• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Prompted response to LEO's

Sonora Rebel

imported post

My favorite 'tale'... is arriving as back-up a full ten minutes before the post officer... outside of my own sector even. (I was comin' back from the 'property' room downtown 'n about 100 yards from the scene of the 'call') It was a bar fight in the B&O Bar. I arrested everybody in the joint includin' the bartender... Amazin' how much attention you can get by slammin' yer 3.5# rosewood nightstick on the bar a few times 'n yellin' "EVERYBODY UP AGAINST THE F#@%^ Wall... NOW!" 'Always wanted to do that... :cool:

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There was a time in this country, when law men were actually men. I do not mean that in a sexist way, as I know a lot of women that have the same "moxie" as any man here. Even a few who are reading these words. It was not all that long ago either. But this started to change in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

Back then If you wanted to serve a warrant you and maybe one other guy walked up to the door, knocked, and served the warrant. If there was trouble, you handled it. Now we send in 25 or 30 guys armed to the teeth, wearing black "Ninja" suits and face masks, They kick in the door, shoot anything that barks or breaths and arrest whatever is left alive. That is not what I signed up for, and I will not participate in that crap.

The result is that in my view many departments are now no better than armed gangs themselves. In my experience every department has a mixed bag of folks. Just as in society at large there are very good ones, very bad ones, and a lot of normal folks in the middle. But we need to return to a time where we screened the new hires better, and taught them how to do law enforcement. The "Matt Dillon" complex is alive and well in a lot of places, and it is hurting us all.

suntzu

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
There was a time in this country, when law men were actually men. I do not mean that in a sexist way, as I know a lot of women that have the same "moxie" as any man here. Even a few who are reading these words. It was not all that long ago either. But this started to change in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

Back then If you wanted to serve a warrant you and maybe one other guy walked up to the door, knocked, and served the warrant. If there was trouble, you handled it. Now we send in 25 or 30 guys armed to the teeth, wearing black "Ninja" suits and face masks, They kick in the door, shoot anything that barks or breaths and arrest whatever is left alive. That is not what I signed up for, and I will not participate in that crap.

The result is that in my view many departments are now no better than armed gangs themselves. In my experience every department has a mixed bag of folks. Just as in society at large there are very good ones, very bad ones, and a lot of normal folks in the middle. But we need to return to a time where we screened the new hires better, and taught them how to do law enforcement. The "Matt Dillon" complex is alive and well in a lot of places, and it is hurting us all.
and now the police most of the time act worse than the people they arrest/investigate.

unfortunately it is next to impossible to trust any of them anymore.

Men in general need to get back to actually acting like men instead of acting like a group of pansies. LEOs need to quit mistreating the people and get back to actually respecting the Constitution instead of constantly trying to figure out ways around it...

KBCraig

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:

The result is that in my view many departments are now no better than armed gangs themselves.

Whether it's life immitating art or vice versa, about 30 years ago action movies changed dramatically. All of a sudden the only difference between the "good" guys and the bad guys, was which team they were on. The bad guy torturing an innocent victim was booed, but the "good" guy cop torturing someone for information was cheered.

Bad guys randomly shooting up a neighboord was bad and upsetting; good guys doing the same in return was heroic and exciting.

These days I think the new breed of cop imitates Hollywood instead of the other way around.