• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL training certificate question.

Yooper

imported post

I had read, I believe on the MSP website, that a training certificate for a CPL license was exempt from having the stamp on it that states that it complies with the CPL law on it if it was taken before some date in 2003 I think.

My training certificate was issued before the requirement that it be stamped was put into law. However, for the life of me, I can't find the website where it stated that mine was exempt. Does anyone know what the website is?

I want to go turn in my stuff, but I have a feeling that the county clerks won't accept it if it's not stamped. I'd like to have some proof that it is in fact valid as far as the law is concerned.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Yooper wrote:
I had read, I believe on the MSP website, that a training certificate for a CPL license was exempt from having the stamp on it that states that it complies with the CPL law on it if it was taken before some date in 2003 I think.

My training certificate was issued before the requirement that it be stamped was put into law. However, for the life of me, I can't find the website where it stated that mine was exempt. Does anyone know what the website is?

I want to go turn in my stuff, but I have a feeling that the county clerks won't accept it if it's not stamped. I'd like to have some proof that it is in fact valid as far as the law is concerned.
Call and ask the county clerk

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I think their response takes 1st prize for stupidity. If you had actually gotten your cpl with that certificate before the requirement was in place, you could renew your cpl and be "legal". So basically, because of the wording required, it's void. I just don't see the logic here. Is the class itself any different?

jmartin

imported post

I just completed CPL class about a week ago. Somebody asked the instructor how long the certificate was valid for...He had recently been told that as long as it was within the last 12 months...it was good.

So...I think it may have been that your class was more than 12 months ago, not necessarily that it didn't have that text stamped on it.

- of course, I'm not a lawyer - just my opinion...

BTW, if your training was that long ago (6 years or longer??), don't you think you should re-train anyway? (Unless of course, you're a LEO or private detective or lawyer - someone who keeps up on the laws (and shoots frequently)
-- again, just my opinion...

:D

Venator

imported post

jmartin wrote:
I just completed CPL class about a week ago. Somebody asked the instructor how long the certificate was valid for...He had recently been told that as long as it was within the last 12 months...it was good.

So...I think it may have been that your class was more than 12 months ago, not necessarily that it didn't have that text stamped on it.

BTW, if your training was that long ago (6 years or longer??), don't you think you should re-train anyway? (Unless of course, you're a LEO or private detective or lawyer - someone who keeps up on the laws (and shoots frequently)

I can find nothing in the law that states an expiration date on the training course. Short of major law changes it should be good forever. Do you retake your driving test ever year? And the driving laws have changed more than the gun laws. I think your instructor is wrong. But it comes down to what the County will accept.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

jmartin wrote:
I recall being told the same thing. However, many people recall being told they had a duty to conceal as well. I can't find anything in the law about the validity of a certificate expiring at any time, either. I did find the reference to the stamp, though, Yooper:

(4) A concealed weapons licensing board shall not require that a specific form, color, wording, or other content appear on a certificate of completion, except as provided in subsection (5), and shall accept as valid a certificate of completion issued prior to the effective date of the amendatory act that added this subsection that contains an inaccurate reference or no reference to this section but otherwise complies with this section.
(5) Beginning October 1, 2004, a concealed weapons licensing board shall require that a certificate of completion contain the statement, “This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372.”.

This is from Firearms act 372 of 1927, 28.425j.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(fzprnd55o5hcoartss0ot355))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-Act-372-of-1927

ETA: spacing. Couldn't read it all crammed together.:exclaim:

DanM

imported post

Venator wrote:
jmartin wrote:
<snip>BTW, if your training was that long ago (6 years or longer??), don't you think you should re-train anyway? (Unless of course, you're a LEO or private detective or lawyer - someone who keeps up on the laws (and shoots frequently)<snip>
<snip>I can find nothing in the law that states an expiration date on the training course.<snip>

+1

Plus, the law addresses the "re-training" that jmartin thinks is missing. At each renewal, a CPL renewal applicant certifies he/shehas"[font="Arial, Helvetica"]Completed at least three (3) hours of review of the pistol safety training course and has at least 1 hour offiring range time in the 6 months immediately preceding the renewal application."[/font]

Also, I need to ask what information jmartin has which causes him/her to think thatCPL holders are not, similar to LEO's or private dicks, folks who "keep up on the laws and shoot frequently"? The information I have (near-lack of convictions against CPL holders for unlawful/negligent use of their handguns) indicates overwhelmingly against this seemingly unfounded notion.

jmartin, care to enlighten me?

jmartin

imported post

Don't you normally (at least) take a written exam when you renew your license?

And is that really the same thing anyway? A 16 year old can drive...they can't get a CPL.

- And maybe the county clerk's office that told the instructor "1 year" was wrong...I don't think that makes the instructor wrong.

- And yes, most CPLs probably do keep up on the general laws...but really - who has the time to keep up on EVERY piece of legislation that may affect us?

-- Didn't know I was going to slammed so hard....I'll go back to lurking (and not posting)
-- Thanks for the friendly discussions (sarcastically)

DanM

imported post

jmartin wrote:
-- Didn't know I was going to slammed so hard....I'll go back to lurking (and not posting)
There's nothing wrong or unfriendly about reasonable criticism of people's opinions or remarks. I certainly have received such, and view it very favorably as either an opportunity to strengthen my argument for an opinion or discard weak opinions of mine. Either way, I become better. I certainly don’t understand a negative view of it.

