• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blackwater a.k.a XE

suntzu

imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
I'm not sure I'd go to work there right now as the top 2 guys just resigned, and I think that current climate in DC will mean it will be harder for PMCs to find work.
There should be plenty of jobs for mercs in North Africa...just a thought.

Joed757

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
Joed757 wrote:
you cant exceed a certain weight to move up in rankings what about the big fella who can move just as a smaller fellow.
Don't expect military (type) organizations to change their rules to accommodate you.

Lose the lard or stay in the yard.
I can respect a good 215 solid but going to 185 from 275+ isnt what i want.Playing in high school i operated a good 250 so 215 sounds resonable for me to get to but Im def not trying to be 185.

suntzu

imported post

Joed757 wrote:
Not 1 person they protected has been killed ever.I got to find some way to get into the door.
I don't care how good the mercs are--there are holes in every security detail, regardless of how well thought out it is. A committed individual will find a way.

Second, I keep hearing how Blackwater is so hot--they didn't do so well in Baghdad when those mercs massacred civilians...of course it is always easier to shoot at people who can't shoot back...

just my .02 cents.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Bulldog, what's with the short hair and no beard? You're not getting old on us, are you? I'm growing some back, myself, try to blend in a little more when I walk into a room full of yuppies.

Blackhawk, or Xe, or whatever they call themselves now, creep me out a little. I'd like to take their training, but I wouldn't want to work for them.
+1

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

suntzu wrote:
Joed757 wrote:
Not 1 person they protected has been killed ever.I got to find some way to get into the door.
I don't care how good the  mercs are--there are holes in every security detail, regardless of how well thought out it is.  A committed individual will find a way. 

Second, I keep hearing how Blackwater is so hot--they didn't do so well in Baghdad when those mercs massacred civilians...of course it is always easier to shoot at people who can't shoot back...

just my .02 cents.
+1

darthmord

imported post

suntzu wrote:
Joed757 wrote:
I don't care how good the mercs are--there are holes in every security detail, regardless of how well thought out it is. A committed individual will find a way.

just my .02 cents.

Something to keep in mind... whether or not they did what they were accused of, in terms of political expediency, it's almost always better to blame the mercs rather than the troops.

Who is presumed to be more faithful? The volunteer soldier or the guy who signed up for money?

doug23838

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I spent two weeks training there. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute (except the food - awful)

n1646282398_3008.jpg

I wouldnt mind working there myself!

I've trained there also. Two weeks of pistol, and the shotgun course. I plan to go back for more.

The foods not bad there Jim. Besides food is a tool that turns off hunger. I really don't place more emphasis on it than that.

As for working for them. Most requirements I saw required ex-military with a preference for ex-SF. Can't blame 'em. They need folks that instantly speek the same lanaguage, and know the same things and understand the same things.

doug23838

imported post

suntzu wrote:
Joed757 wrote:

just my .02 cents.

When those "civilians" have been known to ambush your convoys, kill your comrades, drag them from their vehicles, burn their bodies and then hang the corpse from a bridge and then dance, in the streets, I think it might make you a little jumpy. It would me.

You didn't forget what those "civilians" did to the Blackwater team in Fallujah did you?

Just my .02 cents.

suntzu

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
suntzu wrote:
Joed757 wrote:

just my .02 cents.

When those "civilians" have been known to ambush your convoys, kill your comrades, drag them from their vehicles, burn their bodies and then hang the corpse from a bridge and then dance, in the streets, I think it might make you a little jumpy. It would me.

And they would NOT have been there to be ambushed by the insurgents who were fighting to repel a foreign invading army if it were not for the massive--and I mean MASSIVE "reconstruction" contracts....Blackwater and its operators were there by choice.

You didn't forget what those "civilians" did to the Blackwater team in Fallujah did you?

They were in Falluja by CHOICE. They were greedy, they saw a chance to make a LOT of money tax free and that is what brought them to Falluja that day. I feel for their families, I really do but no one made them go to Iraq, and as it has since been reported--Blackwater did not even properly equip the mercenaries in its' employ before, during or after they got into Iraq. all of this does not excuse the mistreatment of their bodies after the fact however. Once the mercs were deceased, the enemy should have simply moved on, but instead they chose to engage in what should be considered war crimes, and for that every insurgent there should be wiped out.

now you tell me--would any of us fight any less differently if a foreign army invaded our country? We would resort to guerrilla warfare, just like the insurgents did. While we would not drag the bodies of our enemies through the streets is to me secondary to the issue that we, the people of the United States of Americay would use guerrilla warfare tactics against our enemy if the Chinese, or the Russians, or the Mexicans, or any other nation chose to invade the USA...you know it as well as I do. There would be a gun behind every tree, behind every building and in every alleyway in every city in America. The resistance would be heavy in my opinion with fighting going street to street and house to house just like it is in Iraq...and if you are honest with yourself you will admit it.

The facts remain--at least the way the media portrayed them to us, which is highly suspect anymore...but the facts as they were reported are--those blackwater employees opened fire on unarmed individuals in a city square.

Just my .02 cents.

suntzu

imported post

Besides all of this--there should be absolutely NO "private contractors" in a war zone, period. No mercs by whatever name you call them whatsoever should be allowed into a war zone where the US is fighting a war--ever. War should not be privatized or outsourced to Blackwater, Wackenhut, or any of the other "private contractors" out there, and no "reconstruction" company should be allowed into a war zone until all hostilities have been concluded...not Bechtel, not Haliburton, not any of them. Let all hostilities cease FIRST, and THEN begin allowing the "reconstruction".

doug23838

imported post

suntzu wrote:
They were in Falluja by CHOICE. They were greedy, they saw a chance to make a LOT of money tax free and that is what brought them to Falluja that day. I feel for their families, I really do but no one made them go to Iraq, and as it has since been reported--Blackwater did not even properly equip the mercenaries in its' employ before, during or after they got into Iraq. all of this does not excuse the mistreatment of their bodies after the fact however. Once the mercs were deceased, the enemy should have simply moved on, but instead they chose to engage in what should be considered war crimes, and for that every insurgent there should be wiped out.
I really don't have a problem with people being greedy. And, from what I know of it, most of Blackwater's operators are each independent contractors and not "employees". Each works on a 10-99 basis and pays his own taxes, FICA, etc. I understand some operators made $20k per month. Sounds good, when you're warm, dry, clean, fed, and no body is shooting at you. Take that away and $20k / month doesn't sound so appetizing to me. I don't think their compensation was excessive given the task, and potential cost. I don't think their compensation was tax free (but I really don't know one way or another.) Its tough to trust (a) people when you know that some of them are capable of the savagery on display in Fallujah. It would make me adopt the "Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out." mind set.
now you tell me--would any of us fight any less differently if a foreign army invaded our country? We would resort to guerrilla warfare, just like the insurgents did.
Correct. Hopefully we won't have to, but if we do, call me an insurgent.
The facts remain--at least the way the media portrayed them to us, which is highly suspect anymore...but the facts as they were reported are--those blackwater employees opened fire on unarmed individuals in a city square.
That is what was reported. It was also reported that it was a 20 minute fire fight with 17 killed. Now, I've never been in a fire fight but 17 people in 20 minutes sounds like well disciplined shot placement because if you were around after the first minute, you were involved. What I mean is, everybody that wasn't there for a fight, ran from the area.When shooting starts people do 1 of 2 things. Run or fight. What I'm most doubtful about is that BW initiated the fight.
I doubt we'll wholly agree on BW's involvement, or the use of contractors in a conflict area. But I like knowing you'll provide cover fire if it came to that in our corner of the world.

suntzu

imported post

doug23838 wrote:
suntzu wrote:
I really don't have a problem with people being greedy. And, from what I know of it, most of Blackwater's operators are each independent contractors and not "employees". Each works on a 10-99 basis and pays his own taxes, FICA, etc. I understand some operators made $20k per month. Sounds good, when you're warm, dry, clean, fed, and no body is shooting at you. Take that away and $20k / month doesn't sound so appetizing to me. I don't think their compensation was excessive given the task, and potential cost. I don't think their compensation was tax free (but I really don't know one way or another.) Its tough to trust (a) people when you know that some of them are capable of the savagery on display in Fallujah. It would make me adopt the "Kill 'em all. Let God sort 'em out." mind set.

