• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What happens if your gun is banned?

cynicist

imported post

We'll see a resurgence of the militias again.
A factor that seemed to come into play with Ruby Ridge and Waco though was location. It'll be difficult to have a standoff if the SWAT raids your Seattle apartment, even if you do, they'll just gas you out. There won't so much visible resistance in urban areas.

Nail a copy of Heller to your door.

DEROS72

imported post

Thats exactly what we need is resitance in urban areas on masse.If we all cower and say well I'll just hide or bury my guns somewhere all our rights will be lost.The men who gave us these rights so many years ago ,Walked away from families ,their farms their children everything to stand against at the time a superior force.It took time but theyfought and died togetherfor everything we have today including the second ammendment.How can we do less.Our Constitution is being shredded as we speak and we are going to have to take it back.Or you can cower down because you don't want to be inconvenienced.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I don't live in an urban or suburban area.... this is 'Open Range'. There is no gun registration in AZ. I ain't concerned. That's why I'm 'here'.

suntzu

imported post

David.Car wrote:
cap4sm.jpg

This is me... I was transporting all my firearms at the time... It was tragic.
Is this lake a popular site for such tragic boating accidents? Do you mind if I go diving to recover the lost cargo?;)

Teej

imported post

cato wrote:
So they can prohibit the future sale (Reagan did this with NFA in '86 :X)
Highly inaccurate and/or misleading.

First...for quite some time, there was a history of BATF abuse of inspections trying to drive dealers out of business. For 7 years congress had been trying to push through a bill to reign in that power. Finally they managed to get one out of committee for a floor vote. I'm not sure what trickery that took, but I do know it wasn't a normal process.

This bill was full of good stuff for gun owners. Made interstate transportation much easier. Restricted the inspections. Allowed mail order sales of ammo, and so on. However the bill actually came to the floor late at night when most of the republicans had gone home. I'm not sure, but this may have been in the final hours of the congressional floor period session - in other words, if it didn't pass here, it wouldn't pass at all for the '86 session.

So it was late at night (or early morning) when Sen. Hughes throws out his amendment to add in the prohibition on MG sales (not all NFA). There was a voice vote on concurring in Hughes' amendment that many there said seemed to _fail_. However, the (D) leader of the house said something like "Sounds like it passed." Someone else seconded the motion. Then the bill, Hughes amendment concurred in, passed.

It's entirely possible that much of the Senate didn't know the Hughes amendment had gotten in. Even if they had, as I said, if they failed to vote for the bill as passed by the house, it would've gone back to the house and surely died in committee.

So it went to Reagan. By this point he was well aware of Hughes' amendment. Rumor is he even asked NRA reps if they wanted the bill vetoed. He was told to go ahead and sign it figuring it would be easier to repeal Hughes than try again to pass FOPA.