Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: New Purchase

  1. #1
    Regular Member tygereye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    Ok, I finally was able to purchase, I have been a member since December, and I purchased my first firearm yesterday!!!! :celebrate:celebrate I live in waterford, and had to go to the waterford PD to get my purchase permit, that was fun... They(the PD department)wanted to charge me $10 to notarize it. I chose to take it to my bank and get it done for free. The bank had never seen such a thing before, they almost didn't do it. The bank finally calledthe PD, to verify what they were notarizing, never mind that I had told them 5 or more times. Either way, got it notarized, and avoided the city making the money on me, that they shouldn't. I went with my brother to a gun shop, and we found quite the little gem of a pistol. I got a S&W 9mm model 39. I have yet to fire it, but I can't wait. Just had to toss it out here!!

  2. #2
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445

    Post imported post

    Sweet

    Congrats

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    156

    Post imported post

    congrats. a lot of people like the smith and wessons. have fun shooting it.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    625

    Post imported post

    Congrats! Now you have the "Keep"(To have)part of the 2nd, now you need to practice the "Bear" (To carry) part.

  5. #5
    Regular Member tygereye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    Thanks everyone, looking forward to "joining the ranks" finally... gotta break in the holster though... there is only one way to do that... :P

  6. #6
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445

    Post imported post

    tygereye wrote:
    Ok, I finally was able to purchase, I have been a member since December, and I purchased my first firearm yesterday!!!! :celebrate:celebrate I live in waterford, and had to go to the waterford PD to get my purchase permit, that was fun... They (the PD department)wanted to charge me $10 to notarize it. I chose to take it to my bank and get it done for free. The bank had never seen such a thing before, they almost didn't do it. The bank finally calledthe PD, to verify what they were notarizing, never mind that I had told them 5 or more times. Either way, got it notarized, and avoided the city making the money on me, that they shouldn't. I went with my brother to a gun shop, and we found quite the little gem of a pistol. I got a S&W 9mm model 39. I have yet to fire it, but I can't wait. Just had to toss it out here!!
    That is the gun I often OC. I have the 39-2 which is a later model that took care of some feeding problems. It was my Dad's and he bought it in the late 1970's. I like it it, shoots very well.

    BTW Isn't this model one of the first 9mm semi-autos made in the US? I also heard some special forces (Green Beret??)used them when it first came out in the '50s. I'll have to do some searching.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_39
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    667

    Post imported post

    Congrats tygereye, I have a couple of smiths(wheel guns) myself. I have a CPL so my purchase procedure may vary from yours, so I'm wondering what the notary stuff was about. Maybe someone can help me understand.springerdave.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Taurus850CIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,071

    Post imported post

    Venator wrote:
    tygereye wrote:
    Ok, I finally was able to purchase, I have been a member since December, and I purchased my first firearm yesterday!!!! :celebrate:celebrate I live in waterford, and had to go to the waterford PD to get my purchase permit, that was fun... They (the PD department)wanted to charge me $10 to notarize it. I chose to take it to my bank and get it done for free. The bank had never seen such a thing before, they almost didn't do it. The bank finally calledthe PD, to verify what they were notarizing, never mind that I had told them 5 or more times. Either way, got it notarized, and avoided the city making the money on me, that they shouldn't. I went with my brother to a gun shop, and we found quite the little gem of a pistol. I got a S&W 9mm model 39. I have yet to fire it, but I can't wait. Just had to toss it out here!!
    That is the gun I often OC. I have the 39-2 which is a later model that took care of some feeding problems. It was my Dad's and he bought it in the late 1970's. I like it it, shoots very well.

    BTW Isn't this model one of the first 9mm semi-autos made in the US? I also heard some special forces (Green Beret??)used them when it first came out in the '50s. I'll have to do some searching.
    It is one of the first, and it was issued to the armed forces in limited numbers. It was supposed to replace the 1911, but didn't. Hers is the 39-2, also. Apparently, the 39 had a hump on the feed ramp that caused those feed issues, and it was removed in the -2 model. That pistol is really clean.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

    Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

    Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

    The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

    With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    199

    Post imported post

    People without CPL must get a purchase permit from their local PD. This form requries notorization.

