• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPINION: Not banning assault rifles is "such a blatant disregard for human life"

david.ross

imported post

Some people need to go ahead and commit an act of Darwin if they're so stupid as to not do research on what assault rifles are or what the AWB contained.

Who starts their letter with "It"? :uhoh:

http://onlineathens.com/stories/030309/let_400322300.shtml
It disgusts me that a man who frequently makes a point of referring to his medical credentials as U.S. Rep. Paul Broun does could have such a blatant disregard for human life (Story, "Broun blasts talk of new assault-weapons ban," Saturday). To oppose re-instituting the ban on assault weapons is tantamount to sanctioning murder. These weapons are not purchased by any hunter and even were sighted by President Calderon of Mexico as a contributing factor to the escalating drug-related killings in his country. Where is physician Paul Broun's respect for human life?
Does he seriously think the American public can't differentiate between a hunter's rifle and a weapon purposefully designed to kill people? If anyone believes Broun's "slippery slope" logic, then why stop at assault weapons? We should allow the public to purchase anti-tank missiles, biological weapons, even nuclear bombs.
Without the ability of a government to regulate, there is no government - only anarchy.
John Gauld - Watkinsville
In case anyone wants to give him a lesson or correct him:
John D Gauld
1271 Latham Dr
Watkinsville, GA 30677-2094
706-769-2581

If you want to email his wife, she can probably relay responses for him. She works for the University of Georgia.
pgauld@sports.uga.edu (Pam Gauld)

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
These weapons are not purchased by any hunter
Does he seriously think the American public can't differentiate between a hunter's rifle and a weapon purposefully designed to kill people?

Orly? Just because they hunt, who says they can't be interested in other guns?

What's wrong with a weapon designed to kill people? All pistols are designed to kill people. People killing is primarily what guns are for. Why is that a problem? I don't like hunting at all, but I still have guns.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran

beradcee

imported post

Some people do actually use 'assault weapons' for hunting. The only rifle that I own is an SKS and I use it for hunting all through gun season. Bayonet on and everything.

Deanimator

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
insane.kangaroo wrote:
These weapons are not purchased by any hunter
Does he seriously think the American public can't differentiate between a hunter's rifle and a weapon purposefully designed to kill people?

Orly? Just because they hunt, who says they can't be interested in other guns?

What's wrong with a weapon designed to kill people? All pistols are designed to kill people. People killing is primarily what guns are for. Why is that a problem? I don't like hunting at all, but I still have guns.
My High Standard Citation was designed to kill people?

Phssthpok

imported post

Since the earliest inceptions of utilizing gunpowder to hurl a projectile were specifically intended for military operations, it could be said that ALL incarnations of the 'gun' are 'designed specifically to kill people' regardless of their design, shape, or function. The fact that later iterations were designed with other applications in mind (hunting game, and/or target competition) is quite moot.

suntzu

imported post

Having read the tripe that was written about "assault weapons" several things struck me.

First people need to get their heads out of their :cuss:and quit fawning at the feet of the government and figure out exactly what an assault weapon really is...

Second, they need to quit listening to the liberals that make up the brady bunch and stop trying to tell us that "if we just will give up our guns we can be safe".

Third, they need to quit listening to the atty general who is hell bent on selling America out to Mexico.

We do not have assault weapons--we have semi-auto rifles with detachable magazines...no different than any other rifle that we have access to...

these people need to get a :cuss: life.

david.ross

imported post

suntzu wrote:
these people need to get a :cuss: life.
:3 you want to see someone who has no life, see the comments from the poster melmarino at the bottom of the page which is trolling me. I sometimes can't help when tools post, they're just so entertaining at times.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Since the earliest inceptions of utilizing gunpowder to hurl a projectile were specifically intended for military operations, it could be said that ALL incarnations of the 'gun' are 'designed specifically to kill people' regardless of their design, shape, or function. The fact that later iterations were designed with other applications in mind (hunting game, and/or target competition) is quite moot.
Exactly. Apparently that's now a bad thing?

david.ross

imported post

Maybe we should make a gun projectile tickle people to the point they can't do anything then... oh wait we have that already... 9mm :lol:

unreconstructed1

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
Phssthpok wrote:
Exactly. Apparently that's now a bad thing?

If you are the scumbag who breaks into someone's house at 3 in the morning with the intention of bringing harm to someone's family.....

yes.

If you are the father who meets the scumbag in the hallway with a pump action loaded with #4 shot.....

no.

it's all about perception. some folks honestly believe that every life is equally valuable. when that person or their family becomes the victim of a violent crime, their perceptions change.

difference is, we were intelligent enough to see the truth WITHOUT a life changing event.

david.ross

imported post

Sadly Sir,

I've spoken to people not only in the AU but in the US which have made a statement like such:

"If I'm injured or killed, I'll be doing my part because I wasn't armed.

or

"I'm doing the right thing by not being armed, if the guy has a gun then he will be punished after I'm dead"

I mention the fact many get away because of illegal/imported guns and their killer won't get caught. The person blows up and puts me on ignore.

Those of which also tell me they know martial arts and will kick their arse. Others will tel me they'll use a metal pipe. All of them will refute logic when I tell them the criminal will shoot them before they even get such a chance, and most likely kill them afterward anyway since they'll be able to identify the criminal.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
Sadly Sir,

I've spoken to people not only in the AU but in the US which have made a statement like such:

"If I'm injured or killed, I'll be doing my part because I wasn't armed.

or

"I'm doing the right thing by not being armed, if the guy has a gun then he will be punished after I'm dead"

Please tell me you're joking. As realistic as I try to be about peoples' stupidity, I find it hard to believe anyone is really that dumb.

EDIT:

Oh wait, you're the anime guy. In that case I have no problem believing that the people you E-associate with are that stupid.

HPC9

imported post

Lets play the "Is this an Assault Rifle?" Game!

A Ruger 10/22 is a .22 caliber rifle with a detachable magazine. It is one of the most common rifles out there and it has many aftermarket parts that in no way affect the action of the gun. (how the gun fires)

Learn more about .22 caliber here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22

Is this Ruger 10/22 an Assault Rifle?

Are these Ruger 10/22s Assault Rifles?

Remember all of the rifles pictured above are the same Ruger 10/22 .22 caliber rifle with a detachable magazine put into a different stock. They all work exactly the same they just look different.

So now can you tell the difference between a "Normal" rifle and an "Assault" rifle?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

You don't happen to know if the converstion on that last one is custom or if I can buy it, do you? The ones in the second to last pic look like a lot of fun too.

unreconstructed1

imported post

I like the tommy gun replica stock and the krinkov stock the best...

but there's just something about a bullpup design that gets me every time...