• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

long gun OC

the rifleman

imported post

Is anyone familiar with any laws on the books or court precedents (or personal experience) with the OC of long guns in Wyoming? This could be either in a saddle scabbard or on a shoulder sling. Obviously, we're not talking about hunting here.

I'm getting out of the military in a year and planning on moving back to God's country. I'm hoping that things haven't changed too much in the last ten years.

MatieA

imported post

I can tell you that I have ridden down the highways/roads

(on a motorcycle) with a rifle slung over my daughters back, and have had no trouble. I can't cite any laws because there are 0 laws/ordinances about open carry in Wyoming that I have been able to find.

thejax

imported post

I wanted to reply to this.

I'm from Jersey. Go ahead, laugh. Anyway the laws on our state make it nearly impossible to get a LTCF for handguns because of the "justified need" rule. Yet the law also states if we have a FID (Firearms Purchaser Identification Card), we have authorization to purchase a gun (handgun or long gun) and ALSO carry an unloaded long gun. Ofcourse, your ammo must be in a locked box if you have one. Such as a small lockbox in a fannypack, when you aren't hunting.

Now the reason I am replying is I'm sure in Wyoming, if you have a rifle or shotgun slinged around your shoulder, someone may wonder why but go about yoiur business. Though legal in NJ, someone would call the cops.

So I guess my question is, how acceptable is this to carry a long arm, not just in public but in a place of business like a shopping mall or Wal-Mart in Wyoming. And does it have to be unloaded?

I moved to PA by the way so now I can carry and do what I want. Unfortunately I still work in NJ. I love disarming myself when I go to work. Makes my day. :banghead:

mdguy90

imported post

I bought my AK back in december, and walked a half mile back to my house with it in my backpack :celebrate

nothing like the muzzle of an underolder sticking out of the backpack

Majorpain

imported post

Well Drove my motorcycle around in Riverton today,(truck broke down :()with my Romanian PSL i just gotstraped to my back no problems just a few weird looks. I was out and about with it for around 2hr's from the time I got it till the time I got back home after testing it out. Took a couple main's and federal's lol.

agentX

imported post

thejax wrote:
So I guess my question is, how acceptable is this to carry a long arm, not just in public but in a place of business like a shopping mall or Wal-Mart in Wyoming. And does it have to be unloaded?

I moved to PA by the way so now I can carry and do what I want. Unfortunately I still work in NJ. I love disarming myself when I go to work. Makes my day. :banghead:
WHYYYY, in God's name wouldone want to consider walking around in a Mall with a rifle slung over one's shoulder??! As much as i beleive in the full liberty of carrying any firearm in public such an act, carrying of a long gun, under the circumstances you suggest is, in my considered opinion, ludicrous to say the least. Even wayyy back in my old days anyone of some reasonable mind wouldn't/didn't behave in such an ostentatious manner/behavior. And this day and age such behavior, strolling around a Mall like a Rambo with a long gun, invites fence sitting citizens on gun control laws to move to the left. Even I would look cross-eyed at an individual doing such a thing, and, speaking personally only, think such an individual is a moron, simpleton, no mind or all combined.

thejax

imported post

My question was how acceptable it was in Wyoming. I wouldn't do it but wondering, since I never been to Wyoming, if people do that. I understand in this day and age that people would not like it if someoene did it. Just wondering if in some parts of the country people still do it and its accepted?

shad0wfax

imported post

The last time I was in Casper, I saw a gentleman riding horseback with a very nice looking lever-gun in a rifle scabbard.

He stopped to talk to several people who were on foot and everyone was pleasant.

Based on what little I saw, I'd say it's very acceptable in Casper at least.

aadvark

imported post

I am sorry for anyone who has lived in, or otherwise been affected by, anyone who has lived in any State or any place in the country where gun rights come last, if ever at all.

It is tradition, dating back to the founding of this country, to carry any and all Firearms openly... yes this includes Rifles, er... Machine Guns.

