• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would you work in Australia if a job was offered even if you had to store your arms?

Would you work in Australia if a job was offered?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Not Sure

• Total voters

david.ross

imported post

I'm curious what others think, what if you were given a job offer in one of the major cities of Australia? Would you take the job and store your weapons for a year or two until you went back to the US?

Information to anyone who doesn't know, Australia has strict gun control. Depending on the territory depends on the laws to request a firearms license. In almost all territories, no object or weapon of any kind may be carried with the intent on using said object for self defense or a weapon else the charge would be over an offensive weapon.

Oh right, the largest caliber you can have in Australia is a .38 for a pistol unless you're in a tournament in which you can request permission to obtain a .45.

david.ross

imported post

hehe, almost made me choke on my tea laughing at that one.

Would none of you go for the cultural exchange and have the ability to tour Australia? It is legal to carry a weapon with legal reason, so if your leg is hurting, you can carry a metal staff or carry a monopod for use with camera gear. Legal reasons. Though you're not legally capable of carrying such objects around if you've the intent of using it on people.

CrossFire

imported post

I go to England once a year to visit friends, that is enough cultural exchange for me. Even as you watch the video clips of Brits protesting the loss of their right to own firearms there are still many more who actually believe they are better off having lost that right.

david.ross

imported post

I think a few days to a week isn't enough time to explore a place... I spent weeks in PA and only explored a fraction of Pittsburgh and some of Butler.

One thing I'm particularly upset about is if you take a picture of a kid under the age of 12.. you're automatically a pedophile. If you take a picture of a kid which is 12-17 without parent's permission, you're a pedophile. wtf? :/ I've a nice Nikon D700 with all kinds of gear wankery, what is the purpose of taking pictures in Australia. I suppose one has to take pictures when school is in session and kids are determined to not be in the general public.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

I lived and worked in AUS several years ago for nearly a year while working on an extended project. I liked it a lot once I got out Sydney. Sydney's not a bad city but reminds me a lot of San Francisco politically. I had the opportunity to make it a permanent move but just couldn't make myself do it, partly due to having aging parents on this side of the Pacific. If I were younger, single, no aging-parental issues.... I might do it.

Armed

imported post

I would certainly consider it, but it would depend heavily on the assignment. Personally, I'd love to see Australia. Yes, I would separation anxiety over my arms. What kind of job are you looking at?

david.ross

imported post

A friend is offering to obtain a programming job for me. He has picked the last set of programmers, I told him I'd need to wait until July for various reasons.

Personally, yes... I'm stressing over I'll be away from my firearms. Not for not using them, but even though my friend can watch my place and check the security of the firearms, I always fear about someone breaking in and stealing them.

I don't have any fear about getting mugged or assaulted in Melbourne, I don't feel like explaining why I don't have any fear of such.

I don't know what I want. :(

Michigander

imported post

Hell no I wouldn't. Its gotten to the point where I consider the US constitution or one like it the most crucial aspect of living safely and freely. Something that cannot be dispensed with in any way or for any reason, including money.

chris in va

imported post

Absolutely. I'm unemployed...have been for some time...so a good paying job in an interesting place like Australia would be very cool.

Guns aren't everything people.

Carnivore

imported post

Absolutely. I'm unemployed...

Thats exactly what the obamanites want you to feel, as soon as you show up at the next guns for groceries at your local P.D., you'll be right where the govt. wants you to be..

david.ross

imported post

chris in va wrote:
I refuse to accept such logic. :) Blasphemy! (j/k)

I can't take any of my NFA gear to Australia, why would I want to permanently move there? :)

Anyway, I'd rather be jobless in Alaska living in a cabin, I'd be able to just live off the land. Same could be done in any rural area in the US. Alaska allows subsistence hunting for anyone which uses hunting as their main source of food. Probably best to live in lower alaska for such hunting, as northern alaska is hunted/being hunted dry. Animal populations don't boom as much in the north from the lack of sunlight compared to southern alaska.