Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liberty University to stay gun free

Post imported post

http://www.newsadvance.com/lna/news/..._decide/13998/

Published: March 3, 2009
    Liberty University’s board of trustees decided today to continue to not allow people with concealed handgun permits to carry weapons on campus.
    Liberty Chancellor Jerry Falwell Jr. brought the matter to the board for discussion after members of the school’s chapter of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus requested that the university consider a change in its policy.
    After a meeting today, Falwell said the board of trustees had an “engaged” discussion on the matter but ultimately decided to keep the schools current rules that do not allow guns on campus, even by concealed carry permit holders.
    “The biggest concern was, I think, 21-year-old permit holders,” Falwell. “If they live in the dorm, they (would) still have to keep the gun in the dorm, and the chances of it falling into the wrong hands was a concern of the board members.”
    “The feeling was that, unlike most private-property owners, we have our own police force. So the decision was made, since crime has not really been a problem at LU, not to make any changes to the policy at this time.”
    The board of trustees has 38 members, including Falwell and his brother Jonathan, pastor of Thomas Road Baptist Church.
    Utah is the only state that does not allow any of its nine public universities to restrict people from carry-ing concealed weapons on campus.
    For more on this story, check back with NewsAdvance.com or see Wednesday’s edition of The News & Advance.

Centurion

Post imported post

Simple - disallow it for dorm students, but allow carry for everyone else.

Post imported post

VCDL President wrote:
    Simple - disallow it for dorm students, but allow carry for everyone else.
    My thoughts exactly.

Post imported post

FYI I have been on the campus many times. I have never seen any signage one way or the other.

Post imported post

I'm willing to bet that of their 21 year old students, only a tiny few have licenses. Probably only a tiny few of those live in a dorm. And the tiny chance that the guns of the "tiny few of the tiny few" would "fall into the wrong hands" is approaching an infinitesimal reduction.

But just to be safe, Liberty will continue to disarm a 36 year old graduate student who commutes from a less-than-safe neighborhood.

Post imported post

VCDL President wrote:
    Simple - disallow it for dorm students, but allow carry for everyone else
    more students would opt to live off campus. not good for the university money wise...

it's all about the money...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Edited until the school actually comes to a decision rather than a postponement of decision as incorrectly characterized by the local "news" agencies.

* If the prohibition against student carry remains, then this policy that students must be unarmedwould beso detestable from my perspective and so incongruent with the respect to innocent human life, Liberty may as well start offering a student sponsored abortion clinic for its students just to stay consistent with its respect of innocent human life.

Post imported post

Edited to remove comment until the truth of the matter comes out

Centurion

Post imported post

hlh wrote:
    My daughter attends Liberty and just told me about this. I'm disappointed. I CC on their campus often, and will continue to do so. I just wish they gave this privilege to their defenseless students.
    Unlike public universities, they could charge you with trespass for CC'ing if it is against their policies (and they find out, ask you to leave, and you refuse).

Post imported post

Liberty University gun control policy.

They should be legally obligated to change the name of the university to something like "Liberal ********* University" or "Crime Spree State".

Both are catchy and more accurately represent the interests of the controlling interests.

Absent, obviously, are student safety and welfare.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

At least they considered it. To my knowledge Tech has never taken it even that far, and they're a state funded public school.

Post imported post

Apparently all is not as it seems.

Got this today via the Students for Concealed Carry at Liberty University Facebook group

I have been in contact with Chancellor Falwell and it seems that the first bit of news I got was overstated. The media, especially the somewhat anti-gun Lynchburg News and Advance, would like to paint this as a defeat, but it's simply a postponement.

The board decided not to take a vote during yesterday's meeting and the Chancellor assures me that they will be meeting again soon. I will be meeting with him personally and will have even more information soon. He also told me that the Board members are very supportive of 2nd Amendment rights.

In light of the more accurate information I think we should actually be thankful. The board decided not to make a rash decision are taking time to fully consider the issue. We should all be grateful that we have leadership that does not make important changes on a whim and instead is interested making fully informed decisions.

Clint Armstrong
    Students for Concealed Carry on Campus -- Campus Leader
    If this is true, it would seem that the local media is being very disingenuous in their reporting on this topic.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

VCDL Pres. to trespass someone who is a non-student or non-faculty wouldn't Liberty be obliged to provide some sort of notification? In the few times that I have been to anything associated with the school I have never seen a notification of prohibition. Heck, I open carry up there occasionally (even yesterday) and saw no notifications and not a word was said.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Thank you essayons, this is far better news than that reported.

Centurion

Post imported post

jmelvin wrote:
    VCDL Pres. to trespass someone who is a non-student or non-faculty wouldn't Liberty be obliged to provide some sort of notification? In the few times that I have been to anything associated with the school I have never seen a notification of prohibition. Heck, I open carry up there occasionally (even yesterday) and saw no notifications and not a word was said.
    yes - as I state above, if they asked you to leave because of the gun and you refuse, then trespass kicks in.

Post imported post

essayons wrote:
    Apparently all is not as it seems.

Got this today via the Students for Concealed Carry at Liberty University Facebook group

I have been in contact with Chancellor Falwell and it seems that the first bit of news I got was overstated. The media, especially the somewhat anti-gun Lynchburg News and Advance, would like to paint this as a defeat, but it's simply a postponement.

The board decided not to take a vote during yesterday's meeting and the Chancellor assures me that they will be meeting again soon. I will be meeting with him personally and will have even more information soon. He also told me that the Board members are very supportive of 2nd Amendment rights.

In light of the more accurate information I think we should actually be thankful. The board decided not to make a rash decision are taking time to fully consider the issue. We should all be grateful that we have leadership that does not make important changes on a whim and instead is interested making fully informed decisions.

Clint Armstrong
    Students for Concealed Carry on Campus -- Campus Leader
    If this is true, it would seem that the local media is being very disingenuous in their reporting on this topic.
    The media being disingenuous.... say it isn't so.

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I think they are being real stupid about this. I'm an alumni, so I'll have to write them a note.

Post imported post

packingdressagerider wrote:
    I think they are being real stupid about this. I'm an alumni, so I'll have to write them a note.
    Make it simple for them: No Guns, No Alumni money!

TFred

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

What is absolutely shameful is that WSET (local ABC station) reported last night that some poll they ran showed that only 21% of those polled believed students should be "allowed" to carry a firearm on campus. I looked at WSET's site and saw no link to said poll.

Post imported post

One can only hope they will make the right decision.

Otherwise the entire name of their university becomes a lie.

Post imported post

Skeptic wrote:
    Exactly... and as I alluded earlier in the thread, I believe.

TFred wrote:
    Well said. Simple, but gets the point across.

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    Skeptic wrote:
    Exactly... and as I alluded earlier in the thread, I believe.

TFred wrote:
    Well said. Simple, but gets the point across.
    I recognize that Av from elsewhere.

Post imported post

Are they changing thier name to: Liberty University Not!

Post imported post

Skeptic wrote:
    Do you now? And your handle appears as an abbreviation of another that I know.

From "elsewhere".

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    Skeptic wrote:
    Do you now? And your handle appears as an abbreviation of another that I know.

From "elsewhere".
    Surely a coincidence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast