• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Came across an odd sign today

chiefjason

imported post

Went to a little gas station/restaraunt in Hildebran, NC today. Thought about OC'ing but did not feel like putting my holster on my belt. Saw a sign on the way in and looked closer as I left. It basically said no firearms unless you are LEO or CCP holder and had some statute numbers under it. Might go back and get the numbers for my own info. Guess private property can post whatever they want but I thought it was odd to have the no firearms in big letters and the LEO and CCP provisions in smaller print below it. Been paying more attention and saw 3 signs, all were different. Of course one was the Local Gov Credit Union and one was town hall.

On an unrelated note I have had several interesting conversations at my local gun/pawn shop. They now think I am nuts and I'm not sure how much info I want from them since they are the ones that are wrong. Once you get a CCP you can't OC? I guess he signed his constitutional right away. All kinds of other wacked out miss info from the employees and the customers.

acritical

imported post

Yeah, they sound very misinformed. Actually it is not the first time that I heard someone said that if you get your CCP, you lose the right to OC. I have been waiting for someone to say that to me. I can never find these people. :)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, there are stupid people everywhere, even in gun shops :p. You have to remember that a lot of "gun guys" are also elitists. They've got 101 reasons why they're better than you. I assume part of that comes from a simple correlation between confidence and firearm ownership. People that are more confident tend to own and carry firearms, or vice versa. Maybe a little of each! lol

As far as the sign at the gas station, I'd venture to guess that their goal is not to ban open carry. Rather, they want to try to make criminals think twice about bringing weapons in, but they've taken the time to make an exception for not only LEOs, but law abiding citizens as well. They just don't know that law abiding citizens don't necessarily need a permit to carry.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah, I can just see a BG stop at the door and stomp his foot and say, "Dammit! I can go in this store to rob it cuz they sez I can't bring my gun in!" :lol:

Businesses banning guns on the premises is beginning to look more and more moronic all the time. :banghead:

IanB

imported post

DreQo wrote:
You have to remember that a lot of "gun guys" are also elitists. They've got 101 reasons why they're better than you.
I have to disagree with this statement, and I have 101 reasons why I disagree.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
DreQo wrote:
You have to remember that a lot of "gun guys" are also elitists. They've got 101 reasons why they're better than you.
I have to disagree with this statement, and I have 101 reasons why I disagree.

Oh boohoo. I said "a lot". I didn't say all. I didn't even say most. I guarantee with 100% accuracy that a lot of gun owners are elitists.

Granted I would also say that most of the members on this site don't fit into that category. The point is that it's common to run into people working at gun shops that think they know everything that has to do with firearms, and they end up being wrong a lot.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Godscreation wrote:
The sign says you can't carry in there unless your LEO or a CHP holder. It doesn't say you can't OC. You just can't OC without have a CHP. If you have a CHP, OC in the gas station.

OC even if you don't have a CHP. The sign is policy, not law (in this case). I severely doubt they would even bother to ask if you had a CHP as long as you carried yourself confidently and acted respectfully. Even if they DID ask, all you'd have to respond with is a smile and "I'm legally armed, but thanks for asking." :D

EDIT: It's very possible that the sign was posted to satisfy insurance requirements, as many businesses do. They may have just taken the extra step to try not to restrict lawful carry.

chiefjason

imported post

It's not a regular stop of mine so we'll see. Yeah I thought about the oc with a CCP.:lol: I do want to go back and get the statute #'s just to satisfy my own curriosity. I wonder if they are there to "look official". Should I stand there with pen and paper and gun on hip?:p

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

chiefjason wrote:
It's not a regular stop of mine so we'll see. Yeah I thought about the oc with a CCP.:lol: I do want to go back and get the statute #'s just to satisfy my own curriosity. I wonder if they are there to "look official". Should I stand there with pen and paper and gun on hip?:p
Might as well. One of the hospitals out here has a sign banning firearms, and it quotes the reciprocity law at the bottom :D.