• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in the MS gulf coast area.

JT

imported post

A few quick questions for you Mississippian. How manyplaces have you open carried where you are known by sight? What type of reaction have you gotten from those that know you? Does yoursidearm becomea conversation piece when you meet people you know?

I ask because I am pretty well known at most places I frequent and one of my concerns is a well meaning curious friend drawing undue attention to the fact that I'm armed.

Mississippian

imported post

How manyplaces have you open carried where you are known by sight?
Quite a few, but i don't list them on here as I feel they "don't count" except for resturants because of the public, ie- LY Buffet, we have been going in there since they opened quite a few years ago andalthough some of the work staff changes, I always see a familiarface working therewhen we go.
What type of reaction have you gotten from those that know you?
100% positive reaction. Even by the people/employees that I have met by them asking why I carry. One lady that works/manages in a local convenience store wasat first concerned when she saw me coming in OCing, but the last time I was in there, she was telling me how many times she has been a victim of armed robbery and has said very clearly that I can OC in her store anytime! BTW, I tell everyonethat asks why I carrythat I am not in any way a LEO and in no way want to be a LEO (I respect what they do and don't mean any offence to them, it's just not for me)...I always make that very clear, I carry to protect myself and my loved ones.
Does yoursidearm becomea conversation piece when you meet people you know?

99% of the time yes, I can tell that it puts other people at ease when someone, like in WalMart, recognizes me.
one of my concerns is a well meaning curious friend drawing undue attention to the fact that I'm armed.
Just like I said above, it seems to put people at ease when they see others talking with me, laughing, joking etc.

There are soooomany variables to consider how people will react to us. I feel Ihave it easy because I am a middle aged whitebusiness ownerwho dresses like...Well, a middle aged white business owner, almost always I am dressed in nice jeans, button-up shirt with my co. name embroidered on it and a black ball cap also embroidered with my co. name...Almost a uniform, I am not saying there should be a dress code for OCing, I am just looking at reality...I'd be willing to bet I would get a much different reaction if my head was shaved, I was covered in tattoos, wore baggy clothes, provocative t-shirts,etc, etc.:shock:

Alsolook atthe guy up in VA that has been harassed even after he won a lawsuit against the very dept. that was currently harrassing him. I could be wrong, butI'd be willing to betit was/is only because he is a young black guy, this is wrong and needs to change. I bet if he was white or even a female black person, he (she)wouldn't have been harrassed. BTW, I love his hat...It says "Black Man With A Gun":D

I hope I didn't offend anyone as absolutely no offence was intended.:)

Mississippian

imported post

OC'd with my XD9 4"at WalMart again today, was there about two hours walking around withMrs Mississippianwhile she grocery shopped. No one panicked, I didn't get harrassed or ran-out or nothing, didn't even get any :shock:'s,theywere busy too, typical payday plus many getting rained out.:).

They were out of all handgun ammo except 44 Magnum and I only saw two boxes of that.

Next time I will be carrying my Springfield ArmorySS 1911 5". My new holster came in today - a Bianchi Black Widow. I like positiveretention and hate the tactical look of the SA plastic holsters.

EviL inside

imported post

yeah i was there a couple days ago and asked about 9mm WWB for my sig p226, and they said they had nothing but 44mag. i was on one of those electric carts though, so my sidearm wasn't really visible.

p226.jpg

academy sports at crossroads in gulfport had plenty though.

Mississippian

imported post

Cool Sig.

Looks like an OC trip to GPAcademy Sportsis in order, I'd like to get some more .45 ACP and then a few more 9mm and maybe some 12 gauge.

BTW, if you have so much 7.62 x 39 that you just throw around like that...:lol:

Mississippian

imported post

Another good uneventful OC night out at Pizza Hut last night (Loc: Hwy 63 just south of I10).:cool:

Although I will not go into detail, I had to call the local authorities in regards to some illegal activity on some familyproperty that I overseeandthe officerdid not say one single word about about my OC'ing. I do wish the conversation at some point would've gone there, I was wanting to get his views in regards tothepeoplesrights to carry, but judging his body language, he was not bothered, actually friendlier than expected...Looks like the majority of LEO's around here are either educated on the matter or pro 2A, and I'd bet both is true, but I'm still not lettting my guard down;).

JT

imported post

Glad things have gone so well for you. I OC'd a few times last week while running errands andgetting gasoline. Escatawpa and Helena areas. No one seemed to notice which is good but there wasn't much interaction with other people. The LEOs you spoke to. Were they city or county?

whoflungdo

imported post

Mississippian wrote:
Another good uneventful OC night out at Pizza Hut last night (Loc: Hwy 63 just south of I10).:cool:

Although I will not go into detail, I had to call the local authorities in regards to some illegal activity on some familyproperty that I overseeandthe officerdid not say one single word about about my OC'ing. I do wish the conversation at some point would've gone there, I was wanting to get his views in regards tothepeoplesrights to carry, but judging his body language, he was not bothered, actually friendlier than expected...Looks like the majority of LEO's around here are either educated on the matter or pro 2A, and I'd bet both is true, but I'm still not lettting my guard down;).
I would bet that they both know and support. I think it also has a lot to do with location and your demeanor as well. Keep up the good work.

Mississippian

imported post

uneventful except a couple double-takes.
Most likely, we will be getting those for years.

OC'd inmy bank today, was there for a while (30 +minutes standing in open)trying to deposit a rather large check into my account...Major red flag I guess:?, heard a little lady to the right of me whisper something toher teller, I'm pretty sure it was about me as she kept giving nervous glances in my direction, I just nodded &smiled at her;). Other than that and a couple double takes from other people*, no problems with the employees and was treated like normal:cool:.

Also OC'd in Lowes and Staples...No one cared.:cool:

*The double takes were more like "Woa...Cool!" other than the"Oh My God!" double takes, atleast that is how I interpreted them.

Mississippian

imported post

OC'd at LY Buffet restaurant, Annex restaurant, Cone truck stop, Big R's restaurant and Walmart (and a few other small stores/gas stations) all in the past few days with no problems. This was allin the Moss Point/Pascagoula area.:cool:

JT

imported post

I've OC'd at Cone recently but havenever gone inside openly armedsince I generally pay at the pump. It's interesting that you say you have OC'd at the Annex (I'm assuming this is the place in Pascagoulanear the intersection of HWYs 90 and 613) since that is a place the Pascagoula Police have always frequented. Ever see any LEO's there when you OC'd?

HungSquirrel

imported post

OC'ed at the Interstate Chevron at 63 & I-10 in Moss Point. The counter gals rang me up with a smile, but whispered to each other as I left. Nothing was said directly to me.

Brief as it was, this was my first time OCing in an establishment in Mississippi; I regularly OC when driving through on I-10, however.

blksheep

imported post

hi guys.. just wanted to put my 2 cents in.. I am OC'er at Pascagoula Walmart for the past week and a half..

I stop in at around 8am and grab lunch for work then stop in after work sometimes....

I have not had any problems at all yet.. however, i do expect to get my face planted at some time.