• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The response from the Richmond Coliseum

vbnative73

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
DHCruiser wrote:
So if the city of Richmond is the owner, that means they have to remove that portion of their rules or, at the least, they can't enforce it. Correct?
that would be my understanding
I thought the Richmond Coliseum was owned by the Richmond Redevelopment and Housing Authority ( a quasi-government entity created by the City.)

So were you thinking: "If its city propety then the statewide pre-emption laws "kick in" and therefore, they can't prohibit lawful carry."

I'm thinking the same thing, but, just like the City leases their parks to event promoters to conduct fairs, festivals and concerts, the tenant then imposes the restriction.

I see clearly the conflict. On one hand a tenant can impose a restriction on the property they rent. On the other hand, the tenant should not be allowed to impose a restriction that is otherwise lawful on property owned by the people.

Hiding behind the "ownership" of the Richmond Redevelopment and Housing Authority shouldn't work. And as of last month, there is case law to argue. (ie. City of Norfolk v. Danladi Moore)

Wouldn't the Richmond Coliseum fall into the same arguement that was made for Waterside?

C

ccloud43

imported post

IANAL but i dont think that the Richmond Coliseum/Norfolk Scope or Hampton Coliseum would be classified as a club or resturantby definition of Va Law.

18.2-308 says:
J3. No person shall carry a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club as defined in § 4.1-100 for which a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption has been granted by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Board under Title 4.1 of the Code of Virginia; however, nothing herein shall prohibit any sworn law-enforcement officer from carrying a concealed handgun on the premises of such restaurant or club or any owner or event sponsor or his employees from carrying a concealed handgun while on duty at such restaurant or club if such person has a concealed handgun permit.
4.1-100:

"Club" means any private nonprofit corporation or association which is the owner, lessee, or occupant of an establishment operated solely for a national, social, patriotic, political, athletic, or other like purpose, but not for pecuniary gain, the advantages of which belong to all of the members. It also means the establishment so operated. A corporation or association shall not lose its status as a club because of the conduct of charitable gaming conducted pursuant to Article 1.1:1 (§ 18.2-340.15 et seq.) of Chapter 8 of Title 18.2 in which nonmembers participate frequently or in large numbers, provided that no alcoholic beverages are served or consumed in the room where such charitable gaming is being conducted while such gaming is being conducted and that no alcoholic beverages are made available upon the premises to any person who is neither a member nor a bona fide guest of a member.

"Restaurant" means, for a beer, or wine and beer license, any establishment provided with special space and accommodation, where, in consideration of payment, meals or other foods prepared on the premises are regularly sold.

"Restaurant" means, for a mixed beverage license, an established place of business (i) where meals with substantial entrees are regularly sold and (ii) which has adequate facilities and sufficient employees for cooking, preparing, and serving such meals for consumption at tables in dining areas on the premises, and includes establishments specializing in full course meals with a single substantial entree.
I know it petains to CC. but would i be wrong to think I could not at least CC there?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Pagan wrote:
would this apply to the Hampton Coliseum I wonder? or Norfolk scope.
IMO - sure would & at various "festivals" held in city parks throughout the state.

Yata hey

hsmith

imported post

I really don't even see how shops at Waterside could ban firearms, it is STILL government property and they can't abdicate the laws.

Even if the stadium is "rented out" to a private company, it being rented/leased does not "get around" preemption.

Neplusultra

imported post

hsmith wrote:
I really don't even see how shops at Waterside could ban firearms, it is STILL government property and they can't abdicate the laws.

Even if the stadium is "rented out" to a private company, it being rented/leased does not "get around" preemption.
Good point. Anymore than a college could but making up it's own rules.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've gone to my email archive and dug out the last email from Team Cuccinelli I've received on the subject. The tentative answer at that time (June 08) was:

"We got your email about open carrying at next year's convention. We are assuming that it will be fine, but we are checking with some folks now who might know the answer for sure. We'll get back to you as soon as we know. "

I've retickled the subject and indicated we have a few delegates here who'd like to know for sure, both at the Coliseum during party business, and at the Richmond Marriott for the functions. I told them I would post in the forum here for all concerned OC delegates to get the official word as passed down. I will do that as soon as I receive their new response.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From Meredith Quillen, of Senator Cuccinilli's campaign for AG:

" just talked to Ken about this. Apparently, an employee of the Repulican Party of VA told Ken and some employees of the NRA that he doesn't think it's a problem for folks to open carry at the convention.

So given that it's our right, anyone who chooses to open carry should.

Thanks for checking back with me.
Meredith "

That's official enough for me. See you all there!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've been doing some quiet research and communication with various parts of the Republican Party of Virginia about the Coliseum and the upcoming convention.

The Coliseum is a part of the Richmond City Department of Parks and Recreaction, which has hired a property management company instead of staffing it with City workers. As was the casae with Waterside, the property management company has created "rules" for the venue, and apparently has not consulted with Parks & Recs or the City Attorney regarding the legality of those rules.

It appears (meaning I have not completed my research) that funding for the Coliseum was provided by Richmond Housing & Redevelopment Authority, just as was done for Waterside.

While I am not the attorney of record for anybody intersted in this issue, my very biased opinion is that the same rules apply to the Richmond Coliseum as apply to Waterside. There are several other folks who have either independently or collectively arrived at the same conclusiuon. That may or may not be as good as relying on "an employee of the Repulican Party of VA" who "told Ken and some employees of the NRA" that he [the RPV employee] "doesn't think it's a problem for folks to open carry at the convention."

I was at one time considering OCing one of my smaller pistols, but am now thinking that the big N-frame with the mammoth-ivory grips (yes, a BBQ gun) may be in order. The only question I still have is: "Does the black cane or the natural oak one go best with mammoth ivory?"

stay safe.

skidmark

Marco

imported post

skidmark wrote:
The only question I still have is: "Does the black cane or the natural oak one go best with mammoth ivory?"

stay safe.

skidmark
You're oldenough to remember the song, "Ebony and Ivory"aren't you?:D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

skidmark wrote:
snip........ The only question I still have is: "Does the black cane or the natural oak one go best with mammoth ivory?"

stay safe.

skidmark
I would think something stylish and elegant for a gentleman such as yourself. Perhaps your epee cane would be suitable - not too garish and an interesting meld of form and function.

Either that or a nice Taiji cane or quarter staff.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

While there is no desire on my part to provoke an incident, there is also the recognition that this time/place/event is not the time to hide our rights in a closet.

OC a BBQ gun? Maybe, it is a dress up a bit time. Maybe my purdy .40 cal in burnished leather that matches the polished wood grips.

OC a 1911 - why not? I do almost every other day.

OC a small, discrete gun? I can't - I don't own one.

CC? Possibly but I don't think so at this time.

Primary goal is to influence the right choices at the convention and promote positive 2nd Amendment planks.

Yata hey