• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC without CPL on a bicycle legal, Maybe not????

SQLtables

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Yeah I know that much. But the class is free. ;)

I'm just curious here. You're not going to stop questioning things like this and fighting for our actual rights are you? You stated that this topic doesn't matter much anymore to you.

BTW, congrats on the class.. At least it'll save some money.

Michigander

imported post

SQLtables wrote:
I'm just curious here. You're not going to stop questioning things like this and fighting for our actual rights are you? You stated that this topic doesn't matter much anymore to you.

Not a chance I'll quit being upset by the CPL requirements. As a matter of fact, I don't even plan to carry any ID when I won't need to.

I think Randy Weaver said it best when he said that "some people would go down to city hall and get walking permits if they were told to."

SQLtables

imported post

Michigander wrote:
SQLtables wrote:

Not a chance I'll quit being upset by the CPL requirements. As a matter of fact, I don't even plan to carry any ID when I won't need to.

I think Randy Weaver said it best when he said that "some people would go down to city hall and get walking permits if they were told to."

Not some, most, and that's sad.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Michigander wrote:
Venator wrote:
I'm not saying OC is or is not allowed on a bicycle I just putting this out there as a cautionary tale.  An arrest could be made for it and it could go to trial.   All depends on the PD and their prosecutors.
Turns out it doesn't really matter, because my brother just told me that me has made a business agreement with a CPL instructor, and he will be giving us each a free CPL class in exchange for some services. As much as I hate the concept of CPL's, it's hard to turn down free. :lol:

You mean Free*

With a $105 fee to the county...

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Bronson wrote:
Add to that the fact that when a bicycle is ridden on the road it is subject to all the same traffic rules and laws as any other vehicle and is afforded the same status by LEO. As I understand it a bike rider can be ticketed for failing to stop at a stop sign, failing to signal a turn, etc.

Venator correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying that regardless ofhow other lawsdefine human-powered conveyences if the specific law regarding carrying a pistol in a vehicle doesn't define it then a dictionary definition is used. And if a dictionary definition is usedone can definitelybe found that says a bicycle is a vehicle.

So we can cite any laws we want that define a bicycle any number of ways and those definitions have no bearing on how a bicycle would be defined in another law?

:banghead:

Bronson
I think you have it right. A vehicle can be define in one statute as (A) and in another statute as (B). If there is no definition in the statute the court goes to the dictionary to find the most common and reasonable meaning. This is true of all words used in a law.

SQLtables

imported post

Venator wrote:
SQLtables wrote:
Anybody know if there's a standard dictionary the courts use? I hope so...

In some of the appeals courts they use a couple different ones to be fair.

Link to Mich. Supreme Court decisions. http://coa.courts.mi.gov/resources/opinions.htm
Even then, if they contradict each other, you're still relying on a persons interpretation. Blah...

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I don't think they look in the dictionary to find a meaning that will help the defendant, I think they try to find one that will more than likely help the prosecution.

xd9sc

imported post

I have recently sent this question to the Michigan State Police for their opinion. I will post the return email that I get from them as soon as i receive it.

Venator

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
I don't think they look in the dictionary to find a meaning that will help the defendant, I think they try to find one that will more than likely help the prosecution.
That is true it's even stated that the Court of appeals and higher gives the benefit of doubt to the prosecution, no secret there.

SQLtables

imported post

Venator wrote:
DrTodd wrote:
That is true it's even stated that the Court of appeals and higher gives the benefit of doubt to the prosecution, no secret there.
Well, that just seems backwards doesn't it? "Beyond a reasonable doubt"... hm...

peanutpublications

imported post

xd9sc wrote:
I have recently sent this question to the Michigan State Police for their opinion. I will post the return email that I get from them as soon as i receive it.
I'll be very interested in what they have to say. I trail ride somewhat often...and if/when I get a pistol, I'm sure I'll want to be able to keep it with me...

Edit: grammar check lol

Venator

imported post

Venator wrote:
Bronson wrote:
Add to that the fact that when a bicycle is ridden on the road it is subject to all the same traffic rules and laws as any other vehicle and is afforded the same status by LEO. As I understand it a bike rider can be ticketed for failing to stop at a stop sign, failing to signal a turn, etc.

Venator correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying that regardless ofhow other lawsdefine human-powered conveyences if the specific law regarding carrying a pistol in a vehicle doesn't define it then a dictionary definition is used. And if a dictionary definition is usedone can definitelybe found that says a bicycle is a vehicle.

So we can cite any laws we want that define a bicycle any number of ways and those definitions have no bearing on how a bicycle would be defined in another law?

:banghead:

Bronson
I think you have it right. A vehicle can be define in one statute as (A) and in another statute as (B). If there is no definition in the statute the court goes to the dictionary to find the most common and reasonable meaning. This is true of all words used in a law.
And this just confirms it.

NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994

324.40101 Meanings of words and phrases.
Sec. 40101.
For purposes of this part, the words and phrases defined in sections 40102 to 40104 have the meanings ascribed to them in those sections.

SnakeEater

imported post

An interesting variant question regarding Sec. 227, the way it reads MI allows open carry of knives as well. Sometimes a large, ugly knife on your hip can be an even better deterrence to violence than a firearm. From personal experience many of the thugs out there are more afraid of a large knife than a gun. Personally, I'd rather carry both. As a 10yr AbnInf veteran, I've been a few places that having a knife in one hand & a .45 in the other caused a few troublemakers to reconsider hostility.

Is there anybody out there that can clarify this interpretation?

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Venator wrote:
dougwg wrote:
"other than a pistol"

In other words a long gun.

Pistols are ok. ;)

Thats how I read it anyway.....IANAL

I talked with My local Chief and he said that "other than a pistol" is there to direct you to the individual law concerning pistols. Which is covered below. So that's covered, what is not so clear is what is a vehicle? My Chief feels that a bicycle may be considered a vehicle. We are both looking further into the definitions of both.

Hopefully I will get some further clarification and cite something useful.

Code:
750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
Code:
Sec. 227.
Code:
(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.
Code:
(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.
Code:
(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00.

The MCL definitely says "IN" a vehicle. One cannot be in a bicycle. One can store something inside a bicycle's compartments, however.

I say ask a lawyer. But if it were me, I'd say openly carrying while riding a bicycle is not violating the law, as the gun is not inside the vehicle.