• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Purchase

tygereye

imported post

Ok, I finally was able to purchase, I have been a member since December, and I purchased my first firearm yesterday!!!! :celebrate:celebrate I live in waterford, and had to go to the waterford PD to get my purchase permit, that was fun... They(the PD department)wanted to charge me $10 to notarize it. I chose to take it to my bank and get it done for free. The bank had never seen such a thing before, they almost didn't do it. The bank finally calledthe PD, to verify what they were notarizing, never mind that I had told them 5 or more times. Either way, got it notarized, and avoided the city making the money on me, that they shouldn't. I went with my brother to a gun shop, and we found quite the little gem of a pistol. I got a S&W 9mm model 39. I have yet to fire it, but I can't wait. Just had to toss it out here!!

conservative85

imported post

Congrats! Now you have the "Keep"(To have)part of the 2nd, now you need to practice the "Bear" (To carry) part.

tygereye

imported post

Thanks everyone, looking forward to "joining the ranks" finally... gotta break in the holster though... there is only one way to do that... :p

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

tygereye wrote:
Ok, I finally was able to purchase, I have been a member since December, and I purchased my first firearm yesterday!!!! :celebrate:celebrate I live in waterford, and had to go to the waterford PD to get my purchase permit, that was fun... They (the PD department)wanted to charge me $10 to notarize it. I chose to take it to my bank and get it done for free. The bank had never seen such a thing before, they almost didn't do it. The bank finally calledthe PD, to verify what they were notarizing, never mind that I had told them 5 or more times. Either way, got it notarized, and avoided the city making the money on me, that they shouldn't. I went with my brother to a gun shop, and we found quite the little gem of a pistol. I got a S&W 9mm model 39. I have yet to fire it, but I can't wait. Just had to toss it out here!!
That is the gun I often OC. I have the 39-2 which is a later model that took care of some feeding problems. It was my Dad's and he bought it in the late 1970's. I like it it, shoots very well.

BTW Isn't this model one of the first 9mm semi-autos made in the US? I also heard some special forces (Green Beret??)used them when it first came out in the '50s. I'll have to do some searching.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_39

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Venator wrote:
tygereye wrote:
Ok, I finally was able to purchase, I have been a member since December, and I purchased my first firearm yesterday!!!! :celebrate:celebrate I live in waterford, and had to go to the waterford PD to get my purchase permit, that was fun... They (the PD department)wanted to charge me $10 to notarize it. I chose to take it to my bank and get it done for free. The bank had never seen such a thing before, they almost didn't do it. The bank finally calledthe PD, to verify what they were notarizing, never mind that I had told them 5 or more times. Either way, got it notarized, and avoided the city making the money on me, that they shouldn't. I went with my brother to a gun shop, and we found quite the little gem of a pistol. I got a S&W 9mm model 39. I have yet to fire it, but I can't wait. Just had to toss it out here!!
That is the gun I often OC. I have the 39-2 which is a later model that took care of some feeding problems. It was my Dad's and he bought it in the late 1970's. I like it it, shoots very well.

BTW Isn't this model one of the first 9mm semi-autos made in the US? I also heard some special forces (Green Beret??)used them when it first came out in the '50s. I'll have to do some searching.
It is one of the first, and it was issued to the armed forces in limited numbers. It was supposed to replace the 1911, but didn't. Hers is the 39-2, also. Apparently, the 39 had a hump on the feed ramp that caused those feed issues, and it was removed in the -2 model. That pistol is really clean.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Congrats tygereye, I have a couple of smiths(wheel guns) myself. I have a CPL so my purchase procedure may vary from yours, so I'm wondering what the notary stuff was about. Maybe someone can help me understand.springerdave.
The salesman said most departments pre-notarize the permits. As soon as he said that, I recalled the signature pre-stamped on all the purchase permits I have gotten from Oakland County. He found it odd that Waterford wants to charge for the notary service. They are probably just looking for more green...

tygereye

imported post

The only thingwe were able to figure out about the notary fee, is that the Oakland County records department purchase permits are already notarized. The Waterford PD charges you for this. The gun shoppersonnel were able to enlightenus on this...

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

As much as I disagree with:
A) Purchase Permits
B) Fees for such
C) Anything that restricts law-abiding citizens from obtaining a firearm..

I have to say.. I can't see how a pre-notarized form could possibly be within the law. A notary is REQUIRED to physically see you, verify your identity and witness you signing the record.

From the Michigan SOS Website:
When a notary public takes a verification on oath or affirmation, or witnesses or attests to a signature, the individual signing the record must do so in the presence of the notary. There is no exception to this requirement.

ghostrider

imported post

Venator wrote:
tygereye wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_39
That is a nice gun. I heard the same thing about them being SF used. I had a chance to handle one at my local. I tried to think of a way of "needing" one, but just couldn't justify the purchase.

Sweet gun. Congrats.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

I know you meant it seriously. I have purchased several handguns in my life, most of the paperwork went through Oakland County. I purchased them legally according to how the county practices the law. Do defendants get in trouble for a lawyer practicing illegally? I would like to think that if it is, in fact, an illegal practice by the county, I would not suffer the consequences. Lots of people bought handguns and had their paperwork processed through that county. That would be an absolute disaster.

I still think it's not funny.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Come to think of it, I don't recall anything in MCL about requiring a notary to witness the signing of a permit. Is that just a practice that these departments have?

ETA:

(4) Applications for licenses under this section shall be signed by the applicant under oath upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police. Licenses to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistols shall be executed in quadruplicate upon forms provided by the director of the department of state police and shall be signed by the licensing authority. Four copies of the license shall be delivered to the applicant by the licensing authority. A license is void unless used within 10 days after the date it is issued.

Nothing about a notary, just that the permit be signed by the licensing department. Is yours signed by Waterford, Tygereye?

tygereye

imported post

wish I could just scan and post it... there is a "signature of Chief or Sheriff, my signature, the notary signature, and the gun shop signature... with all those signatures, I hope I am covered...