• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alaska Laws

david.ross

imported post

murphyslaw wrote:
Employers can regulate the possession of firearms in your vehicle while on company property.
o.0

http://www.legis.state.ak.us/cgi-bin/folioisa.dll/stattx08/query=parked/doc/{@9029}?

Well I found the section, it just wasn't listed under the same ref # in the URL.

[align=left]
tab.gif
(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the state, a municipality, or a person may not adopt or enforce a law, ordinance, policy, or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an individual from possessing a firearm while that individual is within a motor vehicle or prohibiting an individual from storing a firearm that is locked in the individual's motor vehicle while the motor vehicle is otherwise legally
hitleft.gif
parked
hitright.gif
in or on state or municipal property or another person's property. This section applies only to possession of a firearm by an individual who may legally possess a firearm under state and federal law.[/align][align=left]
tab.gif
(b) This section does not limit a person's rights or remedies under any other law.[/align] [align=left]
tab.gif
(c) The state, a municipality, or a person is not liable for any injury or damage resulting from the storage of a firearm in the vehicle of another individual in accordance with this section.[/align] [align=left]
tab.gif
(d) Notwithstanding (a) of this section, an employer or its agent may prohibit the possession of firearms within a secured restricted access area, as defined in AS 29.35.145 (e)(2), in a vehicle owned, leased, or rented by the employer or its agent or in a parking lot owned or controlled by the employer within 300 feet of the secured restricted access area that does not include common areas of ingress and egress open to the general public. The employer or its agent shall post conspicuous notice of the prohibition against possession of firearms at each entrance to the restricted access area and affected parking area.[/align][align=left]
[/align][align=left]They can create "gun-free zones" up to 300 feet from the "secured" area which can cover the parking lot.[/align][align=left]I know mine only prohibits firearms in the building, I asked if I should walk out right then and there when they started talking about making a policy. I think there was a client related incident at one point and they started talking about the insurance. :)
[/align][align=left]
[/align]

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

At my work they have a big "no firearms" policy, yet for work I must have a firearm. Kinda funny if you ask me. When I check out my weapons system in the armory I check in my POF.

Flintlock

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Just in case you are still in Alaska when you are 21 and apply for your concealed permit and that stupid order still exists.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, last I heard, Alaska doesn't have concealed weapons permits. One of only two states allowing concealed carry without a permit.
You are correct. We do not have concealed "weapons" permits in the state of Alaska, rather we have concealed handgun permits. Florida would be an example of astate that has weapons permits.

They are essentially useless in our localityother than to gain reciprocity with otherstates.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Just curious about knife laws. Here in Washington, they are a hodgepodge of local laws and regulations, with a handful of state laws banning certain types of blades.

In Olympia, they mirror state law, with no other restrictions. So I can wear a fixed blade knife on my belt of any size if I want to. In Seattle any fixed blade knife will get me thrown into jail, as would a folder over a certain size.

DokWatson

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Just curious about knife laws. Here in Washington, they are a hodgepodge of local laws and regulations, with a handful of state laws banning certain types of blades.

In Olympia, they mirror state law, with no other restrictions. So I can wear a fixed blade knife on my belt of any size if I want to. In Seattle any fixed blade knife will get me thrown into jail, as would a folder over a certain size.
There are no blade length laws in Alaska as far as I know. I walk around with a Ka-Bar on my belt frequently. If there are any such laws, They certainly aren't enforced :p

spyderdude

imported post

I would hope there wouldn't be any blade length restrictions. It would seem very strange that they would allow the carrying of firearms with almost no restrictions, and yet have limits on how long a knife can be, because guns can obviously do harm at much greater distances than knives can.

FMCDH

imported post

spyderdude wrote:
I would hope there wouldn't be any blade length restrictions. It would seem very strange that they would allow the carrying of firearms with almost no restrictions, and yet have limits on how long a knife can be, because guns can obviously do harm at much greater distances than knives can.
You would think that would be the case, but strangely enough, most states restrict the concealed carry of a knife to 3 1/2 inches maximum. Some states ban the outright carry of fixed blades completely regardless of the length.

Most only restrict the carry of spring assisted or butterfly knifes. Alaska is an exception that says that only military and law enforcement are allowed to buy and carry such knifes. A citizen buying such a knife isn't illegal in Alaska in and of itself, but the store is suppose to ID the individual and deny the sale without proof of LE or MIL status.

Unlike guns, there are few if any states that ban the simple ownership of any kind of "evil" blade. Concealed carry of those blades is almost expressly illegal however, and the open carry of a sword, in the state of Washington anyway, will get you arrested 10 times quicker than the open carry of a firearm. Its been maintained by many a LEA and court that the sight of a large blade (i.e. sword, machete) carried in public on the average Joe has a tendency to cause more "alarm" in the public eye than an open firearm.

Strange that, but encouraging somehow. :?

You think the laws of carrying firearms around the country are a hodgepodge? Just start looking into the restrictions of carrying blades and "other" weapons, and your head will start to spin unlike anything you have experienced before. :p

I started researching it myself about 10 years ago but quickly gave up and figured a nice Benchmade folder and my pistol w/license was quite enough to keep me safe and happy. Besides, the knife is all but an utilitarian afterthought in the matter of self defense, when your carrying 2 pistols everywhere. ;)