• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Stockton judge stabbed -- attacker slain by cop', SacBee.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/1673650.html

Published: Thursday, Mar. 5, 2009 - 12:00 am | Page 1A STOCKTON – His family said he never should have been on the stand.
But it was in the middle of David Paradiso's testimony in his own murder trial that the Stockton man leapt from the witness stand and attacked the judge – seconds before being shot to death by the Lodi police detective who built the case against him.
The attack occurred during a brief disturbance when Paradiso's mother, Debra, was removed from the courtroom after shouting that her son should never have been asked to testify. Paradiso, 29, had just told the court that he stabbed his 20-year-old girlfriend in the neck in 2006 " 'cause she deserved to die," according to observers.
San Joaquin Superior Court Judge Cinda Fox ordered a recess and directed the jury from the courtroom. In the commotion, observers reported, Paradiso left the witness stand, walked behind the judge's bench and grabbed her from behind.
He appeared to punch and stab Fox, according to reporters from the Stockton Record and Lodi News-Sentinel newspapers who were in the Stockton courtroom.
Authorities later confirmed Fox had been stabbed with "an unknown cutting instrument," though her injuries were minor. She was treated at St. Joseph's Medical Center and later released.
As the attack unfolded, Lodi Police Detective Eric Bradley, the lead investigator in the case, jumped from his seat at the prosecution's table and fired several shots, killing Paradiso. Bradley was later placed on paid administrative leave pending investigation, as is routine in officer-involved shootings.
Chaos ensued, and the reporters described people screaming and ducking for cover. Trials were halted and the courthouse locked down. Later, the building was emptied, save for witnesses, court employees and authorities beginning their investigation.
San Joaquin County authorities released little information about the day's events.
Paradiso's family, however, had much to say. His older brother, Aaron Paradiso, was in the courtroom when the shots rang out. He saw his brother fall before rushing his own 14-year-old daughter out of the room.
Recalling the scene in a long and emotional telephone interview, Aaron Paradiso went silent. "You've got me speechless," he said. "I was just feeling my little brother's pain."
Aaron Paradiso and his family assailed lawyers' decision to put David Paradiso on the stand, saying he was a paranoid schizophrenic who had been "breaking down" in recent weeks and couldn't withstand the stress.
"They were playing with a sick man on the stand like it was a game," he said.
The Record reported Paradiso had been questioned by his defense attorney, Charles Pacheco, without problem Tuesday. But he balked when asked to take the stand Wednesday for cross-examination.
Paradiso agreed to testify after a short meeting in Fox's chambers, the paper reported.
"He was going after her jugular, just as he did to the victim in this case," Pacheco told the News-Sentinel. "He was not stopping stabbing her, going for her neck. Bradley did the right thing."
Aaron Paradiso said his brother's illness was evident in the crime he was accused of committing: In December 2006, David Paradiso allegedly stabbed his 20-year-old girlfriend, Eileen Pelt, in the neck as the two rode in the back seat of his mother's car while she drove through Lodi.
His family does not dispute his guilt. Instead, they say the defense argument that methamphetamine use prompted the violence is deficient.
"The evidence shows what it shows. But the paranoia is real," Aaron Paradiso said. "The craziness was there."
Two weeks before the killing, Aaron Paradiso said, his brother broke out the windows of a car parked outside the family's house because he was convinced that a friend was holding the family hostage.
Independently, three family members called David Paradiso's parole agent to ask that he be held for violating the terms of his parole, Aaron Paradiso said. But he said that when David Paradiso passed a drug test, nothing happened.
"I specifically told the parole officer he's a danger to himself and others," the brother said.
Aaron Paradiso said his brother began showing symptoms of mental illness when he was 16 years old. During his 20s, Paradiso feared people were "after him," his brother said.
According to previous reports in the Record, Paradiso spent time in a California Youth Authority facility before spending more than three years in state prison. He was convicted in 2003 of evading law officers and in 2004 of felony battery on a correctional officer, the paper reported.
Family members say they are incensed that their warning went unheeded two weeks ago when, they say, Paradiso admitted to them he had a knife in jail. Family members reported it to the San Joaquin County Sheriff's Department, Aaron Paradiso said, but they fear the same crude shank might have been used in Wednesday's attack.
Sheriff's spokesman Detective Dave Konecny said he had no information about those allegations.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Glad to hear the detective was able to neutralize the threat before anybody was seriously injured or killed. From the information in the article, this man was a major danger to public safety. Thankfully he now won't be a financial burden on the public for the next 20-to-life.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
I'm still looking for some relevance to open carry...
I'd be happy to oblige...

If possession of firearms were not banned in courthouses, people would be far less likely to try stunts like murdering the judge. Imagine how reluctant anybody would be to pull a stunt like that if the majority were armed.

I know that most people, even most gun enthusiasts, think the courtroom is a reasonable restriction. I think we just take it for granted because of Hollywood hype. Like everything else, the courtroom is over-dramatized. It is not an exception to the 2nd Amendment, no matter how many people agree it should be.

oilfieldtrash11

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:
I'm still looking for some relevance to open carry...
I'd be happy to oblige...

If possession of firearms were not banned in courthouses, people would be far less likely to try stunts like murdering the judge. Imagine how reluctant anybody would be to pull a stunt like that if the majority were armed.

I know that most people, even most gun enthusiasts, think the courtroom is a reasonable restriction. I think we just take it for granted because of Hollywood hype. Like everything else, the courtroom is over-dramatized. It is not an exception to the 2nd Amendment, no matter how many people agree it should be.
I agree with CA_Libertarian, my dad is an LEO and he has told me all sorts of stories that I could not believe would ever happen in and around the courthouse. I have just recently been in court for a misdemeanor that was dropped and I was thinking the same thing. I don't see why we shouldn't carry in a court, you can never tell what is going to happen as we have just read above.