• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in a dept. store

gamestalker

imported post

Hey guys,

I need a well informed answer to this one. I entered a Cosco store the other day here in Tucson, Az. and was told I couldn't bring my side arm in with me. Of course I complied with their request not wanting to make a big deal of it especially while standing there with it on my side. But I have read the Arizona laws pertaining to OC in our state, andaccording to our state law if an establishment doesn't allow you to carry in their store they must provide a safe storage location for your weapon while you shop and then allow you to reclaim your weapon upon leaving in a quick and no hassle manner. Even our PD and courts will store your weapon for you because of the statue that requires them to do so.

My question,is Cosco violating my rights as described in our state statue regarding#2 in the constitution. Their answer to that question I posed to the manager is he said because they are a privately owned company they are exempt from that law. I don't believe they are correct and would like some accurate advice about this issue please.

Thanks,

Disarmed in Arizona by Cosco!

Decoligny

imported post

gamestalker wrote:
Hey guys,

I need a well informed answer to this one. I entered a Cosco store the other day here in Tucson, Az. and was told I couldn't bring my side arm in with me. Of course I complied with their request not wanting to make a big deal of it especially while standing there with it on my side. But I have read the Arizona laws pertaining to OC in our state, andaccording to our state law if an establishment doesn't allow you to carry in their store they must provide a safe storage location for your weapon while you shop and then allow you to reclaim your weapon upon leaving in a quick and no hassle manner. Even our PD and courts will store your weapon for you because of the statue that requires them to do so.

My question,is Cosco violating my rights as described in our state statue regarding#2 in the constitution. Their answer to that question I posed to the manager is he said because they are a privately owned company they are exempt from that law. I don't believe they are correct and would like some accurate advice about this issue please.

Thanks,

Disarmed in Arizona by Cosco!

I know that Costco is a club. You have to be a member to shop there. And as such you are subject to their rules.

Do you happen to have a cite for the law you refered to above that requires stores to provide storage? Just curious.

gamestalker

imported post

No, not really. I just went to the Arizona gun laws and found one that was titled arizona.gov or something Az. government related, and then found the extensive portion about gun laws. But I also saw it on a web site I think was from the NRA. In all honesty I've seen this in nearly every posting about Arizona gun laws. Take a look around and I'm sure you'll find it. In the time being I'll find it and give you the site info so you can possibly give me your interpretation of its content. The particular portion I'm referring to states parks, schools, bars, post offices are not legal to carry and maybe a couple of others, but nothing about business entities where the public is welcome to shop. A local Wendy's, CVS pharmacy, WalMart, and some others have challenged me on this and in every instance they spoke to the local PD or researched it through some formal processand were told they must store it or allow it. So I think I'm maybe right about them having to offer safe storage. Who knows? According to my Son whoworks in the federal law enforcement sector here in Az. has advised me I'm right. But I'm still a bit in the dark being that it is a membership business. Unless you have a gift card you can't shop in their store. I had a gift card and therefore didn't need a membership. I think that makes it a business that is open to the public as they are not entirely exclusive to the membership only thing. Thanks for the response and I hope we can maybe get a good advisory on this matter.

GWbiker

imported post

Unfortunately Arizona has this bug-a-boo law that businesses can refuse to serve an individual. The individual must leave the premises or face a "Trespass arrest" by Police.

And so it goes with OC into an establishment that does not like the sight of a hand gun. Believe me, there are plenty of those stores in Arizona with the little signage near entrance......"no weapons" or "No guns". (Those signs are common in Tombstone) If store management tells you to leave, like it or not you must obey. The AZCDL is working on changing the law.

When entering such a business in southern Arizona that does not serve alcohol by drink, "I" usually CC.........remember, out of sight out of mind!

madcapmag

imported post

Almost all, if not all Costco's will have a sign that say firearms are not allowed on premesis. In this state, that means you can't argue. I can't shop at Fry's Electronics while OC-ing (Thunderbird and I-17 in Phoenix) because of that little fact. Worst Buy has been OC friendly so far.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Private Property reserves the right (or option) of prohibiting weapons (any) on the premises.I reserve the right to spend my ill-gotten gains elsewhere.

Dustin

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Private Property reserves the right (or option) of prohibiting weapons (any) on the premises.I reserve the right to spend my ill-gotten gains elsewhere.

And that goes for ALL STATES.

Private Property store ownerscan restrict what they want to restrict.

Even though they cannot restrict an ALL Black or ALL White establishment. You know polotics ... Let's not get started down that road of how DUMB this is....

The best advice is is that if a manager ask you to leave you DO IT ! If your pissed off, call a lawyer. Usualy the first phone call is free.

Michigander

imported post

Arizona is an example of what happens when OCing is well known by nearly everyone. Eventually, the panzy ass anti gunners will do what they can to inhibit it. Just means progress, or in AZ's case, it means OCing never became rare.

It was a damn shame not being able to shop at Costco or Trader Joes when I was in AZ. I normally ended up just going to Fry's.

gamestalker

imported post

You are absolutly correct in that they can prohibit us from carrying in their establishments. However, they still must providestorage as described in Arizona State law. I always comply with their request but always give them a copy I carry with me of the law as it is written and intended to be utilized for each of us. I have yet to lose this argument and will continue to educate those public entities when this issues presents its self.

gamestalker

imported post

Oops, I've been forcing some establishments to comply with what does not apply to them! The strange thing is those who have been refusing to allow me to carry have read the statues and then complied with my request. I guess they are at least as dumb as I am.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I've conceled them statues they need a CWP to conceal 'n got the stone cold shoulder. :?