• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC instigated encounter ?

Do you think AR Magazine purposely took a jab at the OC movement?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dustin

imported post

When a 37-year-old man started to unload items from his car, two men approached and jabbed what he believed to be a gun into his side. Fearing he was about to be shot, the man, who is reportedly an open carry advocate, drew his 9mm handgun and fired a round. He was unsure if he hit either of the assailants, but heard a loud moaning sound as they fled. Police arrested one of the suspects when he sought medical aid for a gunshot wound. (News Journal, Wilmington, DE 11/26/08)
That's the last "Armed Citizen" short story in this months American Rifleman.
This is also in DIRECT relation to this topic made shortly after the incident occured. http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum60/18784-1.html

I find it to be complete BS :cuss:

The AR magazine, IMO, has taken an unwarranted jab at Open Carry.

bs_flag.gif

What a bunch of crap.

Anyway I would like to know your thoughts on this.

So please "ANALYZE THIS" :cool:and Vote in the Poll.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Dustin wrote:
It seemed to be more of an incidental side note to me. I didn't perceive it as being negative, and it isn't really untrue (he is an advocate, right?).

They did, however leave out part of the story (the fact that the man was openly carrying at the time), and that is very interesting to me.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Not really enough info to know for sure if they were taking a jab. The ArmedCitizen columnis usually pretty short on details. I get the idea they are usually just hitting the high points for both emotional reaction about the danger from the criminal and to show the good guys prevailed by having arms.

Also, they gotta format their information to neatly fill the page.

So, I don't think we have enough info one way or another.

You could write a letter to the editor asking about it. You could point out that it happened after dark, if research shows it did. (Going off vague memory here.) And that they demanded money or something, as opposed to the gun, if research shows that to be true. And you could ask in the letter for them to be a little careful not to feed the anti-OCers about the deterence of OC, although I might word it a little differently.

Dustin

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Not really enough info to know for sure if they were taking a jab. The ArmedCitizen columnis usually pretty short on details. I get the idea they are usually just hitting the high points for both emotional reaction about the danger from the criminal and to show the good guys prevailed by having arms.

Also, they gotta format their information to neatly fill the page.

So, I don't think we have enough info one way or another.

You could write a letter to the editor asking about it. You could point out that it happened after dark, if research shows it did. (Going off vague memory here.) And that they demanded money or something, as opposed to the gun, if research shows that to be true. And you could ask in the letter for them to be a little careful not to feed the anti-OCers about the deterence of OC, although I might word it a little differently.

Yea Good point. However their Armed Citizen page is usualy either about Home Invasions or they ALWAYS make a point to mention the person was CC.ing. This is the first time I've see the word Open Carry ever on the AC page. So I thought putting it in there like that defintely fed the Anti's.

sheepdog

imported post

...I read it as a lame way of reporting that he was OC at the time...and they robbed the wrong guy....AR usually reports supportive articles about all us who stand up for ourselves...not negative....

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

sheepdog wrote:
...I read it as a lame way of reporting that he was OC at the time...and they robbed the wrong guy....AR usually reports supportive articles about all us who stand up for ourselves...not negative....

You know, I can't recall that he was OCing at the time.

Also, I wonder if the Armed Citizen editor talked to Dave to find out what happened. It could be they just gleaned information from press reports. And we all know how precise that can be.

Edited to Add: Someone in the thread linked in this OP said Dave was OCing.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

IIRC, the event that is the subject of the article occured just after dark. Dave's OC sidearm may not have been visible to the BG'sin the low light. They may have approached from the weak side as well.

Just because we wear our guns OC, doesn't mean they stand out like neon signs.

Dustin

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
IIRC, the event that is the subject of the article occured just after dark. Dave's OC sidearm may not have been visible to the BG'sin the low light. They may have approached from the weak side as well.

Just because we wear our guns OC, doesn't mean they stand out like neon signs.
OhI completely understand, the issue is AR MAG. writing it like it was an OC Initiated attack.

They could have made a mistake or they could have purposely thrown that in there. I think it was a hit against OC, done purposely. Why else would they just add that inthere. My wife is a news editor herself, and after reading it I asked her what she thought the cause of the attack could have been. She said what I'm saying here. Theat the writer wrote it as if OC"couldhave" been the reason for the attack. They didn't outright say it, but they hinted towards it by not explaining details. Otherwise they should have NOT mentioned at all that he was an OC advocate.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here's the original thread on the incident which includes a mention of the AR article:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum60/18784-1.html

I don't think it was a dig at OC. There are so many ways someone could interpret the "OC advocate" line. Being that Dave was able to draw and fire without getting injured even though the BGs had a gun in his side one could argue that the implication of the fact that he is an OC advocate is that OC saved his life because he was able to access his weapon more quickly. Let's not look for division where there very well may be none.

MamaLiberty

imported post

I've found ALL of the "Armed Citizen" stories in NRA publications to be vapid and poorly written. For a while I considered sending them the story of my armed defense shooting, but decided I didn't want to take a chance it would be mangled. Besides, the story can't be told in a few paragraphs anyway.

Here it is in full, if you are interested.
http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/08/09/22/editor.htm

Dustin

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Here's the original thread on the incident which includes a mention of the AR article:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum60/18784-1.html

I don't think it was a dig at OC. There are so many ways someone could interpret the "OC advocate" line. Being that Dave was able to draw and fire without getting injured even though the BGs had a gun in his side one could argue that the implication of the fact that he is an OC advocate is that OC saved his life because he was able to access his weapon more quickly. Let's not look for division where there very well may be none.

Yea, maybe so. I guess I expected more from the editor.