Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: New to open carry.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mat-Su, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    Watson here. I'm 18, Been a Paratrooper in the Alaska National Guard since October 3rd, 2007. I just recently bought a Glock 17 through a private sale and carry it openly in an Uncle Mikes LEO hip holster in the Mat-Su area. I even called the Palmer Police Commander to ask if it was all A-ok, He explained all the obvious things like where I cannot carry etc and how I should always tell an Officer I am carrying if pulled over etc and said it was all completely legal He did mention citizens that aren't used to seeing guns on civilians might notify a police officer and that I might get checked on, But nothing to worry about. Thats fine with me, Part of my purpouse of carrying is to try and get rid of the stigma that only bad guys and police officers can carry guns. When people ask, I educate. My Glock is one less on the streets and in a law abiding soldiers hands. Have a nice day.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska, USA
    Posts
    1,224

    Post imported post

    DokWatson wrote:
    Watson here. I'm 18, Been a Paratrooper in the Alaska National Guard since October 3rd, 2007. I just recently bought a Glock 17 through a private sale and carry it openly in an Uncle Mikes LEO hip holster in the Mat-Su area. I even called the Palmer Police Commander to ask if it was all A-ok, He explained all the obvious things like where I cannot carry etc and how I should always tell an Officer I am carrying if pulled over etc and said it was all completely legal He did mention citizens that aren't used to seeing guns on civilians might notify a police officer and that I might get checked on, But nothing to worry about. Thats fine with me, Part of my purpouse of carrying is to try and get rid of the stigma that only bad guys and police officers can carry guns. When people ask, I educate. My Glock is one less on the streets and in a law abiding soldiers hands. Have a nice day.
    Welcome to the forum Watson and thanks for your service. Always nice to have another Alaskan open carrier to add to the team. One thing I would caution you against is that you should always remember that the Police (even Police Commanders) are not lawyers and some of what they have to say should be taken with a grain of salt.

    I say this because I have read on this one andsome other forums where citizens were hassled, detained, and in a few cases, arrested by the Palmer police and other police unitsbecause they are enforcing laws and regulations that are now moot thanks to Municipal Preemption.

    I have also witnessed gun shop workers and safety instructors provide incorrect and frankly distrubing information and make anti-open carry statements.

    Again, welcome to the club, I look forward to seeing you around.
    Peace through superior firepower

    Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mat-Su, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    I find that disturbing, Do they not know the state laws? Did these people you are talking about get off with an apology? That is completely ridiculous... I did a lot of research before I even asked the PPD Commander, He backed up exactly what I have read in the state laws.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska, USA
    Posts
    1,224

    Post imported post

    DokWatson wrote:
    I find that disturbing, Do they not know the state laws? Did these people you are talking about get off with an apology? That is completely ridiculous... I did a lot of research before I even asked the PPD Commander, He backed up exactly what I have read in the state laws.
    If that's the case, it is somewhat reassuring but perhaps he should make sure his fellow officers in the field are so versed in our states' laws. Typically, laws change frequentlyand it is always difficult for officers to know all the laws and there are a lot of things for them to have to worry about. One of the scenarios I am speaking of costed the victim a few thousand dollars in lawyer fees before he got off because the officer didn't show up for court.

    It was for open carrying in Wasilla or Palmer, I can't remember which and itwas two years ago.

    Anyway, it doesn't deter me, nor should it. I follow the laws andI am well versed in the laws. I suspect that they are just a few bad apples out there and it makes everyone look bad. Don't let it stop you from exercising your fundamental liberties. Carry on and stay safe.
    Peace through superior firepower

    Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mat-Su, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    Wow, That is messed up. I certainly can't afford our LEO not doing their job right... Makes me nervous going out into public with my firearm, I shouldn't have to fear our own LEO. I don't like the sound of that scenario at all.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska, USA
    Posts
    1,224

    Post imported post

    DokWatson wrote:
    Wow, That is messed up. I certainly can't afford our LEO not doing their job right... Makes me nervous going out into public with my firearm, I shouldn't have to fear our own LEO. I don't like the sound of that scenario at all.
    Dok, it is certainly not my intention to alarm you into not carrying as that defeats the purpose of this web site and is not something I believe in or propose. I was just trying to inform you to not fret about the nay-sayers and be aware of the laws and stay informed. We have very little firearm law issues in our great state. I just try to make sure that everyone knows about it.

