• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carried all Last week no problem Crowley & Lafayette......

cajunpapapump

imported post

Last week carried just about everywhere I went except Church, Burger king, chinese rest., Chili's, Mall of Acadina, Wallmart, Searsand public auction. No problem, a few people asked what dept. I was with. and handed out some flyers to support LA carry. And even got a few peoples interest about oc'ing.:dude:

Mississippian

imported post

Cool, one of my favorite places to eat while on the road is the Rice Palace in Crowley, but I have to CC while working becausethe company I'm leased tohas an 'official' ;)anti-gun policy.

SDguy

imported post

Are you not allowed to carry inside a church? I live in South Dakota where we are not prevented from carrying except in a jail, courthouse, grammar school or a bar. I carry in church every Sunday.

I always wondered why some people find it wrong or immoral or odd or whatever to carry in church. Just wondering why you don't.

sraacke

imported post

cajunpapapump wrote:
Last week carried just about everywhere I went except Church, Burger king, chinese rest., Chili's, Mall of Acadina, Wallmart, Searsand public auction. No problem, a few people asked what dept. I was with. and handed out some flyers to support LA carry. And even got a few peoples interest about oc'ing.:dude:
I'm confused buy how you worded this... Did you OC in Chili's? In the Chinese Resturant? I'm still hazy on the legalities of OC in resturants which serve alcohol such as Chili's and chinese or mexican resurants.

SDguy

imported post

It makes one wonder what the state legislature was thinking when they came up with the list of no-carry places. What is special about a church for example that you are not allowed to carry there? There are a number of examples where a legal firearm was useful in church.

The same goes for restaurants. Is there no need to be armed while eating or something? It seems that the people we elect don't think very far.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

SDguy wrote:
It makes one wonder what the state legislature was thinking when they came up with the list of no-carry places. What is special about a church for example that you are not allowed to carry there? There are a number of examples where a legal firearm was useful in church.

The polititions might be there photo-opting that they are good religious folk,
and don't want to soil themselves in front of cameras.
That or the racist reasons created in GA, CA, and elsewhere that the naacp
has no problem with.

I think it is almost funny that one constitutionally protected entity, can have
another protected right denied to it.

I guess you can't have ajoining rights. :cuss::cuss:

JohnL

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
article 1 sec 11 mentions NO exceptions to the right to bear arms, none.

That's correct, Mark. That is absolutely what it says.

On the other hand, there are exceptions. Just as the United States Supreme Court interpretation of 2A doesn't allow one to keep and bear any arms at all, the Louisiana Supreme Court has allowed for exceptions. By example, in State v. Amos, 343 So.2d 166, 168 (La. 1977) you'll find:

"It is beyond question that the statute challenged in the instant case was passed in the interest of the public and as an exercise of the police power vested in the legislature. Its purpose is to limit the possession of firearms by persons who, by their past commission of certain specified serious felonies, have demonstrated a dangerous disregard for the law and present a potential threat of further or future criminal activity."

Other states hold the same opinion, using public safety as the primary driver for such interpretation. The wide hole, of course, is what (or who) determines what (and who) is a risk to public safety.

John

imported post

While I don't claim to speak for others, I, myself, am BEYOND tired of the courts and their violation of our rights. Not tired, BEYOND tired.
The state constitution, when re-written back in the 70's, could have been changed to state in article 1 sec 11 there are exceptions to this right. The state's control over CONCEALED carry is clearly mentioned there, but NOTHING else is. So, as far as I'm concerned, the courts are guilty of violating the very law they purport to uphold.
Maybe it's time to bring back the concept of tar and feathers.