• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Liberty University to stay gun free

kenny

imported post

http://www.newsadvance.com/lna/news...rsity_to_stay_gun_free_trustees_decide/13998/

Published: March 3, 2009
Liberty University’s board of trustees decided today to continue to not allow people with concealed handgun permits to carry weapons on campus.
Liberty Chancellor Jerry Falwell Jr. brought the matter to the board for discussion after members of the school’s chapter of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus requested that the university consider a change in its policy.
After a meeting today, Falwell said the board of trustees had an “engaged” discussion on the matter but ultimately decided to keep the schools current rules that do not allow guns on campus, even by concealed carry permit holders.
“The biggest concern was, I think, 21-year-old permit holders,” Falwell. “If they live in the dorm, they (would) still have to keep the gun in the dorm, and the chances of it falling into the wrong hands was a concern of the board members.”
“The feeling was that, unlike most private-property owners, we have our own police force. So the decision was made, since crime has not really been a problem at LU, not to make any changes to the policy at this time.”
The board of trustees has 38 members, including Falwell and his brother Jonathan, pastor of Thomas Road Baptist Church.
Utah is the only state that does not allow any of its nine public universities to restrict people from carry-ing concealed weapons on campus.
For more on this story, check back with NewsAdvance.com or see Wednesday’s edition of The News & Advance.

KBCraig

imported post

I'm willing to bet that of their 21 year old students, only a tiny few have licenses. Probably only a tiny few of those live in a dorm. And the tiny chance that the guns of the "tiny few of the tiny few" would "fall into the wrong hands" is approaching an infinitesimal reduction.

But just to be safe, Liberty will continue to disarm a 36 year old graduate student who commutes from a less-than-safe neighborhood. :banghead:

tsannicolas

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
Simple - disallow it for dorm students, but allow carry for everyone else
more students would opt to live off campus. not good for the university money wise...

it's all about the money...

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Edited until the school actually comes to a decision rather than a postponement of decision as incorrectly characterized by the local "news" agencies.

* If the prohibition against student carry remains, then this policy that students must be unarmedwould beso detestable from my perspective and so incongruent with the respect to innocent human life, Liberty may as well start offering a student sponsored abortion clinic for its students just to stay consistent with its respect of innocent human life.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

hlh wrote:
My daughter attends Liberty and just told me about this. I'm disappointed. I CC on their campus often, and will continue to do so. I just wish they gave this privilege to their defenseless students.
Unlike public universities, they could charge you with trespass for CC'ing if it is against their policies (and they find out, ask you to leave, and you refuse).

wylde007

imported post

Liberty University gun control policy.

They should be legally obligated to change the name of the university to something like "Liberal Douchebag University" or "Crime Spree State".

Both are catchy and more accurately represent the interests of the controlling interests.

Absent, obviously, are student safety and welfare.

essayons

imported post

Apparently all is not as it seems.

Got this today via the Students for Concealed Carry at Liberty University Facebook group

I have been in contact with Chancellor Falwell and it seems that the first bit of news I got was overstated. The media, especially the somewhat anti-gun Lynchburg News and Advance, would like to paint this as a defeat, but it's simply a postponement.

The board decided not to take a vote during yesterday's meeting and the Chancellor assures me that they will be meeting again soon. I will be meeting with him personally and will have even more information soon. He also told me that the Board members are very supportive of 2nd Amendment rights.

In light of the more accurate information I think we should actually be thankful. The board decided not to make a rash decision are taking time to fully consider the issue. We should all be grateful that we have leadership that does not make important changes on a whim and instead is interested making fully informed decisions.

Clint Armstrong
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus -- Campus Leader

If this is true, it would seem that the local media is being very disingenuous in their reporting on this topic.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

VCDL Pres. to trespass someone who is a non-student or non-faculty wouldn't Liberty be obliged to provide some sort of notification? In the few times that I have been to anything associated with the school I have never seen a notification of prohibition. Heck, I open carry up there occasionally (even yesterday) and saw no notifications and not a word was said.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
VCDL Pres. to trespass someone who is a non-student or non-faculty wouldn't Liberty be obliged to provide some sort of notification? In the few times that I have been to anything associated with the school I have never seen a notification of prohibition. Heck, I open carry up there occasionally (even yesterday) and saw no notifications and not a word was said.
yes - as I state above, if they asked you to leave because of the gun and you refuse, then trespass kicks in.

darthmord

imported post

essayons wrote:
Apparently all is not as it seems.

Got this today via the Students for Concealed Carry at Liberty University Facebook group

I have been in contact with Chancellor Falwell and it seems that the first bit of news I got was overstated. The media, especially the somewhat anti-gun Lynchburg News and Advance, would like to paint this as a defeat, but it's simply a postponement.

The board decided not to take a vote during yesterday's meeting and the Chancellor assures me that they will be meeting again soon. I will be meeting with him personally and will have even more information soon. He also told me that the Board members are very supportive of 2nd Amendment rights.

In light of the more accurate information I think we should actually be thankful. The board decided not to make a rash decision are taking time to fully consider the issue. We should all be grateful that we have leadership that does not make important changes on a whim and instead is interested making fully informed decisions.

Clint Armstrong
Students for Concealed Carry on Campus -- Campus Leader

If this is true, it would seem that the local media is being very disingenuous in their reporting on this topic.
The media being disingenuous.... say it isn't so.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

What is absolutely shameful is that WSET (local ABC station) reported last night that some poll they ran showed that only 21% of those polled believed students should be "allowed" to carry a firearm on campus. I looked at WSET's site and saw no link to said poll.