Personally, I have to admit that I have a problem with greed when it causes people to put themselves into extremely dangerous situations--like Blackwater in Iraq who then gets themselves killed as a result of (1) underestimating enemy strength, (2) underestimating the mind set of the enemy, and (3) getting themselves killed as a result of their greed which then leads to the US screaming for blood and revenge against the insurgents.
Correct. Hopefully we won't have to, but if we do, call me an insurgent
That is what was reported. It was also reported that it was a 20 minute fire fight with 17 killed. Now, I've never been in a fire fight but 17 people in 20 minutes sounds like well disciplined shot placement because if you were around after the first minute, you were involved. What I mean is, everybody that wasn't there for a fight, ran from the area.When shooting starts people do 1 of 2 things. Run or fight. What I'm most doubtful about is that BW initiated the fight.

As I said--what is said in the news is highly suspect anymore. However, while I agree to a point that once the shooting starts you are either running for cover or involved--but if someone started shooting at you without provocation--you would shoot back to.

I have my suspicions that BW initiated the fight--BW employees have a reputation of believing that they can do as they please. For example--the BW guard who got drunk and killed an Iraqi guard and was then rushed quietly out of the country...

when the State Dept. gave them immunity from crimes they may have committed--that set the stage for everything to go wrong. This prosecution now of those BW guards is just a desperate attempt by the government to please the Iraqi people.
But I like knowing you'll provide cover fire if it came to that in our corner of the world.

Ditto

but I still think that all contractors should be kept out of a war zone and that no firm should be allowed to make a fortune off of the suffering of others...

Spectre

imported post

My goal is to work for a company like this but hopefully Blackwater is the one I get. My experience will be from being in the ARMY as a 31B.

Dom

imported post

Besides all of this--there should be absolutely NO "private contractors" in a war zone, period. No mercs by whatever name you call them whatsoever should be allowed into a war zone where the US is fighting a war--ever. War should not be privatized or outsourced to Blackwater, Wackenhut, or any of the other "private contractors" out there, and no "reconstruction" company should be allowed into a war zone until all hostilities have been concluded...not Bechtel, not Haliburton, not any of them. Let all hostilities cease FIRST, and THEN begin allowing the "reconstruction".
Why? I was a private contractor in Afghanistan. My job was to provide tools to reduce friendly fire incidents, provide communications between NATO forces on the ground, and help the US and our allies win the war. If I wasn't there the system wouldn't have been deployed, so your blanket statements mean you'd rather more soldiers die than accept the technology I can provide. How unpatriotic, you'd deny me the ability to save soldiers lives.

I wasn't Blackwater, but I met a few of those guys and they're a little nuts (I say that with humor), but God bless them they're doing a dangerous job that our military really can't do for political reasons.

YllwFvr

imported post

Blackwater ya I heard about em so I spent my weekend at work learning about them. We don't do much but sit at a pc so I spend 36 hours digging LOL. Called/emailed a few of my buddies overseas to get there opinion.

I saw several videos taken by blackwater employees. You can find them on YouTube. They drive along and if anyone gets to close behind them they are a possble threat to the VIP. So they slow down real quick or stop completely and hose the vehicles behind them with gun fire. I saw this several times.
I'm pretty sure I saw some short video of the market square shooting too. There was a young fella about 24 I'd guess with dark curly hair shooting over an SUV and laughing about how it was like a turkey shoot. "You just can't miss" he joked.
My own interest in the company died with that. Supposedly the Iraqi government revoked the companies contract and demanded they leave. I don't know if they did, haven't heard.
Long and short I know that you can't judge the many by the actions of the few. Those people still shouldn't be able to get away with that crap.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Joed757 wrote:
Found it interesting, I wouldn't mind joining being the person I am. But I'm not 100% sure, I love guns and all I want to learn tactical things and the whole nine and wouldn't mind becoming a XE employee in the long run. I read about having to have experience and all I'm only 20 so I don't know where exactly to start.Wouldn't mind getting some help from my fellow open carriers. How do you feel on the group and etc?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnQlHeCVAss

FightingGlock19

imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
I'm pretty sure I saw some short video of the market square shooting too. There was a young fella about 24 I'd guess with dark curly hair shooting over an SUV and laughing about how it was like a turkey shoot. "You just can't miss" he joked.
I know the video you're speaking of. The one with the BW dudes on top of a building.

I know one of the guys in the video. I'd be on his side any day of the week & twice on Sunday.