It does not bother me at all to see anyone with a Rifle in Public, and if you are going anywhere in the South or anywhere in the West, you better had expect it to happen.

New Jersey and other like-minded politics have no place anywhere in our country outside of New England or California!

Hendu024

imported post

aadvark wrote:
I am sorry for anyone who has lived in, or otherwise been affected by, anyone who has lived in any State or any place in the country where gun rights come last, if ever at all.

It is tradition, dating back to the founding of this country, to carry any and all Firearms openly... yes this includes Rifles, er... Machine Guns.

It does not bother me at all to see anyone with a Rifle in Public, and if you are going anywhere in the South or anywhere in the West, you better had expect it to happen.

New Jersey and other like-minded politics have no place anywhere in our country outside of New England or California!
Um, Dirty Jersey isn't in New England. Please don't associate it with New England either, nobody likes New Jersey.

aadvark

imported post

To be honest I would not know the difference between Dirty Jersey and New England, but... if there is a difference than I can not tell.

Copper1225

imported post

Well don't forget that one of the states in New England is Vermont which doesn't really have much gun control at all so please don't put NJ in out catagory its bad enough we have to deal with CT and MA

Hendu024

imported post

Copper1225 wrote:
Well don't forget that one of the states in New England is Vermont which doesn't really have much gun control at all so please don't put NJ in out catagory its bad enough we have to deal with CT and MA
Maine and New Hampshire are very laid back as well. I wish we could kick MA and CT out :p

the rifleman

imported post

agentX wrote:
thejax wrote: WHYYYY, in God's name wouldone want to consider walking around in a Mall with a rifle slung over one's shoulder??! As much as i beleive in the full liberty of carrying any firearm in public such an act, carrying of a long gun, under the circumstances you suggest is, in my considered opinion, ludicrous to say the least. Even wayyy back in my old days anyone of some reasonable mind wouldn't/didn't behave in such an ostentatious manner/behavior. And this day and age such behavior, strolling around a Mall like a Rambo with a long gun, invites fence sitting citizens on gun control laws to move to the left. Even I would look cross-eyed at an individual doing such a thing, and, speaking personally only, think such an individual is a moron, simpleton, no mind or all combined.

Because, my good friend, a handgun is simply a tool that you use to fight your way to your rifle.

May I ask, why you would ever carry a hand gun? Isn't it to make sure that you never get into a fair fight? In a pinch, I guarantee you that I can end a bad situation a whole lot quicker and more decisively with an AR than with a Glock.

If I was that concerned about pushing someone to the "other side of the fence" by letting them see my gun, then I shouldn't be open carrying at all.

Thundar

imported post

the rifleman wrote:
agentX wrote:
thejax wrote: WHYYYY, in God's name wouldone want to consider walking around in a Mall with a rifle slung over one's shoulder??! As much as i beleive in the full liberty of carrying any firearm in public such an act, carrying of a long gun, under the circumstances you suggest is, in my considered opinion, ludicrous to say the least. Even wayyy back in my old days anyone of some reasonable mind wouldn't/didn't behave in such an ostentatious manner/behavior. And this day and age such behavior, strolling around a Mall like a Rambo with a long gun, invites fence sitting citizens on gun control laws to move to the left. Even I would look cross-eyed at an individual doing such a thing, and, speaking personally only, think such an individual is a moron, simpleton, no mind or all combined.

Because, my good friend, a handgun is simply a tool that you use to fight your way to your rifle.

May I ask, why you would ever carry a hand gun? Isn't it to make sure that you never get into a fair fight? In a pinch, I guarantee you that I can end a bad situation a whole lot quicker and more decisively with an AR than with a Glock.

If I was that concerned about pushing someone to the "other side of the fence" by letting them see my gun, then I shouldn't be open carrying at all.
+1000 Rifleman.

Though in the city environment the shotgun issometimes better than the rifle.

My handgun is just an emergency tool to use until I can get to the arsenal in my truck.

MichaelWDean

imported post

Ain't done it much, but I've done it, and it was not a problem.

mosin-031.jpg