• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of Bass Pro Shop

Bill84

imported post

Hi all, this is my first post, and i'm not sure if this is the right spot, but i'm in Las Vegas, and I just got kicked out of Bass Pro Shop for open carrying. I'm pretty ticked off, and I'd like to cause a ruckus till they change their policy. Anyone know how i could go about doing that?

mobeewan

imported post

Don't know, but the Bass Pro here in Hampton, Va has a sign inside indicating carry is okay onlywith a permit so it may be corporate policy.

Bill84

imported post

I'll start by calling corporate office in the morning and go from there

squisher

imported post

You might check in the Nevada section to this forum, the laws in Vegas (Clark county?) are a little different than the rest of the state somehow.

It might not apply to you, but it's worth checking out.

Still, I don't think that's corporate policy in general for bass pro, so that angle is worth checking as well.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Bill84 wrote:
Hi all, this is my first post, and i'm not sure if this is the right spot, but i'm in Las Vegas, and I just got kicked out of Bass Pro Shop for open carrying. I'm pretty ticked off, and I'd like to cause a ruckus till they change their policy. Anyone know how i could go about doing that?

The first thing I would do is adjust your attitude.

As an ambassador for gun owners and OCers (like it or not), your approach seems likely to create more enemies than friends.

Why not educate instead of demean?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

First - welcome to OCDO Bill84

Second - suggestion: Take a deep breath and relax.
You will get better results and more cooperation with letting BPS management know that you were "distressed" and "embarrassed" regarding your treatment etc. An angry approach will only meet with resistance.

In Va. if have OCd every time I have visited BPS near Ashland, Va. and never had a problem - others have reported the same.

I think you will find that BPS tends to honor the laws of the state in which the store is located. You may have encountered an employee not familiar with BPS policy or confused it with employee rules.

Take it slow, polite and let us know how it goes.

Yata hey

FMCDH

imported post

squisher wrote:
You might check in the Nevada section to this forum, the laws in Vegas (Clark county?) are a little different than the rest of the state somehow.

Still, I don't think that's corporate policy in general for bass pro, so that angle is worth checking as well.
The only difference in Clark County as opposed to the rest of Nevada is that they have a grandfathered gun registration scheme. Otherwise, they have full state preemption.

See: NRS 269.222 http://www.leg.state.nv.us/law1.cfm

But, private property is private property. If it is indeed their corporate policy not to allow firearms, then you can choose to take your business elsewhere or contact the corporate office and ask that they re-consider. What you should NOT do is carry there anymore until clarification on the matter is given.

Youshould also ask if individual stores are allowed to make this decision on their own, or if they are required to follow corporate policy.

Step 1 is ask for clarification and do so with a respectful manner.

Step1a is to take a favorable clarification to the individual store and show them in writing and ask that they adhere to it.

Step1b is to take an unfavorable clarification and post it in the Nevada board as being a non-OC friendly business.

Vegassteve

imported post

If you do a search for BassPro and my user name you will find a thread and a contact name for corp. This issue was resolved a few months ago here in Vegas. I have not been to Basspro since Christmas so I dont know if or why it changed. I talked to the corp loss prevention manager and he assured me that it was ok to carry. I did many times after talking to him.

Who tossed you out? What part of the store were you in?

Vegassteve

imported post

Here is the name and phone number.

My name is Steve Kuhn. I am the Director of Loss Prevention for Bass Pro Shops. The policy concerning concealed carry and open carry are the same. Both methods of carrying a firearm in our stores is permitted as long as it is lawful. In the case of Nevada both are andchecking your firearm is not required. I have contacted the Loss Prevention Manager in the Vegas store about this situation and he has assured me that he will personally make sure allDoor Greeters are properly trained and know that open carry is lawful and does not require the firearm to be checked. If youfind a problem there again please feel free to send me an e-mail or call my office directly. My direct number is 417 873-4796.

KBCraig

imported post

Welcome to OCDO, Bill.

First, let me echo other's suggestion to take a breath and relax. This is nothing to get angry about, no more than you'd be angry about a fine restaurant requiring a jacket and tie before seating you.

Any private property owner's rights trump your desire to enter their property on your own terms.

Most importantly, you can't do much about changing the situation if you're angry. A calm, reasoned, and educational approach has done lots of good with stores like Wal Mart and Bass Pro. Angry tirades only close ears and minds.

Follow up with VegasSteve's contact information, and let us know how it goes.

