• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

S&W model 66-5

gamestalker

imported post

I need some information on a couple of S&W revolvers in .357 regarding their value. I have a model 66-2 and a 66-5, both in excellent condition. Yesterday I was talking to guy about selling one of my high powered rifles that I've put a lot of work and money into. However, the guy kept looking at my 66-5 and asked if he could fire it a few times and I proceeded to let him do so. Long story short which if any of you have taken notice, I'm not very good at short stories. Anyway, he asked me whatI paid for it, and at the time I purchased it I gave up some cash and traded a Tec9 for it which came out to be about $750 or so. I told the guy I wasn't really interested in selling my 66-5 but almost everything has its price and he came up with a $1000 cash offer. I said no thanks I started to focus on the high power rifle again and before we parted he made me another offer on the .357 of $1250 of which I said I would think about. My question is this, in excellent condition is there something about this particular model in stainless as is this one that makes it worth so much? This gun is just about as accurate as anyone could expect from a weapon, especially a revolver, but I'm beginning to think I have something more than what I thought. I know its not junk by any means, but I didn't know it was worth so much. Then last night I was in Sportsman Warehouse and encountered another individual who was trying to get me to sell my 66-5 and his offer started in the $1000 range too. I know S&W stopped manufacturing the 66 in 2003 or 2004, I don't remember which. And I've never seen one in a gun shop in years though the ones I've seen were in the $1200 price range when you could get them new 5 or 6 years ago.

Temptation may win!

Loneviking

imported post

Beats me why he's offering so much. I have a 65-6, which is the fixed sight version of the same gun, and I paid $500 for it about four months ago. On Gunbroker, the 66's go for about the same money, when you can find one. I'd sell him my 65 in a heartbeat as it's accuracy is lousy. I picked up a 4" Model 19 about a week after the 65, and the 19 will out shoot the 65 easily.

gamestalker

imported post

I don't know why your 65 is not performing wel in terms of accuracy. My 66-5 picks off cans at 100 yds. consistently and groups on paper like no other. I just got a little bit of information about this one I have, and apparently it is one of less than 100 that were custom built by the S&W performance center. But in all honesty, it shoots just as nice as my model 66-2 does, which is superior.

sheepdog

imported post

...I would demand cash if I sold to him...it seems strange for him to offer so much for not that rare a weapon...a hot check may be in his mind....be careful...I'd rather have an earlier model of any Smith than the later ones...have a 65 3" and I'm looking hard for a 64 2" round butt...fine weapons, all....

gamestalker

imported post

I personally checked this weapon out through S&W and was informed tis particular one is a custom job, something about a signature series of which less than 100 were made. And yes, I am not going to do anything unless its cash money. Thanks for the suggestion. I also have a 66-2 I bought back in 1985 or 1986 for $400.