• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in the MS gulf coast area.

Mississippian

imported post

OC'd at the T/A truckstop in Grand BayAL this morning while my wife and I ate breakfast, a few stares from other truckers and a couple volunteer firemen, but definately no:shock:'s or:what:'s.

Then headed to MS and OC'd in Century Bank while getting my wife's permit paperwork notorized, but I don't think anyone even saw it...I was kinda nervous about being in there with it, but they did not have any "no firearms" signs posted.

Then headed to Biloxi and OC'd an empty holster in the post office while getting her passport photo and OC'd the empty holster while standing in line with her while applying for her firearm permit. The MDPS officer was very pro 2A and said he would like everyone [who is legal to] toatleast get CC license and then more would actually carry either open or concealed. He admitted that he did not know it was legal for a gun to be in a commercial vehicle.

Beings this was a two state OC, I figured I would post it under both states.

whoflungdo

imported post

Mississippian wrote:
OC'd at the T/A truckstop in Grand BayAL this morning while my wife and I ate breakfast, a few stares from other truckers and a couple volunteer firemen, but definately no:shock:'s or:what:'s.

Then headed to MS and OC'd in Century Bank while getting my wife's permit paperwork notorized, but I don't think anyone even saw it...I was kinda nervous about being in there with it, but they did not have any "no firearms" signs posted.

Then headed to Biloxi and OC'd an empty holster in the post office while getting her passport photo and OC'd the empty holster while standing in line with her while applying for her firearm permit. The MDPS officer was very pro 2A and said he would like everyone [who is legal to] toatleast get CC license and then more would actually carry either open or concealed. He admitted that he did not know it was legal for a gun to be in a commercial vehicle.

Beings this was a two state OC, I figured I would post it under both states.
From my experience, most of the LE's I know or have run into in MS have this opinion. The ones that do not, typically have not been around firearms until they decided on a LE or Military career and they are still projecting their fears/emotions onto law abiding gun-toting citizens. When I got my first carry permit back in the 90's I sat and talked to the MDPS officer in the firearms permit section for about an hour talking about the new CC laws and the changes in the laws that allow anyone to carry without a permit in their home, place of business, or in any motor vehicle. It was a very interesting discussion.

I have run into some LEO's that have been jaded through the job and have seen quite a few people that are completely legal to own a firearm handling them in an unsafe manner regularly. Those are the ones that would like mandatory training or more restraints on who can and cannot carry.

I did not realize "Open Carry" was an option in AL. I know they reciprocate with MS. I have had a hard time finding the CC and OC carry laws for AL. If you have a web-site that I could go to, I would appreciated you posting it.

Mississippian

imported post

Alabama's law on requiring a CC permit for a firearm in a vehicle is the reason my wife is applying for hers. We like to keep a firearm in our vehicle and she travels in AL quite a bit.

It's a start, who knows, I may be able to someday get her to carry, but I will definately not force it on her.Only recently has she gotten comfortable going with me to placeswhile I OC:celebrate

JT

imported post

Encouraging news. I have yet to open carry since I don't have a suitable OWBholster. (All mineare IWB) I've been looking at OWBholsters but having a hard time deciding since I can't try them out before I buy.

My wife just received her concealed firearm permit Saturday. She is excited now that she can carry.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Is it considered brandishing if you use a starbucks bathroom with a hidden cam?:cuss:
One more reason not to CC. More ways to be trapped.

But I like the empty postal holster, might need to make an honorary
commemorative one for this.
But all that work just over the border, just stop in and give money
in AL. No notary, no signing forms, no fingerprints, those pesky car laws
get you otherwise a nice place.

turbodog

imported post

JT wrote:
Encouraging news. I have yet to open carry since I don't have a suitable OWBholster. (All mineare IWB) I've been looking at OWBholsters but having a hard time deciding since I can't try them out before I buy.

My wife just received her concealed firearm permit Saturday. She is excited now that she can carry.
Try the Serpa. I was no fan of plastic holsters till I tried that one.

JT

imported post

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into both.

On another note how many of you have taken the time totalk to a LEO and ask questions concerning open carry? My wife spoke to a Pascagoula PD officer yesterday and asked some questions concerning his understanding ofMS gun law. He was pro 2A and willing to talk but it was obvious that he had some questions himself about the proper understanding of the law as written. He said he had no problem himself with open carry but he was unsure of the law regarding it. That seems to be the norm unfortunately.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

the wheeelman wrote:
SlackwareRobert wrote

What's that you speak of? Is there a story to this statement?
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10525003

The news this morning had a story of a hidden cam in starbucks bathroom,
But if you CC and drop trow, are you brandishing when video gets posted on the net?
I am lucky that I don't reside in the 9th district, but you never know with the anti's.
Could cause a stink in Texas also.:lol:

dlofton

imported post

Just thought that I woud make a comment here....

I moved from Mississippi to Texas several years ago but I though that I would share some light on OC in the state of MS.

It is unlawful to OC in MS. I know this for two reasons:

1. I was a police officer in MS for almost a decade and 2. I will quote the law that says it is illegal:

Nothing in this section shall be construed to require or allow the registration, documentation or providing of serial numbers with regard to any firearm. Further, nothing in this section shall be construed to allow the open and unconcealed carrying of any deadly weapon as described in Section 97-37-1, Mississippi Code of1972.

The above section is from the MS code Annotated from § 45-9-101. The mentioned section makes extremely clear that it is illegal to OC in the state of MS.

Now, having said all of these things...I am personally all for OC, both in MS and in TX (where I am currently a police officer). But the law is the law and it is extremely clear in this case. I really am a 2A freak...in fact, I believe that the 2A should be mandatory and not optional for all able-bodied adults. Please don't confuse me with those police officers that are not informed of the law. I am well aware of the laws of both MS and TX. I have NEVER arrested someone for simply having a gun, either in their car or anywhere else.

