• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Read the NCOPC proposals VERY carefully

RayBurton72

imported post

Before signing onto any petitions, please read their letters and proposed amendments VERY carefully, many of them are so poorly worded it could easily do our cause more harm than good - either by actually passing bad laws, or by diluting our strength in the General Assembly when poorly drafted proposals are sent over our names.

The current signature petition and proposalsby the NCOPC are so rife with errors, that I urge anyone interested in signing his petition to take a VERY careful look at them.

Add to that, the person pushing this petition,Johnston-Wake COPTF, is not only a very recentaddition to this board, his commentary about NC guns laws is so far off base, anything he is "promoting" should be looked at very carefully.

While I dislike the chance I may be attacking someone who truly desires to protect our gun rights, I feel we should be very careful. I for one, have never heard of the organization he promotes (NCOPC). Further, on its own website, it publishes treatises writtenby (and attributed to) The Center to Prevent Handgun Violence, otherwise known as the Brady Bunch.

Further, in the cover letter he asks you to sign (and get everyone you know to sign), it refers to "The issuance of a gun permit currently establishes that the applicant or bearer meets the guidelines to own a firearm," and "As we have seen time and time again, law-abiding citizens obtain a permit to purchase a gun."

As anyone involved in lobbying the General Assembly for 2nd Amendment rights should already know, there is no permit requirement to own a gun in North Carolina.

Further, there is no requirement for a permit to purchase a gun, only to obtain a handgun.

As for the bill proposals themselves, in many ways they create bigger problems down the road than the ones they purport to solve today and may are either poorly written or do not accomplish what they seem.

Whether to support them is up to each person, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, read them VERY carefully...

Johnston-Wake COPTF

imported post

It is funny how the letter written was done so with the input of several PRO-GUN Congressmen and a U.S. Congresswoman. Mr. Burton, as a proponent for the Brady Campaign, you should not step on toes.

Anyone wishing to verify my credentials is more than welcome to. Simply read the FOIA!

As for errors, please feel free to professionally address your concerns; not simply state your thoughts behind the privacy and security of your home computer.

Finally, the multiple signature form letter was written by a member of the SCCC. Maybe they too are rallying for the Brady Campaign.

Godscreation

imported post

Ray,
Where the heck did this come from? I disagree with a lot of what Johnston has to say, but the petition that he is proposing is fairly solid and will help, for the most part, the gun rights in NC. If you want to blame somebody, blame me, as I was the one who worked with Johnston to help get this petition started. Johnston has more resources and contacts than I do, so he took over most of the work.

If you don't like him and the petition, don't sign it. Also, if you find certain things that are wrong in his petition, please be specific, so he can address those issues. The slap and run technique doesn't work well in these forums.