    Those of us with CPL just go buy pistol and send in RI60.. Much easier..

    Ben

  10. #10
    Regular Member Taurus850CIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,071

    Post imported post

    springerdave wrote:
    Congrats tygereye, I have a couple of smiths(wheel guns) myself. I have a CPL so my purchase procedure may vary from yours, so I'm wondering what the notary stuff was about. Maybe someone can help me understand.springerdave.
    The salesman said most departments pre-notarize the permits. As soon as he said that, I recalled the signature pre-stamped on all the purchase permits I have gotten from Oakland County. He found it odd that Waterford wants to charge for the notary service. They are probably just looking for more green...
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

    Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

    Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

    The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

    With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

  11. #11
    Regular Member tygereye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    The only thingwe were able to figure out about the notary fee, is that the Oakland County records department purchase permits are already notarized. The Waterford PD charges you for this. The gun shoppersonnel were able to enlightenus on this...

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    199

    Post imported post

    As much as I disagree with:
    A) Purchase Permits
    B) Fees for such
    C) Anything that restricts law-abiding citizens from obtaining a firearm..

    I have to say.. I can't see how a pre-notarized form could possibly be within the law. A notary is REQUIRED to physically see you, verify your identity and witness you signing the record.

    From the Michigan SOS Website:
    When a notary public takes a verification on oath or affirmation, or witnesses or attests to a signature, the individual signing the record must do so in the presence of the notary. There is no exception to this requirement.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Taurus850CIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,071

    Post imported post

    That's Gov't for ya. Make the law, but don't abide by it.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

    Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

    Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

    The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

    With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    199

    Post imported post

    Yeah, the unfortunate part though is... Are you carrying a legally purchased firearm if you purchased it with a pre-notarized purchase-permit?

    Ben

  15. #15
    Regular Member Taurus850CIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,071

    Post imported post

    That's not funny. That's not even in the same zip code as funny.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

    Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

    Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

    The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

    With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    199

    Post imported post

    As was said in "Men in Black"- We at the FBI Do not have a sense of humor that we are aware of"

    I wasn't saying it to be funny - I don't laugh about things that could put someone behind bars.

    Ben

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,416

    Post imported post

    Venator wrote:
    tygereye wrote:
    Ok, I finally was able to purchase, I have been a member since December, and I purchased my first firearm yesterday!!!! :celebrate:celebrate I live in waterford, and had to go to the waterford PD to get my purchase permit, that was fun... They (the PD department)wanted to charge me $10 to notarize it. I chose to take it to my bank and get it done for free. The bank had never seen such a thing before, they almost didn't do it. The bank finally calledthe PD, to verify what they were notarizing, never mind that I had told them 5 or more times. Either way, got it notarized, and avoided the city making the money on me, that they shouldn't. I went with my brother to a gun shop, and we found quite the little gem of a pistol. I got a S&W 9mm model 39. I have yet to fire it, but I can't wait. Just had to toss it out here!!
    That is the gun I often OC. I have the 39-2 which is a later model that took care of some feeding problems. It was my Dad's and he bought it in the late 1970's. I like it it, shoots very well.

    BTW Isn't this model one of the first 9mm semi-autos made in the US? I also heard some special forces (Green Beret??)used them when it first came out in the '50s. I'll have to do some searching.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_39
    That is a nice gun. I heard the same thing about them being SF used. I had a chance to handle one at my local. I tried to think of a way of "needing" one, but just couldn't justify the purchase.

