• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

H.B. 357 Substitute --A good one for Non-Permit OCers

scorpioajr

thx997303

imported post

well, i dont know how great this one would really be, i mean, having to unload the chamber when you get out of the vehicle. a little bit excess handking of the firearm if you ask me. some safety problems there.

still better than what we have now.

scorpioajr

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
well, i dont know how great this one would really be, i mean, having to unload the chamber when you get out of the vehicle...
Well, right -- I guess i was thinking more in terms of just leaving it unloaded and on the hip. Instead of having to have it securely encased and not readily available, etc. Its just nice to see some legislature FOR gun owners come up, thats all.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Well, if this bill passes, technically you could do both if you are careful.

As is stands now, this bill would allow you to leave your unloaded pistol on your hip, and it would not be considered concealed in your vehicle. However, you would still need to avoid school zones without a permit.

Now to the loaded without a permit issue.

The new text would allow a loaded firearm in your vehicle, but it still criminalizes a loaded firearm on a public street, and in a posted prohibited area. Soooo... what happens if your vehicle is on a public street? Or you drive into a city that is posted? Is the loaded firearm legal as long as it remains inside the vehicle under your control?

Also, it appears that only an unladed firearm may be concealed in your vehicle without a permit. If it were loaded in your vehicle, the firearm would need to be visibly open.

Bottom line... I like this substitute! It pretty much removes the need to disarm and keep your unladed firearm visible, or securely encased. The original S.B. 357 only decriminalized storage in a glove box or console box.

swjr

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Well, if this bill passes, technically you could do both if you are careful.

As is stands now, this bill would allow you to leave your unloaded pistol on your hip, and it would not be considered concealed in your vehicle. However, you would still need to avoid school zones without a permit.

Now to the loaded without a permit issue.

The new text would allow a loaded firearm in your vehicle, but it still criminalizes a loaded firearm on a public street, and in a posted prohibited area. Soooo... what happens if your vehicle is on a public street? Or you drive into a city that is posted? Is the loaded firearm legal as long as it remains inside the vehicle under your control?

Also, it appears that only an unladed firearm may be concealed in your vehicle without a permit. If it were loaded in your vehicle, the firearm would need to be visibly open.

Bottom line... I like this substitute! It pretty much removes the need to disarm and keep your unladed firearm visible, or securely encased. The original S.B. 357 only decriminalized storage in a glove box or console box.
From what I can tell it lets anyone carry an unloaded OR loaded firearm in their vehicles. It also allows the firearm to be concealed.

This is a GREAT bill for those that don't have a CFP permit and are openly carrying then get into their vehicle.

The only problem that remains for OCers is the stupid school zones.... it's those fed's barging in on state rights again...

rpyne

imported post

Unfortunately, this has little chance of making into law this year, there being only nine days left in the session and it is still sitting in the House Rules Committee.

swjr

imported post

rpyne wrote:
Unfortunately, this has little chance of making into law this year, there being only nine days left in the session and it is still sitting in the House Rules Committee.

Is this where I need to watch the whole "how a bill becomes a law" video again? :?

Edited to Add: http://www.le.state.ut.us/~2009/status/hbillsta/hb0357s01.htm

Looks like it's made it's way onto the House calendar at least...

SecondAmendmentStudents

imported post

This bill is likely to be voted on during the House floor time today. It still has to wend it's way though the Senate, but there's hope!

rpyne

imported post

It passed the House this morning on a 65-8-2 vote.

Those voting against it were:Biskupski; Fisher, Janice; Johnson; Riesen; Chavez-Houck; Hemingway; Litvack; and Wiley

Those absent or not voting: Gibson, K; and Noel