• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maybe slightly off topic

richarcm

imported post

But the coverage on the idiot in DC who shot himself in the leg while working at Starbucks is getting slightly irritating.

They are interviewing people from Holland who are SHOCKED that someone could carry a gun and have the opportunity to shoot themselves.

I guess once again....gun control doesn't always work....right?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Starbucks Worker Shoots
Self in Leg
Last Edited: Tuesday, 03 Mar 2009, 9:15 PM EST
Created On: Tuesday, 03 Mar 2009, 6:13 PM EST

WASHINGTON, D.C. - D.C. Police say a Starbucks employee is hospitalized after accidentally shooting himself with a gun he had in his pocket while he was working at the coffee shop.

It happened at the Starbucks location on 16th Street NW and U Street NW in Washington on Tuesday afternoon around 4:40 p.m. Investigators say the 22-year-old man was carrying a small, concealed handgun and shot himself in the left leg while customers and co-workers were close by.

"After further investigation, we determined it was an accidental shooting," said Lt. Erich Miller of the D.C. Police Department. "The subject was an employee of Starbucks carrying a small-caliber handgun."

That was stunning news to some customers.

"I come here all the time," said one man named Steve. "A couple times a day."
Another customer who spoke with FOX 5 was from Holland. He had only been in D.C. for 30 minutes when he came to the crime scene.

"It's quite shocking, I would say," the man told FOX 5. "You wouldn't expect it. I come from a country where guns are outlawed in any case."

The man, who has not been identified yet, is listed in stable condition at Howard University Hospital. Police say he did not have a permit for the weapon, and he will be charged.

There's no word yet on why he brought the gun to work.

richarcm

imported post

On TV they couldn't resist throwing in the term "packing heat". These people are such nerds.

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Which is rather funny since the Netherlands overall crime rate ranks at almost the exact same level as the US. Funny how disarming people doesn't make them any safer from criminals. Gee, where have I heard that before? Oh yeah...most of us say it.