• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sale Act

goosemama

imported post

Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sale Act

Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subject: Fw: Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sale Act

Very Important for you to be aware of a new bill HR 45 introduced into the House.
This is the Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sale Act of 2009.
We just learned yesterday about this on the Peter Boyles radio program.
Even gun shop owners didn't know about this because it is flying under the radar.

To find out about this - go to any government website and type in HR 45 or Google HR 45 Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sales Act of 2009. You will get all the information.
Basically this would make it illegal to own a firearm - any rifle with a clip or ANY pistol unless:
•It is registered
•You are fingerprinted
•You supply a current Driver's License
•You supply your Social Security #
•You will submit to a physical & mental evaluation at any time of their choosing
•Each update - change or ownership through private or public sale must be reported and costs $25 - Failure to do so you automatically lose the right to own a firearm and are subject up to a year in jail.
•There is a child provision clause on page 16 section 305 stating a child-access provision. Gun must be locked and inaccessible to any child under 18.
They would have the right to come and inspect that you are storing your gun safely away from accessibility to children and fine is punishable for up to 5 yrs. in prison.

If you think this is a joke - go to the website and take your pick of many options to read this. It is long and lengthy. But, more and more people are becoming aware of this. Pass the word along. Any hunters in your family - pass this along.

Peter Boyles is on this and having guests. Listen to him on KHOW 630 a.m. in the morning. He suggests the best way to fight this is to tell all your friends about it and "spring into action". Also he suggests we all join a pro-gun group like the Colorado Rifle Association, hunting associations, gun clubs and especially the NRA.
This is just a "termite" approach to complete confiscation of guns and disarming of our society to the point we have no defense - chip away a little here and there until the goal is accomplished before anyone realizes it.
This is one to act on whether you own a gun or not.
If you take my gun, only the criminal will have one to use against me. HR 45 only makes me/us less safe. After working with convicts for 26 years I know this bill, if passed, would make them happy and in less danger from their victims.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.45:
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h45/show
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-45

Please.. copy and send this out to EVERYONE in the USA

THIS WAS EMAILED TO ME TODAY. I HAVE NOT HAD TIME TO READ THE BILL, BUT WILL DO SO TONIGHT. JUST WANTED TO GET THIS OUT TO ALL OF YOU FOR REVIEW.

j2l3

imported post

[align=center]Facts about H.R. 45
[/align]
H.R. 45 would – if enacted – require a federal license to own "any handgun" or "any semiautomatic firearm that can accept any detachable ammunition feeding device."

It has a single sponsor, Democratic Rep. Bobby Rush of Chicago. It was introduced on the first day of the new Congress, and on Feb. 9 it was referred to subcommittee as a routine matter. As of Feb. 20, it was still sitting there with no action scheduled.

That's the way the vast majority of bills die – and the way this same legislation died last year after Rush introduced it in the previous Congress.

Lawmakers often introduce bills to make a political statement, frequently for home consumption. But few such measures have much hope of getting serious consideration, let alone passage. Rush, for example, has sponsored a total of 75 bills since he first came to the House in 1993, according to the nonpartisan site GovTrack.us. But only five of those bills have been enacted into law. Nearly 90 percent of them – a total of 66 bills – did not make their way out of committee.

Rush introduced this same legislation in June 2007, as H.R. 2666.
When Congress adjourned last year that bill died quietly in the HouseSubcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security, the same subcommittee where H.R. 45 now resides. It did eventually attract 16 other House sponsors, but by the time Congress adjourned last year, H.R. 2666 had not received a formal hearing, and it never came to a vote even in subcommittee.

[align=center]Prospects Improved?
[/align]
Prospects may be a bit better this time around. One of those who cosponsored the bill in 2007 was Democratic Rep. Rahm Emmanuel of Chicago, who is now President Barack Obama's chief of staff in the White House. Democrats also have expanded their majorities in both House and Senate.

On the other hand, the White House has not endorsed this legislation as yet, and as a candidate Obama said repeatedly during the campaign, "I'm not going to take away your guns." And he steered away from anything so sweeping as a call for national handgun licensing. Even the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence does not list national handgun licensing among its current legislative priorities, which we take as an indication that they see little chance that H.R. 45 can advance. The Brady Campaign is setting much more modest gun-control goals, such as requiring a criminal background check of those who buy guns at gun shows, as is now required for those who buy from dealers.

[align=center]See for Yourself
[/align]
Whether you are against Rush's legislation or for it, you may check on it for yourself at the Library of Congress' "Thomas" Web site. From the Thomas home page, just type "H.R. 45" in the search box and click the "bill number" button and hit return. That will bring up a page from which you may call up the full text of the bill, a summary from the Congressional Research Service, a listing of all House or Senate actions and votes, and so forth.

Another way to follow the legislation's progress (or lack of it) is on the private but nonpartisan site GovTrack.us. It is a bit easier to use than the Thomas site, which can be clumsy for the beginner. GovTrack also permits the user to set up an RSS feed about events related to a specific bill, and to bookmark a search directly to H.R. 45 or any other bill.

swjr

imported post

Thanks for this additional information. It helps alleviate some concerns. It is still frustrating that a piece of legislation like this would be written in the first place.

rpyne

imported post

A much greater danger is H.R. 257:

Child Gun Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act of 2009 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to: (1) raise the age of handgun eligibility to 21 (currently, 18); and (2) prohibit persons under age 21 from possessing semiautomatic assault weapons or large capacity ammunition feeding devices, with exceptions.

Increases penalties for: (1) a second or subsequent violation by a juvenile of Brady Act provisions or for a first violation committed after an adjudication of delinquency or after a state or federal conviction for an act that, if committed by an adult, would be a serious violent felony; and (2) transferring a handgun, ammunition, semiautomatic assault weapon, or large capacity ammunition feeding device to a person who is under age 21, knowing or having reasonable cause to know that such person intended to use it in the commission of a crime of violence.

Prohibits any licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer from transferring a firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer) unless the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device. Authorizes the Attorney General to suspend or revoke any firearms license, or to subject the licensee to a civil penalty of up to $10,000, if the licensee has knowingly violated this prohibition.

Prohibits keeping a loaded firearm or an unloaded firearm and ammunition within any premises knowing or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child: (1) is capable of gaining access to it; and (2) will use the firearm to cause death or serious bodily injury.

Requires the parent or legal guardian of a child to ensure that a child attending a gun show is accompanied by an adult.

Authorizes the Attorney General to provide grants to enable local law enforcement agencies to develop and sponsor gun safety classes for parents and children.

Expresses the sense of Congress that each school district should provide or participate in a firearms safety program for students.

goosemama

imported post

If my brain doesn't turn to mush after work today, I'm really gonna sit down and read this bill.

Yeah, I know the guy has sponsered several bills and they all have failed. However that was before he had his ultra-liberal buddy in the White House.

I personnaly feel that we have to take ALL these types of bills that try and take our rights as gun owners away from us very seriously and work together to make sure they get squashed.

Plus, remember, Obana said he would not raise our taxes "one single dime!" He was right on that account. It's not the dimes he wants, it's our hard earned DOLLARS.