    Sweet gun. Congrats.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Taurus850CIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,071

    Post imported post

    I know you meant it seriously. I have purchased several handguns in my life, most of the paperwork went through Oakland County. I purchased them legally according to how the county practices the law. Do defendants get in trouble for a lawyer practicing illegally? I would like to think that if it is, in fact, an illegal practice by the county, I would not suffer the consequences. Lots of people bought handguns and had their paperwork processed through that county. That would be an absolute disaster.

    I still think it's not funny.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

    Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

    Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

    The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

    With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Taurus850CIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,071

    Post imported post

    Come to think of it, I don't recall anything in MCL about requiring a notary to witness the signing of a permit. Is that just a practice that these departments have?

    ETA:

    (4) Applications for licenses under this section shall be signed by the applicant under oath upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police. Licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols shall be executed in quadruplicate upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police and shall be signed by the licensing authority. Four copies of the license shall be delivered to the applicant by the licensing authority. A license is void unless used within 10 days after the date it is issued.


    Nothing about a notary, just that the permit be signed by the licensing department. Is yours signed by Waterford, Tygereye?
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

    Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

    Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

    The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

    With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

  20. #20
    Regular Member tygereye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    wish I could just scan and post it... there is a "signature of Chief or Sheriff, my signature, the notary signature, and the gun shop signature... with all those signatures, I hope I am covered...

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    199

    Post imported post

    Taurus850CIA wrote:
    Come to think of it, I don't recall anything in MCL about requiring a notary to witness the signing of a permit. Is that just a practice that these departments have?

    ETA:

    (4) Applications for licenses under this section shall be signed by the applicant under oath upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police. Licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols shall be executed in quadruplicate upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police and shall be signed by the licensing authority. Four copies of the license shall be delivered to the applicant by the licensing authority. A license is void unless used within 10 days after the date it is issued.


    Nothing about a notary, just that the permit be signed by the licensing department. Is yours signed by Waterford, Tygereye?
    When a notary public takes a verification on oath or affirmation, or witnesses or attests to a signature, the individual signing the record must do so in the presence of the notary. There is no exception to this requirement.





    I believe that is what a notary is certifying. I could be very very wrong though - we need a legal expert..

    Ben


  22. #22
    Regular Member Taurus850CIA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,071

    Post imported post

    PilotPTK wrote:
    Taurus850CIA wrote:
    Come to think of it, I don't recall anything in MCL about requiring a notary to witness the signing of a permit. Is that just a practice that these departments have?

    ETA:

    (4) Applications for licenses under this section shall be signed by the applicant under oath upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police. Licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols shall be executed in quadruplicate upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police and shall be signed by the licensing authority. Four copies of the license shall be delivered to the applicant by the licensing authority. A license is void unless used within 10 days after the date it is issued.


    Nothing about a notary, just that the permit be signed by the licensing department. Is yours signed by Waterford, Tygereye?
    When a notary public takes a verification on oath or affirmation, or witnesses or attests to a signature, the individual signing the record must do so in the presence of the notary. There is no exception to this requirement.





    I believe that is what a notary is certifying. I could be very very wrong though - we need a legal expert..

    Ben
    It says "signed by applicant under oath". I think this refers to the general oath "all things contained herein are correct to the best of my knowledge". Lord knows I've been wrong before.

    ETA: I agree with your assessment that a pre-notarized form would be against the law.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

    Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

    Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

    The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

    With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    667

    Post imported post

    tygereye,:what: DO NOT scan your card! That info is privie to you only! The internet is no place to put that info. But any way sorry i hijacked your thread, sort of, but we need to know every time Big Brother oversteps his bounds. It is becoming clear that this may be one of those times. So thanks for bringing this to the light.springerdave.

  24. #24
    Regular Member tygereye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    347

    Post imported post

    I wouldn't have actually scanned it... to much personal info on that thing... was just attempting to make a point that with todays technology, would be easier that way, than to type it all in... no worries... not gonna go there... Thanks...

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    wixom, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    Very nice Smith and Wesson! Congratulations. Now we all have to get our own lane at the range .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •