• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Summary of TSRA deliberations on open carry from annual meeting

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I went and read the posting and the comments and I'm confused.

So one must ask why anyone would intentionally make a false allegation that "TSRA leaders do not support open carry."
Then he goes on to say that the leadership has not taken, or even discussed taking, a stand to support open carry. Therefore they "do not support" open carry.
So why is the "false allegation" false?

He goes on at great length to state that neither the TSRA nor he himself support open carry.
So why is the allegation false.

Do I have to be a lawyer to understand this convoluted thought process?

NativeTexan

imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
We all know how politics in legislation works. Nobody said anything publicly, but it didn't need to be. While TSRA has the membership numbers over OC, they get to 'rule the roost' so to speak. If we want to compete or take over, we need to raise our membership numbers.

that is all.
You're quite correct in your assessment. You will also need to get people to work in campaigns and be quick to take credit for wins as well as defeats in members districts. When you don't actually have the numbers then act like itand prety soon perception becomes reality. Take credit for wins and defeats whenever and wherever possible. Play their game.

KBCraig

imported post

NativeTexan wrote:
DKSuddeth wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
We all know how politics in legislation works. Nobody said anything publicly, but it didn't need to be. While TSRA has the membership numbers over OC, they get to 'rule the roost' so to speak. If we want to compete or take over, we need to raise our membership numbers.

that is all.
You're quite correct in your assessment. You will also need to get people to work in campaigns and be quick to take credit for wins as well as defeats in members districts. When you don't actually have the numbers then act like itand prety soon perception becomes reality. Take credit for wins and defeats whenever and wherever possible. Play their game.
Just to make it clear, those are DKSuddeth's words being quoted, not mine.

I don't disagree with him, but I didn't write that.

mharper135

imported post

I would appreciate it if anyone has info on the "Houston (area) . . . urban combat tactics training" mentioned in this article. A phone number or web address would be greatly appreciated.

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I've been away for awhile (from the forums & politics of CCvsOC), got my CHL class done, been CCing in the real world after 3 years overseas with no guns what-so-ever. Seeing this article with a completely fresh mind, this isn't entirely true:

While some thought open carry would deter crime, the consensus was that concealed carry is the best option, because criminals won’t know who’s armed.

This is the more likely reason:
Another expressed concern that the “soccer moms” would be upset by seeing holstered handguns,
Folks (pro-gun folks) prefer that the issue of guns anything to be out of sight and out of mind so that it attracts no scrutiny what-so-ever. I've been the recipient of suggestions to "not even bring it up" in order to prevent any attention.

I find that conflicting :?

Of course I'm speaking to the choir here, I know that. Just throwing in my .02 while I cook some lunch

44Brent

imported post

I can't help with this because I don't currently live in Texas, but here's a suggestion:

Start a campaign to take over some leadership positions within the TSRA, and fire their existing lobbyist and President. Citizens can spend their time trying to fight the guys at the helm, but it might be easier to grab control of the helm.

The first person that needs to be fired from the TSRA is their lobbyist, Alice Tripp, as she is openly hostile to OC. Treat them the same way you would other groups who support "reasonable restrictions", AKA the "Brady Bunch".

Let everyone know that Alice Tripp is the "Sarah Brady of TSRA". It could become a new campaign slogan to topple the existing leadership.

orthzar

imported post

44Brent wrote:
I can't help with this because I don't currently live in Texas, but here's a suggestion:

Start a campaign to take over some leadership positions within the TSRA, and fire their existing lobbyist and President. Citizens can spend their time trying to fight the guys at the helm, but it might be easier to grab control of the helm.

The first person that needs to be fired from the TSRA is their lobbyist, Alice Tripp, as she is openly hostile to OC. Treat them the same way you would other groups who support "reasonable restrictions", AKA the "Brady Bunch".

Let everyone know that Alice Tripp is the "Sarah Brady of TSRA". It could become a new campaign slogan to topple the existing leadership.
I second that motion.

Thundar

imported post

Go to the meeting open carrying an Evil Black Rifle. Open carry the rifle everywhere. When asked why, simply state that the State of Texas and the Texas State Rifle Association have not worked hard enough to ensure that I can open carry my handgun, so the rifle will have to do for now.

orthzar

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Go to the meeting open carrying an Evil Black Rifle. Open carry the rifle everywhere. When asked why, simply state that the State of Texas and the Texas State Rifle Association have not worked hard enough to ensure that I can open carry my handgun, so the rifle will have to do for now.
Why not also mention that criminals have no interest in attacking anyone when a gun is in being carried nearby. Plus, the gun bearer doesn't even need any ammo to gain this effect, excluding California of course.

I need to get a dog again, so that I can walk around my neighborhood with my rifle on my back.

This reminds me, I need to get some soft point ammo for my Nagant.

cheers ya'll

rodbender

imported post

Link to my statement on TexasCHL.com

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_Forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=23344&p=276734#p276734

Edit: It appears that Charles wasted no time in deleting my post that criticized his statement that until NRA and TSRA support OC he would not try to advance it, but should they support it, he would "jump in with both feet". Sounds like a sheeple to me.

Edit: And it appears that now I'm banned.

Keith B

imported post

Your post on the TexasCHLForum was a blatant personal attack and not a civilized debate, you even admitted it was done on purposein your subsequent post.

Personal attacks are not allowed on that forum any more than they are onopencarry.org.In depth debates are welcome on the forum, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. However,when you stoop to name calling (which you did) it will not be tolerated. Name calling just lowers your credibility to a childish level.

BTW, Charles was not the one who deleted your posts, it was me.

Keith B

KBCraig

imported post

Keith B wrote:
Your post on the TexasCHLForum was a blatant personal attack and not a civilized debate, you even admitted it was done on purposein your subsequent post.

Personal attacks are not allowed on that forum any more than they are onopencarry.org.In depth debates are welcome on the forum, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. However,when you stoop to name calling (which you did) it will not be tolerated. Name calling just lowers your credibility to a childish level.

BTW, Charles was not the one who deleted your posts, it was me.

Keith B
Keith, I didn't call anyone names on texaschlforum.com, but I was still banned.

"In depth debates" are welcome there, so long as you don't actually challenge anyone's position. Personal attacks are also allowed, so long as they're against someone who doesn't argue for the status quo.

I note that one long-time member has repeatedly insulted HGWC's ability to read, while pointedly ignoring his point that Texas does ban the vast majority of adults from possessing handguns in public.

Keith B

imported post

rodbender, your post(s) have been restored to the forum. And you had NOT been banned, so not sure why you thought you were.

rodbender

imported post

Keith B wrote:
rodbender, your post(s) have been restored to the forum. And you had NOT been banned, so not sure why you thought you were.
I tried to go to the forum and I was not even allowed to read any posts.Was thatreason enough to think I was banned? Had I known that you were so strict on profanity, I would not have even used the light profanity that I did.

tfrazier

imported post

Interesting that you could not even read the topics when anyone can view the forum topics and posts at TexasCHLForum without even logging in. I'd chalk it up to CKIE.