    Sometimes, officers and others make mistakes and it is our job to make sure they are informed. That shouldn't happen but it doesand it is unortunate. Frankly, I am more disturbed by fellow carriers that don't believe in carrying openly, to be honest.

    Please don't let me cause you to not carry. I just have a philosophy of not asking legal advice from police, gun shop employees, or instructors. I am perfectly capable of looking up the laws myself, or at worst, contacting a lawyer or writing the administration. I am proactive and I write my legislators and I always recommend that everyone else do the same.

    Carry on.. There are others that frequent this site that are around 18 as well, so they can alsooffer theirexperiences.
    Peace through superior firepower

    Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    Welcome to opencarry.org, glad to see we are growing here in the Alaska section. As Flintlock mentioned, don't let the negative stereotypes deter you from carrying. Even open carry is better than not carrying at all IMO. Just think of all stuff African American individuals had to go through during the civil rights movement. They were arrested, detained, and sometimes beaten by police for standing up for what they thought was right. If we do not do the same, our rights will be stripped away. If you are ever stopped by an officer for OCing, only thing you can do is comply with their orders and take it up with the chief of police later. I've never been stopped be LEO for OCing, but have had a couple negative encounters. For the most part though nobody cares.

    Open carry does have its risks, but I think the benefits outweigh them. Anyway, again welcome!

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887

    Post imported post

    DokWatson wrote:
    ... I certainly can't afford our LEO not doing their job right... Makes me nervous going out into public with my firearm, I shouldn't have to fear our own LEO. I don't like the sound of that scenario at all.
    I certainly agree with Flintlock's answer.

    Don't be discouraged, but do be aware and informed.

    You will find, if you haven't already, that the expectation is for YOU to know the law - LEO's are not generally held to the same standard - even though it's not right.

    As I tell people of any age - OC, but do so with your eyes open, physically and mentally.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mat-Su, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    Very good points made. I certainly know the law or I wouldn't carry. I tried something new today, I wore a polo shirt tucked in with some khaki cargo type pants... I think that and my clean cut Military appearance gets a different reaction from people... I don't look like I don't need to be carrying a gun... I look professional and people don't take as much notice... And that's important IMO. I am starting to get more comfortable with my gun on me in public. Its certainly a different feeling... I'm used to carrying a weapon in a platoon of soldiers far away from civilians :P

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    That is good you are making it a point to dress neatly. It's all about how you handle yourself in public while open carrying. BTW I saw you mentioned you carry a Glock 17, what an excellent pistol! I usually carry a Glock 19 but it gets concealed 90% of the time due to the cold winter. It is difficult to find a way to OC with a coat on.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mat-Su, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    I usually just keep a jacket in the truck but go without it to avoid CC accidently. I wear a t-shirt under my polo and it keeps me pretty warm. If I get too cold I un-holster it in my truck and just wear my jacket in there then take it off and grab my gun if I gotta walk into a building etc. It definitely be much easier in the summer time.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    37

    Post imported post

    DokWatson wrote:
    I usually just keep a jacket in the truck but go without it to avoid CC accidently.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it legal to CC without a permit in Alaska?

    I know that Alaska issues permits, which is useful for traveling outside of Alaska.

    Damn, I REALLY want to move to Alaska, It is the only state that sounds like the Texas that I thought I grew up in.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska, USA
    Posts
    1,224

    Post imported post

    orthzar wrote:
    DokWatson wrote:
    I usually just keep a jacket in the truck but go without it to avoid CC accidently.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it legal to CC without a permit in Alaska?

    I know that Alaska issues permits, which is useful for traveling outside of Alaska.

    Damn, I REALLY want to move to Alaska, It is the only state that sounds like the Texas that I thought I grew up in.
    Correct. You can carry openly or concealed with orwithout a permit in Alaska.
    Peace through superior firepower

    Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    240

    Post imported post

    The OP is 18 so he cannot carry concealed and cannot apply for a permit.

  15. #15
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Post imported post

    I carry a voice recorder that has the ability to record 40 hrs of hi quality stereo audio. It rides in my breast pocket and is on whenever I am off of my property OCing. That way there will be no question about what was said!! BY me or the Officer. Or by another citizen!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Payson, Utah, USA
    Posts
    1,146

    Post imported post

    ok so OC in alaska IS legal at 18! good! my dad lived in alaska when he was a kid, its my favorite state in the union (utah being 2nd favorite ofcorse!) and sarah palin KICKS ASS! if i knew i could get a good job out there, i would move out in a heartbeat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •