• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia College carry for non-students or faculty.

nova

imported post

Private univs. are no different than any other private property. That's a whole 'nuther discussion right there...do your 2nd amendment rights (and other constitutional rights) end where other's property rights begin?

The issue with Public Univs. is that they are "Public" and therefore cannot prohibit guns or else it violates 2A.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

read the AG opinion on college carry - googles up pretty easily and says college rules not applicable to the general public outisde classroom buildings so presumably trhey can't even ask you to leave while talking a stroll across campus.

leprechaun117

imported post

Mike wrote:
read the AG opinion on college carry - googles up pretty easily and says college rules not applicable to the general public outisde classroom buildings so presumably trhey can't even ask you to leave while talking a stroll across campus.

The Opinion talks specifically of the UVA hospital, if you can carry in the hospital you can certainly carry on the grass next to it.

Btw, I'm about 100 yards from UVA hospital right now, OC as always :)

paramedic70002

imported post

leprechaun117 wrote:
Mike wrote:

The Opinion talks specifically of the UVA hospital, if you can carry in the hospital you can certainly carry on the grass next to it.

Flag on the play! You could be off UVA property if it's still like I remember from my last visit!

leprechaun117

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
leprechaun117 wrote:
Mike wrote:

Flag on the play! You could be off UVA property if it's still like I remember from my last visit!

Got me! I was at Jimmy Johns... Did walk through the lawn a bit, that's definitely campus.

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

How about "public-private" as EVMS claims to be? Did the mystery of "public-private" get settled with Waterside?

I was there the other night helping my girlfriend setup for parents weekend...the door coming in actually isn't posted, but between the elevators in Lewis Hall there is plaque that says something about needing ID and no firearms allowed.

I didn't take the elevators, so I assumed I was good to go :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
How about "public-private" as EVMS claims to be? Did the mystery of "public-private" get settled with Waterside?

I was there the other night helping my girlfriend setup for parents weekend...the door coming in actually isn't posted, but between the elevators in Lewis Hall there is plaque that says something about needing ID and no firearms allowed.

Waterside & Danbus - Did not go to appellate court so judges decision will not be binding on other cases before other judges. This judge said the money trail satisfied him that it was owned/operated by the city - in so many words.
Six of us including Dan ate lunch there immediately after the trial - all OCing. :celebrate
Two security officers walked by us without a second glance - sure that they were informed because we advised their boss outside the courthouse that we were headed over there to celebrate.

Yata hey

Neplusultra

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
SaltH2OHokie wrote:

Waterside & Danbus - Did not go to appellate court so judges decision will not be binding on other cases before other judges. This judge said the money trail satisfied him that it was owned/operated by the city - in so many words.
Six of us including Dan ate lunch there immediately after the trial - all OCing. :celebrate
Two security officers walked by us without a second glance - sure that they were informed because we advised their boss outside the courthouse that we were headed over there to celebrate.

Yata hey
Again, no photos........:cry:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Again, no photos........:cry:
Somebody in Norfolk want to remedy that? Inside Waterside in the common area - not outside.

Yata hey