• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Members

heartbreakridge01

imported post

Just like to say hello, just recently moved to Virginia from Floridaand was pointed to site from a member of VCDL!

Im new to open carry but not to CC! I have been CC for about 4 years now in the state of Florida and still feeling out the VA gun laws! so far they seem pretty good for the gun owner!

nova

imported post

heartbreakridge01 wrote:
still feeling out the VA gun laws! so far they seem pretty good for the gun owner!
There are much worse states out there, that's for sure. Overall we got it good here (lots of thanks to the VCDL) but we do have a few wacky laws that are out of place...such as the 1 handgun a month law and restrictions on carrying guns w/ mags >20rds/other evil features. Luckly, a VA CHP exempts you from these laws.

Welcome to VA! :cool:

richarcm

imported post

nova wrote:
heartbreakridge01 wrote:
still feeling out the VA gun laws! so far they seem pretty good for the gun owner!
There are much worse states out there, that's for sure. Overall we got it good here (lots of thanks to the VCDL) but we do have a few wacky laws that are out of place...such as the 1 handgun a month law and restrictions on carrying guns w/ mags >20rds/other evil features. Luckly, a VA CHP exempts you from these laws.

Welcome to VA! :cool:
You can buy more than one gun per month if you have a CHP?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

heartbreakridge01 wrote:
I thought the being able to drink while OC'ing was odd to
If we get CC restaurant carry, won't be able to consume unless you switch to OC - go figure. Course it is against my own policy to imbibe while carrying anyway.

On the plus side - no legal problem with "printing."

Yata hey

darthmord

imported post

Welcome aboard.

The water is warm. You have to provide your own drinks though.

Oh and there are a few sharks that might want to nibble but pay them no heed. :lol:

darthmord

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
heartbreakridge01 wrote:
If we get CC restaurant carry, won't be able to consume unless you switch to OC - go figure. Course it is against my own policy to imbibe while carrying anyway.

Yata hey

From the following link: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#RevocationSuspensionorSurrenderofPermit

Paragraph 4 states:

'Any person granted a concealed handgun permit who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such weapon in a public place shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.'

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that mean if I have been granted a CHP, I cannot drink alcholic beverages in public while carrying? The paragraph does NOT differentiate between open or concealed.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BlvdRider wrote:
Just wanted to say hi.

We both CC and was introduced to this site from a VCDL
member.

:)
Welcome to OCDO!!!!!!!!!!!

2a4all

imported post

darthmord wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
heartbreakridge01 wrote:

Yata hey

From the following link: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#RevocationSuspensionorSurrenderofPermit

Paragraph 4 states:

'Any person granted a concealed handgun permit who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such weapon in a public place shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.'

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that mean if I have been granted a CHP, I cannot drink alcholic beverages in public while carrying? The paragraph does NOT differentiate between open or concealed.
You're right, it doesn't explicitly distinguish.

But I read it as "concealed handgun" being "such weapon", as opposed to an openly carried handgun by a CHP holder.

User, what say you?