• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Scanner Website

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

I thought I would make everyone aware of this website scanamerica.us, they have live police scanners online for a lot of the cities of most of the states (and also fire/ems).

It's obviously fun to listen to the radio calls but a lot of the audio is also archived so perhaps in addition to getting an FOIA thing started someone (and us) can perhaps listen to any relevant radio traffic.

Not every single department is listed and some channels have multiple depts on them so the specific audio for an incident may not even be available online, or the audio may be jumbled (trying to figure out what's relevant and what's not during a particular timeframe).

I've been listening for about a year or so. I have yet to hear any MWAG guns, though....so I guess no one around Colo Spgs cares about OCers :celebrate

david.ross

imported post

I use a amateur radio set to listen to various city departments since I'm a licensed HAM. :p

One problem with some cities they're moving over to encryption, and no there is no legal requirement to release keys so you can listen. My local city department encrypts their air waves, the excuse was a solution to a problem which didn't exist, "incident chasers."

compmanio365

imported post

Tacoma, and now the county are switching over to the trunked 800 MHz system, and much of it is encrypted. So you keep having to buy more and more expensive equipment just to listen to the police frequencies, and sometimes even then you can't hear anything interesting, cause they encrypt it. I wanted to get a police scanner, but when I was told how much it was going to cost to get one that would work around here, I figureI would rather spend the money towards another gun.