• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What happens if your gun is banned?

daddyman

imported post

If they reinstate the assault weapons ban, what will happen to the gun you just purchased? Can they take them? Can you use them for hunting? Can you still open carry?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

daddyman wrote:
If they reinstate the assault weapons ban, what will happen to the gun you just purchased? Can they take them? Can you use them for hunting? Can you still open carry?
I second DeanF's reply. But real quick the answer is no, yes, and yes.

G27

imported post

By that time my weapons had already been "sold", or if that didn't work I'm sure they'd hear lots of shots going off from my area... as I'm sure lots of other people would do if they had their weapons confiscated.

The sad thing is, I think (I hope I'm wrong) that a lot of people would give their guns up because they'd want to be law abiding citizens. But I know damn certain that there will be more than enough of us that won't, so I'm not too worried.

cato

imported post

There are property rights involved (ya like we have any left).

So they can prohibit the future sale (Reagan did this with NFA in '86 :X) but what you already have you get to keep (this isone reason for all the booming sales in black rifles), they can develop a registration scheme and a registration window (like in CA for AR-15s/AKs) and then prohibit sales and possession afterwards (exemption for those registered but the gun "dies" with you as it can't be passed on to the next generation in CA).

But this won't happen for a number of reasons one being the Dem. leadership just got Congress and the Pres. and they want to keep it for a while (ghosts of the last bans backlash still haunt them:lol:).

warning duct tape zone:

just_a_car

imported post

I don't know where I've heard it before or who said it first... or even if it's quoted properly... but this is one of my favorite lines:

"The day that you feel the need to bury your guns is the day you need to use them."

IanB

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Do you mean the ones thatI lost in that tragic boating accident?
No, not the ones you lost in the lake, the other ones. The ones that you sold to someone in a private sale.

I hear theremight bea PVC tube buried somewhere in West Virginia up in the hills that may or may not have some survival gear and a firearm or two inside it.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/wood115.html

Trigger Dr

imported post

I was reading in the obituary column and I see that a friend recently passed away. I had recently sold him 2 hand guns and a couple of AR. kept receipts for them also.

I went to the family to see if i could buy them back but they were sold in an estate sale and they have no record of who bought them :banghead:

David.Car

imported post

cap4sm.jpg

This is me... I was transporting all my firearms at the time... It was tragic.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

You do a "Kennedy" and go criminal gun runner, till you are once again made
a law abiding though rich citizen again.

Your only problem will be if they make them unconstitutional, but then there
is always Kalifornia who can't read the const. anyways.:exclaim:

Your safest bet is to marry the gun, then it gets citizenship, well one anyways....:shock:
Guess you can try a Peterson, and go through them every couple of years.
I swear I found the AK without the mag in the tub, the AR just ran off, and
I'm engaged to the SKS now though.

But unless you bought it with the latest illegal record checks, you are safe as
long as you never LIE to the police about it. Just ask for the warrent, and
tresspass them from the property. If you made the mistake of letting them
keep the illegal records, then get a soggy boat. Just heard that a fish ate
someones cell phone, so that might be a good one, let them catch every fish
to prove you wrong. But to not be a Martha Stewart I would suggest
dropping a wooden stick into a body of water, preferably near a school zone
where a stick is a gun, and then you don't need to lie.