• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any Group Activities in Tri-Cities?

911bad

imported post

I recently moved into the Tri-Cities. I've been peeking in on the forum fora long time now and this is my first post. Is there any activities planned in the near future for my area? I would love to do a lunch-in or something. We need to make sure the police in this area are up to speed on our growing group and the laws that protect our interests.

Riverdog

imported post

I don't know about activities, per se, but I'm always up for grabbing some lunch.

In my limited experiences with the police in the Tri-Cities, I've never had a cop give me a second look while OC.

cynicist

imported post

This may be an overgeneralization, but with a few exceptions (Ellensburg) I wouldn't expect much trouble with the police for OCing east of the mountains.

cynicist

imported post

I got a membership for an outdoor range in Prosser, and I can bring guests, for free of course. (LEO have priority use Mon-Wed:cry:)

Tekman

imported post

If anyone is interested in PR I believe there is a local farm where the owner lets people shoot but folks have left a mess behind. I saw it on a online news story but bugger if I can find it now. We could go meet and do a cleanup. I even know a newscaster who might cover it.

Anyone's Google-fu better then mine?

I *think* it was B&B ranch/farm

just_a_car

imported post

Tekman wrote:
If anyone is interested in PR I believe there is a local farm where the owner lets people shoot but folks have left a mess behind. I saw it on a online news story but bugger if I can find it now. We could go meet and do a cleanup. I even know a newscaster who might cover it.

Anyone's Google-fu better then mine?

I *think* it was B&B ranch/farm
You probably saw your fellow OCDO'ers Dave the Welder, steelcoreap, and myself (in the background on one shot) in the story referenced here back in mid-June: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=12015

;)

just_a_car

imported post

Well, if we coordinate it with Dave, we could probably make it part of the 2009 Summer Shootout he holds. We could also probably get the journalist that filmed us to come out and either do the story or participate (or both, like last time)... and, of course, having cute girls shoot guns is always a bonus. :cool:

And as for making it look really good, that just ain't gunna happen. I'm not sure you realize how immense that area is. Take a look at the pictures and videos of the range I took when out there: http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c260/just_a_car/Shootout2008/ and realize that that's only one of a couple/few areas that are littered with stuff.

steelcoreap (seen in the photos there and shooting alongside Dave in the news video) laser-rangefinder'd a 3'x3' white piece of something halfway up that hill from where we were and it came in as 432 yards. That large dark thing halfway between the firing line and the hill in the third picture is an overturned car; a caddy or similar, if I remember correctly.

Also, there's A LOT of broken glass out there with the shotgun shells, brass cases, steel cases, and random junk. I know, I had my camo BDU pants ruined by sitting on some and having a large tear in the backside of them.

edit: typo.

2nd edit: Forgot to mention, at the end of the last day of our 2008 Summer Shootout, we went through the areas we shot and picked up all the brass cases we could find, since Dave and steelcoreap reload and we felt it was the responsible thing to do. We packed out at least 50% more brass than we shot, even though we didn't find all the brass we shot.

just_a_car

imported post

Tekman wrote:
Yeah I'm familiar with the area. In fact I live about 5 miles away. Best we can do is one area at a time.
Yup. The only way that car is getting out of there is to either get a flatbed (expensive) or a torch and take it out in parts. I also forgot to mention the many tires out there. *chuckle*

Honestly, if we took all the brass, steel and rubber to a recycling/scrap-metal plant, we could probably make quite a pretty penny. ;)

Tekman

imported post

Pacific Salvage is in fact on the road (397) headed out that way. Hell I turned in some trashed aluminum doors and got $40.