• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why can't we have one like this?

DESERT ATILLA

imported post

I was looking at the Utah threads and came upon this thread. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/20116.html

Despite the different language, it seems to me that the intent of our respective legislatures was to have complete control of firearms in the state. So what is it? Is our AG so inexperienced that she can't read and understand law, or has she decided to shape law as she sees fit.

Here is another question. Is there something in the Utah law that kept our own lawmakers from using similar language. To me, the Utah law is very well written. There doesn't seem to be any ambiguity. Has anybody who communicates with our representatives on a regular basis suggested to them to alter the existing language or have them talk to the AG?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

A lot of people have written e-mails to our local reps telling them they need to fix the preemption problem. Apparently they are more occupied with other things. I haven't received a reply from any of the ones I sent an e-mail to.

rpyne

imported post

You can, it just takes work.

We were fortunate enough to have a group of citizens here in Utah that took the time to meet face to face with many state legislators to hammer out the details over several years.

It took us several years to get it all hammered out and passed. It took literally hundreds of hours by dedicated volunteers to meet, discuss and lobby the issues with members of the state legislature including working on election campaigns of pro-gun legislators, AG, and governor.

It is a never ending battle to retain and refine the rights of gun owners and it requires many dedicated people to work together.

If you really want to effect change, you have to get involved in all phases of the political process. It takes time, money, and effort, but it CAN be done. Put your time and money behind candidates that support your rights and then remind them who got them elected once they are in office. Take the time to sit down and draft proposed legislation to accomplish what you are after. Spend the many hours to haunt the halls and chambers of the state legislature while it is in hearings and in session.

Probably our biggest triumph here in Utah was to elect an AG who was solidly pro-gun and had enough fortitude to challenge the governor and other state agencies in upholding the law once it was enacted. This included several cases that went clear to the State Supreme Court to uphold the laws and our rights.

We are not through yet. we have a number of pro-gun bills in the current session of the legislature and a number of anti gun bills we are fighting. To preserve your rights takes eternal vigilance.

rpyne

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
A lot of people have written e-mails to our local reps telling them they need to fix the preemption problem. Apparently they are more occupied with other things. I haven't received a reply from any of the ones I sent an e-mail to.
The work of influencing your representative starts long before they get to the chambers of the capitol. It starts by getting to know them personally. Work on their campaign. Invite them to meet personally or with small groups to discuss issues. When they know you well enough to recognize your name when you email them and when their staff knows you by name when you call, then you are getting close.

Also, don't be a single issue constituent. Find several areas of concern and make your voice heard on all of them. Take the time to read and understand as many pieces of legislation as you possibly can and then communicate your position on them to your representative.