So with that being said, obviously I'm going to persist in tearing down your "CPL holders don't keep up on the laws and shoot frequently, like LEOs/private dicks/lawyers do" notion, so long as you seem to be wiggling around appearing to defend it or parts of it or sorta morphing it into something else.

- And yes, most CPLs probably do keep up on the general laws...but really - who has the time to keep up on EVERY piece of legislation that may affect us?

It sounds like you are abandoning the position that CPL holders don't shoot frequently and keep up on their laws like LEOs/private dicks/lawyers do, and sorta wiggling over to a "Well, CPL holders probably don't know EVERY law affecting them, so I'll continue saying they should re-take formal training for each renewal."

If so, I’ve got an a**-load of more reasonable criticism for that notion as well. :)

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I do recall that someone who posted here had taken a CPL class prior to the section that required the “This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372” statement needed to retake the class, as his certificate was no longer valid.

(The exact statement is listed above)

Venator

imported post

jmartin wrote:
Don't you normally (at least) take a written exam when you renew your license?

And is that really the same thing anyway? A 16 year old can drive...they can't get a CPL.

- And maybe the county clerk's office that told the instructor "1 year" was wrong...I don't think that makes the instructor wrong.

You list California in your screen name area. Was this a Michigan instructor? Laws vary from state to state.

Driving is a lot more complicated and law intensive than a CPL course. More people are killed with cars than a firearm, so yes I stand by my analogy. You onlytake your driving instruction once, and i renew mine thought the mail and don't take a test.

If the clerk told the instructor bad information it doesn't relieve the instructor from finding out the Truth or verify it. If you only knew how often CPL instructors are wrong you wouldn't be defending them.

And for the record if you think this was being slammed I got to ask you is thisyour first forum experience, you seem a little thinned skinned. As I certainly didn't mean to be slamming anyone, only trying to relate accurate information.

DanM

imported post

Venator wrote:
jmartin wrote:
<snip>And for the record if you think this was being slammed I got to ask you is thisyour first forum experience, you seem a little thinned skinned.<snip>

You would think the guy should have a hide like an alligator, being career Navy and having been a recruiter at that.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=22355&forum_id=30&jump_to=377000#p377000

Oh, well, Benjamin Button indeed is a curious case, since he claims aboveto completing a CPL class recently, yet doesn't trust himself and his fellow CPL holders to keep up with changes to relevantlaw--which, come on, happens not at breathtakingfrequency--orkeep practiced in shooting.

Maybe he should burn his CPL as soon as he receives it, because he sure as hell isn't inspiring confidence in me about his grasp on reality, particularly with regard to the excellent historical track record of CPL holders in knowing their area of law and not violating it, as well as maintaining their proficiency.

jmartin

imported post

So, now you're going to pick on my military service!

And no, I wasn't a recruiter - I was a Navy Counselor - who needs to check their facts now?

But really, maybe I am too thin-skinned for this...bye.

DanM

imported post

jmartin wrote:
So, now you're going to pick on my military service!

And no, I wasn't a recruiter - I was a Navy Counselor - who needs to check their facts now?

But really, maybe I am too thin-skinned for this...bye.

Firstly, thank you for your service. I am a veteran also, so I understand and appreciate your service to our country.

If you read carefully, I mention your prior service in connection to my thinking that it should have given you a thick hide (the ability to withstand whatever you may face in this forum). That is a compliment to the benefits of military service, not picking on it.

Generally, Navy Counselors are to greater and lesser degrees involved in recruitment and retentionactivity--both with current and prospective enlistees. At the least, they are considered the most well-rounded and well-seasoned of Navy personnel, and most suitable for mentoring and guiding junior personnel, to include helping them with choices on whether or not to stay in the Navy and, if staying, where to go. That aspect of your job, to whatever degree you participated in it, surely contributed significantly to thickening your hide, to whatever degree of thickness it currently seems to be. That was my point, and is a positive one.

I would agree that if you feel you are yet too thin-skinned to receive reasonable criticism and either eloquently defend your opinions or discard them as untenable in light of the criticism, you should not post here. We are friends here, but we do not sing Kumbaya with anyone on a point of potential contention.

If you post here, come correct or expect to be challenged.

Leader

imported post

Back to the original question...

I was also told that my certificate was no longer valid when I tried to get my CDL. It was 5 years old & didn't have the stamp that m y county wanted. Bottom line is I got the permit. There is NO expiration for your certificate.

Have the clerk show you a law, regulation, or whatever that says it does.

The provision requiring the stamp also gives the exception for older certs.

Leader

imported post

jmartin wrote:
What he was told was wrong and being an instructor, he should have known it.

Actually I didn't think learned that much in the class. My father had already taught me most of what was covered. Add in some theory about how to react to a home invasion that you may or may not agree with and some misinformation and I didn't think I needed another class at all. I did investigate the laws after I had the class & found out a few points that were wrong.

Yooper

imported post

Leader wrote:
jmartin wrote:
What he was told was wrong and being an instructor, he should have known it.

Actually I didn't think learned that much in the class. My father had already taught me most of what was covered. Add in some theory about how to react to a home invasion that you may or may not agree with and some misinformation and I didn't think I needed another class at all. I did investigate the laws after I had the class & found out a few points that were wrong.
I didn't learn that much in the class either. It was sort of like preaching to the quire.
I've learned more doing my own research.

For example, how many people here know that you can legally carry certain rifles LOADED in your car if you have a CPL? I'm willing to bet most instructors don't teach that. My instructor didn't.

I have been carrying concealed for about 8 years, and have permits from a few other states, of course none are valid now that I'm a resident again.