David

EviL inside

imported post

according to the state supreme court and the MS attorney general, there really is no such thing as open unconcealed carry. the state supreme court ruled that a pistol in a holster is legally considered concealed. it's true that most reasonable people would consider a holster on your hip not covered open carry, but the AG further clarified the opinion when he stated that clip on the side of a pistol would still be concealed as he "can't see the other side of the gun".

so basically, with my permit, i can carry however i want,,,,even if it's hanging from a string around my neck, it's still concealed,,,"legally".

so much for being well aware of the law.

funny how lawmakers try to get around rights protected in the state constitution.

Mississippian

imported post

EviL inside wrote:
according to the state supreme court and the MS attorney general, there really is no such thing as open unconcealed carry. the state supreme court ruled that a pistol in a holster is legally considered concealed. it's true that most reasonable people would consider a holster on your hip not covered open carry, but the AG further clarified the opinion when he stated that clip on the side of a pistol would still be concealed as he "can't see the other side of the gun".

so basically, with my permit, i can carry however i want,,,,even if it's hanging from a string around my neck, it's still concealed,,,"legally".

so much for being well aware of the law.

funny how lawmakers try to get around rights protected in the state constitution.

+1, well said.

Technically, I am CCing until I cross into AL, then I am OCing.

Ms state constitution Article 3, Section 12:

The right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person, or property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall not be called in question, but the legislature may regulate or forbid carrying concealed weapons.

My take is when this judge ruled that a OWB holstered handgunwas in fact concealed, that the MS lawmakers would then have a loophole allowing them to completely forbid carrying any way at all, open or concealed, but it did not happen.

Dlofton, How is the OC movement coming over there?

JT

imported post

dlofton wrote:
Nothing in this section shall be construed to require or allow the registration, documentation or providing of serial numbers with regard to any firearm. Further, nothing in this section shall be construed to allow the open and unconcealed carrying of any deadly weapon as described in Section 97-37-1, Mississippi Code of1972.

The above section is from the MS code Annotated from § 45-9-101. The mentioned section makes extremely clear that it is illegal to OC in the state of MS.
Actually that section of the law doesn't forbid open carry. It simply states that the concealed firearm permit section of the MS Code does't authorize open carry. Article 3 Section 12 of theMS Constitution clearly limits the legislature'sregulation ofour right to keep and bear arms to concealed weapons. The problem is that our state supreme court has delved into the realm of quantum physics in determining the meaning of "concealed in part."

EviL inside

imported post

Mississippian said:
My take is when this judge ruled that a OWB holstered handgunwas in fact concealed, that the MS lawmakers would then have a loophole allowing them to completely forbid carrying any way at all, open or concealed,

exactly. since it states in the constitution that they could not regulate open carry, but they could regulate concealed carry, they ruled that ALL carry is concealed in thier eyes, so they could regulate away.

the problem is that most LE are reasonable people and believe like most of us that blatantly displaying a pistol in a holster on your side or whatever SHOULD be considered unconcealed, and they, like most uninformed people, think that unconcealed is unlawful, even though in the state constitution, unconcealed carry CANNOT be regulated.

whoflungdo

imported post

EviL inside wrote:
exactly. since it states in the constitution that they could not regulate open carry, but they could regulate concealed carry, they ruled that ALL carry is concealed in thier eyes, so they could regulate away.

the problem is that most LE are reasonable people and believe like most of us that blatantly displaying a pistol in a holster on your side or whatever SHOULD be considered unconcealed, and they, like most uninformed people, think that unconcealed is unlawful, even though in the state constitution, unconcealed carry CANNOT be regulated.
If most LE think that "OC" with a permit is illegal, then they missed a lecture in their Academy. We went over this in fairly good detail and even had some cadets ask specific questions regarding this issue. We were told that you could carry a firearm on the hip in the open with a Firearms Permit in MS. Or if you were in your home, your place of business or in any motor vehicle without a permit. Another option to carry "concealed in whole or in part" is if you are engaged in a ligitmate sporting activity that would require the use of said firearm or on you way to or from said sporting event without a permit. The law even states examples of sporting events, IE hunting, fishing, target shooting, etc.

I've posted those sections of the state code in either this post or a previous one.

whoflungdo

imported post

dlofton wrote:
Just thought that I woud make a comment here....

I moved from Mississippi to Texas several years ago but I though that I would share some light on OC in the state of MS.

It is unlawful to OC in MS. I know this for two reasons:

1. I was a police officer in MS for almost a decade and 2. I will quote the law that says it is illegal:

Now, having said all of these things...I am personally all for OC, both in MS and in TX (where I am currently a police officer). But the law is the law and it is extremely clear in this case. I really am a 2A freak...in fact, I believe that the 2A should be mandatory and not optional for all able-bodied adults. Please don't confuse me with those police officers that are not informed of the law. I am well aware of the laws of both MS and TX. I have NEVER arrested someone for simply having a gun, either in their car or anywhere else.

David

David, what one of our lawyer instructors told us was the quoted statute above does not make it legal to "Open Carry", it does not make it illegal. It is just stating that this section of the code does not allow you to "Open Carry". Which is quite odd since other laws and MS Case Law makes it seem that their is no such thing in MS as "Unconcealed". Therefore, a Firearms permit allows you carry concealed in whole or in part. The firearm would be considered concealed by the part that was in a holster.

I know confusing. I just wish either the supreme court or the legislature would define what is concealed and what is open and differentiate between the state constitutions and the concealed carry laws. I know I'm dreaming... but it would be nice.