• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Purchase

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Come to think of it, I don't recall anything in MCL about requiring a notary to witness the signing of a permit. Is that just a practice that these departments have?

ETA:

(4) Applications for licenses under this section shall be signed by the applicant under oath upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police. Licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols shall be executed in quadruplicate upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police and shall be signed by the licensing authority. Four copies of the license shall be delivered to the applicant by the licensing authority. A license is void unless used within 10 days after the date it is issued.

Nothing about a notary, just that the permit be signed by the licensing department. Is yours signed by Waterford, Tygereye?

When a notary public takes a verification on oath or affirmation, or witnesses or attests to a signature, the individual signing the record must do so in the presence of the notary. There is no exception to this requirement.

I believe that is what a notary is certifying. I could be very very wrong though - we need a legal expert..

Ben

Taurus850CIA

imported post

PilotPTK wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:
Come to think of it, I don't recall anything in MCL about requiring a notary to witness the signing of a permit. Is that just a practice that these departments have?

ETA:

(4) Applications for licenses under this section shall be signed by the applicant under oath upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police. Licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols shall be executed in quadruplicate upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police and shall be signed by the licensing authority. Four copies of the license shall be delivered to the applicant by the licensing authority. A license is void unless used within 10 days after the date it is issued.

Nothing about a notary, just that the permit be signed by the licensing department. Is yours signed by Waterford, Tygereye?

When a notary public takes a verification on oath or affirmation, or witnesses or attests to a signature, the individual signing the record must do so in the presence of the notary. There is no exception to this requirement.

I believe that is what a notary is certifying. I could be very very wrong though - we need a legal expert..

Ben
It says "signed by applicant under oath". I think this refers to the general oath "all things contained herein are correct to the best of my knowledge". Lord knows I've been wrong before.

ETA: I agree with your assessment that a pre-notarized form would be against the law.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

tygereye,:what: DO NOT scan your card! That info is privie to you only! The internet is no place to put that info. But any way sorry i hijacked your thread, sort of:D, but we need to know every time Big Brother oversteps his bounds. It is becoming clear that this may be one of those times. So thanks for bringing this to the light.springerdave.

tygereye

imported post

I wouldn't have actually scanned it... to much personal info on that thing... :D was just attempting to make a point that with todays technology, would be easier that way, than to type it all in... no worries... not gonna go there... Thanks...

RPG

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:

ETA:

"under oath" Requires a notary to be present.

The signature from the police dept. is not "pre-notarized", it's approval from the chief for the purchase.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

RPG wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:

ETA:

"under oath" Requires a notary to be present.

The signature from the police dept. is not "pre-notarized", it's approval from the chief for the purchase.
Ok. So far everyone I've asked has not stood in front of a notary public to sign the permit. Other than Tygereye, of course, who took it upon herself to go to her bank, instead of paying the city. This includes me, my dad, two friends of mine, and possibly springerdave. Anyone else?

jfrenchudm

imported post

In Royal Oak, the person at the counter (if I remember correctly) is a notary, and she signed (as well as sealed) all of mine. I am not much help with the legality of this though.

jwelters

imported post

When I purchased my XD in Oscoda county they had one of the deputies (who was a notory public) take care of the signing part. It was a little convoluted since they actually called him in from the field to take care of it. Reguardless I had to sign it in front of him and the Sherrif. Given the county has a small population. It's ranked #2 for the per capita CPL holders so they seem to do things fairly legitamatly.

sictransitgloria

imported post

Most often, there is someone in the office who is a notary. You might not see them, but I'm pretty sure every police office has at least one notary who takes care of a number of things and is usually working.

tygereye

imported post

Perhaps we ought to start having get together's at various shooting ranges in the area, in addition to our other outings... I for one would go for that!