6L6GC

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
Don't know, but the Bass Pro here in Hampton, Va has a sign inside indicating carry is okay onlywith a permit so it may be corporate policy.
uh, you'd better check that sign again. I've been through this with the mindless punks there in that store. What the sign instructs you to do is to turn in your weapon while you are shopping. Supposedly you'll get it back when you leave. They are dead set against open carry AND concealed carry. The sign even forbids the "carry" of bows!!!!
:cuss:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

6L6GC wrote:
mobeewan wrote:
uh, you'd better check that sign again. I've been through this with the mindless punks there in that store. What the sign instructs you to do is to turn in your weapon while you are shopping. Supposedly you'll get it back when you leave. They are dead set against open carry AND concealed carry. The sign even forbids the "carry" of bows!!!!
:cuss:
Would very much like to see a picture of that sign. The BPS in Ashland near Richmond has no such wording.

Yata hey

6L6GC

imported post

well, since they are anti carry I rarely go there, but perhaps this weekend I will try to force my self to enter the devil's lair and snap a picture of the sign. I will post the pic here (if I can figure out how to post a picture) .

With their anti freedom attitude and high prices I find it distastefull to patrionize them. To be honest, if they went belly up I wouldn't give a care.

squisher

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
squisher wrote:

The only difference in Clark County as opposed to the rest of Nevada is that they have a grandfathered gun registration scheme. Otherwise, they have full state preemption.

But, private property is private property. If it is indeed their corporate policy not to allow firearms, then you can choose to take your business elsewhere or contact the corporate office and ask that they re-consider. What you should NOT do is carry there anymore until clarification on the matter is given.

Youshould also ask if individual stores are allowed to make this decision on their own, or if they are required to follow corporate policy.

Step1a is to take a favorable clarification to the individual store and show them in writing and ask that they adhere to it.

Step1b is to take an unfavorable clarification and post it in the Nevada board as being a non-OC friendly business.
Thanks, I couldn't remember exactly what the difference was.

Gordie

imported post

squisher wrote:
FMCDH wrote:
squisher wrote:

Thanks, I couldn't remember exactly what the difference was.

Keep in mind that our State AG's office has recently come out with a statement that local ordinances are not overruled by state preemption laws. This is being fought, but until then you can expect no help from the AG's office if you are arrested on a local gun charge. This could be part of the problem, they may have been told that it is illegal to OC in their area.

FMCDH

imported post

Gordie wrote:
Keep in mind that our State AG's office has recently come out with a statement that local ordinances are not overruled by state preemption laws. This is being fought, but until then you can expect no help from the AG's office if you are arrested on a local gun charge. This could be part of the problem, they may have been told that it is illegal to OC in their area.
So Nevada is following in the footsteps of Colorado? Please say it aint so!

I mean honestly, whats the point of preemption if any city, town or municipality can simply pass an ordinance? The entire point of preemption is to keep the laws uniform so you don't have to carry and study a rule book 5 inches thick every time you step out your front door.

Could you please cite a link to the AG opinion? I took a look through the 2008 and 2009 opinions but could not find anything to do with state preemption. What year was the opinion published? Here is a link to the Nevada AG web page.... http://ag.state.nv.us/main.htm

Gordie

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
Gordie wrote:
So Nevada is following in the footsteps of Colorado? Please say it aint so!

I mean honestly, whats the point of preemption if any city, town or municipality can simply pass an ordinance? The entire point of preemption is to keep the laws uniform so you don't have to carry and study a rule book 5 inches thick every time you step out your front door.

Could you please cite a link to the AG opinion? I took a look through the 2008 and 2009 opinions but could not find anything to do with state preemption. What year was the opinion published? Here is a link to the Nevada AG web page.... http://ag.state.nv.us/main.htm
Here is the AG's statement:

http://ag.state.nv.us/about/faqs/firearms/carry.htm

[align=center]Can I carry a firearm on my person in Nevada?
[/align]
Currently, there are no State of Nevada statutes prohibiting the open carrying of firearms. However, in Nevada there are some local statutes prohibiting the carrying of loaded firearms within their jurisdictions.

Any person wishing to carry a firearm in open view – before doing so – is strongly encouraged to contact that jurisdictions’ law enforcement agency to determine if a statute against the open carrying of firearms does exist and that agency’s enforcement policy concerning the open carrying of firearms.

Caution! The open carrying of firearms – especially in congested urban areas – may be the cause of you being confronted by law enforcement!

Here is an e-mail recieved by a representative of the AG's office:

Dear Mr. Xxxx:

Your e-mail to the Nevada Attorney General’s Office has been forwarded to me for review and response.

This office is very much aware of NRS 268.418, NRS 244.364, and NRS 269.222. Basically these state statutes are supremacy legislation over the local statutes governing the regulation of firearms (with the exception of the no shooting / no discharge of firearms authority). From the time of the enactment of these statutes, the Nevada State Legislature is now the controlling authority over local firearms statutes.

Strict constructionist reading of these statutes shows that there is no language repealing any local statutes regarding firearms; again, just the supremacy language. Hence all existing local firearms statutes at the time of this legislation are “grandfathered” in, including your reference to the Clark County ordnance requiring handgun registration (and any other local firearms’ statute).

An excellent example of the Nevada State Legislature as the controlling (supremacy) authority over local firearms statutes is Nevada Senate Bill 92 (Statutes of Nevada, Page 1289, amending NRS 244.364). This is the legislation that changed the handgun registration requirements in Clark County.

In more simple terms, at the time of the enactment of these statutes, the State of Nevada took control of local firearms’ statutes. The State of Nevada, in taking control of these local firearms’ statutes, did not repeal them! Nor is there any conflict with local and state statues.

These local firearms’ ordinances still in effect! That is why there is the conditional statement on the Nevada Attorney General’s website urging caution about the possibility of local ordnances prohibiting the open carrying of firearms.

All existing local firearms statutes, as they now read, they are legal and enforceable unless amended or repealed by the Nevada statute. Hence, there is no “faulty claim” to be corrected andyour interpretation of NRS 268.418, NRS 244.364, and NRS 269.222 is not correct.

Thank you contacting the Nevada Attorney General’s Office concerning this matter.

John C. Berrier

Legal Researcher – Criminal Division

Office of Nevada Attorney General

100 N Carson Street

Carson City, NV 89701

Telephone: (775) 684-1240

Hopefully this will be resolved in a timely matter.

6L6GC

imported post

OK, I went to the Bass Pro Shop today (since I didn't go to work) and when I entered the store "the sign" had been moved to the other side of the vestibule. So I sauntered over and got out the ole digital camera and took a picture of the new sign. The greeter (an older lady) said "whut ya doin?" Just taking a picture of the new sign I replied. "Oh", she said, well you can ask him if you have any questions".

Thanks I said and turned the corner to talk to "him". Now "him" turned out to be the loss prevention manager. I told him that I noticed that the sign was changed and now provided for concealed carry. "Yep", he beamed with a toothy grin, "got a new policy". "Why no open carry in the store" I quizzed. "You can open carry in the store if you want" he replied, "but we gotta put a trigger lock on it first". "It's for safety" he explained.

I didn't want to get in an argument with him about how insane it is to think that one's safety is enhanced by having a trigger lock installed on one's self defense machine. I'll save that argument for another day.

Looks like they still don't get it, but at least they aren't hassling concealed carriers any more so they're going in the right direction. We have to keep them moving until they go all the way (accepting concealed OR open carry)

So anyway, I will post a picture of the sign if I can figure out how to do that. Other members do that so I know it can be done but I just don't know how. Yet. Any advice about that will be appreciated.

TFred

imported post

6L6GC wrote:
OK, I went to the Bass Pro Shop today (since I didn't go to work) and when I entered the store "the sign" had been moved to the other side of the vestibule. So I sauntered over and got out the ole digital camera and took a picture of the new sign. The greeter (an older lady) said "whut ya doin?" Just taking a picture of the new sign I replied. "Oh", she said, well you can ask him if you have any questions".

Thanks I said and turned the corner to talk to "him". Now "him" turned out to be the loss prevention manager. I told him that I noticed that the sign was changed and now provided for concealed carry. "Yep", he beamed with a toothy grin, "got a new policy". "Why no open carry in the store" I quizzed. "You can open carry in the store if you want" he replied, "but we gotta put a trigger lock on it first". "It's for safety" he explained.

I didn't want to get in an argument with him about how insane it is to think that one's safety is enhanced by having a trigger lock installed on one's self defense machine. I'll save that argument for another day.

Looks like they still don't get it, but at least they aren't hassling concealed carriers any more so they're going in the right direction. We have to keep them moving until they go all the way (accepting concealed OR open carry)

So anyway, I will post a picture of the sign if I can figure out how to do that. Other members do that so I know it can be done but I just don't know how. Yet. Any advice about that will be appreciated.
My trigger lock came with instructions that said "Never, ever place a trigger lock on a loaded gun"!

Safety... sure.

TFred