. Might be a law or 2 about that. Better make sure about that, and hopefully somebody here will know.

As I understand it, Arizona's prohibite posessor statute only bars you for DV misdemeanors and only for as long as you're on probation. Here it is straight from the horses mouth:

7. "Prohibited possessor" means any person:

(a) Who has been found to constitute a danger to himself or to others pursuant to court order under section 36-540, and whose court ordered treatment has not been terminated by court order.

(b) Who has been convicted within or without this state of a felony or who has been adjudicated delinquent for a felony and whose civil right to possess or carry a gun or firearm has not been restored.

(c) Who is at the time of possession serving a term of imprisonment in any correctional or detention facility.

(d) Who is at the time of possession serving a term of probation pursuant to a conviction for a domestic violence offense as defined in section 13-3601 or a felony offense, parole, community supervision, work furlough, home arrest or release on any other basis or who is serving a term of probation or parole pursuant to the interstate compact under title 31, chapter 3, article 4.

(e) Who is an undocumented alien or a nonimmigrant alien traveling with or without documentation in this state for business or pleasure or who is studying in this state and who maintains a foreign residence abroad. This subdivision does not apply to:

(i) Nonimmigrant aliens who possess a valid hunting license or permit that is lawfully issued by a state in the United States.

(ii) Nonimmigrant aliens who enter the United States to participate in a competitive target shooting event or to display firearms at a sports or hunting trade show that is sponsored by a national, state or local firearms trade organization devoted to the competitive use or other sporting use of firearms.

(iii) Certain diplomats.

(iv) Officials of foreign governments or distinguished foreign visitors who are designated by the United States department of state.

(v) Persons who have received a waiver from the United States attorney general.
LINK

Slayer of Paper

imported post

Unless the misdemeanor is classified as a "domestic violence" crime, you shouldn't have any problem.

Note that is part of the Lautenburg (sp?) amendment to some crime bill. It is a federal thing, just like the no felony thing. As far as I know Arizona doesn't place any restrictions on firearms purchase above and beyond federal restrictions.

And welcome to Free America!

ca2az96

imported post

kipster1368 wrote:

KIP
Welcome to the Free State of Arizona. Can you please close the gate behind you?